Way OT: Intersting footnote to WWII history

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Way OT: Intersting footnote to WWII history

Post by jnyork »

Thought some of you might like to see this, an episode lost in the mists of history: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/news/s ... =123192836
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Re: Way OT: Intersting footnote to WWII history

Post by cnjarvis »

Very interesting. Never heard of such.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

We must have had much stronger border control back then, they could only get 33 pilots and 270 support personnel to work in our bases. Today that would read 33 pilots, 2.7 million support personnel and 5.4 million anchor babies.

That being said, yes I did know about Mexico declaring war against Germany and Japan, but even though they cut off 'diplomatic relations' with the belligerents, they still maintained economic ties. Mexico still was receiving military arms from Germany up until early '43...check out Mauser's ship docs.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I won't diaagree with mexican reluctance to join the war, but Mexico eventually joined Brazil in sending troops to fight, the only two Latin American countries to do so. I was just reading a book of WWII trivia and they mentioned a Mexican Pilot who made ACE in the Philippines against the Japanese. IIRC he was flying a p-38
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Old Time Hunter wrote:We must have had much stronger border control back then, they could only get 33 pilots and 270 support personnel to work in our bases. Today that would read 33 pilots, 2.7 million support personnel and 5.4 million anchor babies.

That being said, yes I did know about Mexico declaring war against Germany and Japan, but even though they cut off 'diplomatic relations' with the belligerents, they still maintained economic ties. Mexico still was receiving military arms from Germany up until early '43...check out Mauser's ship docs.
Germany was arming our Alli?

I wonder who finally tipped them off?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Actually there was collusion between the mx govt and germany and japan. There's a famous german telegram that got intercepted, but my gray cell is coming up blank about the juicy details. Hopefully someone has that total recall.

The japanese were trying to set up a harbor on their west coast where they could support and send an army north to open another front against America.
The germans were trying to get mx to declare war against us. Murky details.

Interesting about the mx flyers, glad that didn't disappear in the past.

Grizz
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Grizz wrote:Actually there was collusion between the mx govt and germany and japan. There's a famous german telegram that got intercepted, but my gray cell is coming up blank about the juicy details. Hopefully someone has that total recall.
Grizz
That cable incident was frp, WWI. The Germans were encouraging the mexicans to launch El Reconquista with German Armaments and possibly some troops. i can't remember the name of the German diplomat who sent the cable.

Our interception of the cable lead to an end of arms sales to mexico and a big force stationed along the border, which in turn lead to the Columbus, NM attack by Pancho Villa and the Punitive Expedition.

I actually think that the Puntitive Expedition was more about showing the Mexican government that the US Army could kick butt as much as it was to chase Villa.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Doc Hudson wrote:That cable incident was frp, WWI. The Germans were encouraging the mexicans to launch El Reconquista with German Armaments and possibly some troops. i can't remember the name of the German diplomat who sent the cable.
Zimmermann
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Doc

yeah, ww1. small temporal disorientation. and zimmerman is right too. I conflated two wars.... ah, the joys of advancing

:arrow: Grizz
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

awp101 wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote:That cable incident was frp, WWI. The Germans were encouraging the mexicans to launch El Reconquista with German Armaments and possibly some troops. i can't remember the name of the German diplomat who sent the cable.
Zimmermann
Thanks! I knew the darned name aas well as I know the way to the next town, but I just couldn't call it to mind when I started typing.

Ah the joys of CRS!! You know how it is. You can remember in glowing detail a shot you made in 1977 but can't remember what you had for supper last night.

Image Image
UNITE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Doc Hudson wrote:Ah the joys of CRS!! You know how it is. You can remember in glowing detail a shot you made in 1977 but can't remember what you had for supper last night.
Last night? I can't say for sure what I had for breakfast this morning! The really sad part is that I only drink coffee for breakfast... :lol:

I may grow old but I refuse to grow up! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I cant even remember if I HAD any breakfast!! :D