OT: What pocket pistol to get??? UPDATE with PHOTO...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: What pocket pistol to get???

Post by Bogie35 »

KCSO,
That's a great point. I think I will do that. I'm sure I can start bigger than a 22, but I may not want a 357 mag yet! :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I'm going to make the case for not carrying a "pocket" pistol. You can carry a full size gun fairly easily, and it's better to have a gun 24/7 than when you "think" you might need it. When/if you have to fight, what do you want to have in your hand; a pocket gun, or a full size fighting pistol? Dress around the darn gun!

Please spare me "the first rule of a gunfight..." blah, blah, blah. :roll: Pack an actual fighting gun, Glock 19 9mm, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum, Gov't 1911 .45ACP, whatever. I'm tired of hearing about "light, easy to conceal," etc., etc. How about thinking what we may have to do with it?
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I guess that's the difference between a "defensive" gun and a "fighting" pistol.

One is for Fighting, the other is to STOP a fight one isn't interested in gettig into...

I'll still carry my SP101, but I dont feel bad about carrying anything larger than a .32...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Steve,
Really don't know if I can agree totally with your view on not carrying the light/small stuff.
Let's take a look at the Smith & Wesson Model 642/ Model 442 SAF or even the 340 M&P
How much better for a 24/7 gun can their be? I feel like I think most guy's on here think,it's a last resort deal and will tend to be a fairly close encounter.
With the proper 158gr bullet don't see how it wont do the job with very good success.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I understand the thinking, but you need to realize, bad guys travel in packs, and five rounds probably won't be enough. They won't be standing still, and if you're smart you won't be either. Ever try and shoot that 5 shot snubby on the move? How about reload it? Real life is not the square range, guys. Threats are different now, and you have to be prepared for them.

I carry a Glock 19 9mm and 2 spare magazines, concealed, every day. Whatever happens, I know I'm gonna be the one to handle it. I won't have backup from the local PD, or a military squad anymore. You don't get to choose the fight, it'll be what it is. If you don't start thinking a little bit offensively in todays world, you're behind the power curve already. I've never been in a fight and wished I had a smaller gun... :roll:

Are there times to have a smaller gun? Sure. I have a 642 and a Seecamp .32 for those occasions. But I make a point of doing everything I can to have my primary gun with me. You may only get one shot (pardon the pun;) make sure it's better than the other guys.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

The very smallest I carry is a HighStanderd .22Mag derringer,with a 45 grain JHP at over 1200 fps,and a muzzel flash that can be offending it could make the difference if your aim is good.

I also carry an empty 12 guage shell that has 4 extra shells in it(the crimp can be squesed and the shells just drop out) you can carry 22mag shells in your shirt pocket or just anywhere!

Bob
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Steve Collins wrote:I understand the thinking, but you need to realize, bad guys travel in packs, and five rounds probably won't be enough. They won't be standing still, and if you're smart you won't be either. Ever try and shoot that 5 shot snubby on the move? How about reload it? Real life is not the square range, guys. Threats are different now, and you have to be prepared for them.

I carry a Glock 19 9mm and 2 spare magazines, concealed, every day. Whatever happens, I know I'm gonna be the one to handle it. I won't have backup from the local PD, or a military squad anymore. You don't get to choose the fight, it'll be what it is. If you don't start thinking a little bit offensively in todays world, you're behind the power curve already. I've never been in a fight and wished I had a smaller gun... :roll:

Are there times to have a smaller gun? Sure. I have a 642 and a Seecamp .32 for those occasions. But I make a point of doing everything I can to have my primary gun with me. You may only get one shot (pardon the pun;) make sure it's better than the other guys.
-------
Some very good points here. For convenience in going about daily business, I've got an Airweight (.32M) and it's great--and don't feel undergunned (in general). Incredible "lightness of being" and follow-up/on target controllability of a quick 6 (1+5) trumps one or two larger/magnum misses, especially out of platforms you don't want to be hauling around in the first place. But, as this gent points out, there are a whole lot of circumstances I can see where one could quickly become such (undergunned/overwhelmed) in a hurry...not due to caliber so much....but the format/platform. I like to make sure more and bigger is at least close at hand when--for me--it's not easy to actually have that actually on your person. But, this gives pause--and cause--for having more useful "firepower" much closer at hand. As they say, to buy you more time to get to a "real" (long) gun--or at the very least better cover for regrouping. Right now, my various .40s, 44s, and .357s (Ks) are a bit chunky/hefty to be optimal for this suggested "on person" duty--great though they may be for general (open) carry, car or HD. Once the "more optimal" primary platform/configuration is figured out, I can see that Airweight/J relegated to great BUG duty as pocket, off hand hip or ankle duty.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I prefer 9mm to .380 and more shots than what I can get in a 5-shot snubbie. I also prefer an option to shoot beyond hand holding range (e.g., out to 15-20 yards in a hostage situation). For me, the only "pocket" 9mm's are the Kahr PM9 and Rohrbaugh R9s. Either one gives you an advantage over a snubbie (accurracy and capacity), not to mention they are thinner and don't print as much (and extra mags print far less than speed loaders as well as providing faster reloads in a tactical situation). If you carry IWB (the tuckable holster versions offer good concealment), then a number of other models become viable, all with higher capacity -- e.g., Glock G26, Walther PPS, S&W M&P compact, Taurus 709 Slim, Kel-Tec P-11, Springfield EMP, etc.

For me, I chose the PM9. It's accurate as all get out, shoots +P ammo, has night sights, fits in my pants pockets and met my price considerations. I do wish I had saved for a Rohrbaugh, though. It's the ultimate pocket 9mm -- about the size of a P3AT and shoots 9mm accurately out to 25 yards.

If you decide to go the .380 route, check out the new DiamondBack .380. I like it better than the P3AT and the Ruger LCP.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

An interesting topic. Before this started I knew absolutely nothing on the subject, but was interested in it. I was actually thinking of a Taurus 617 because of the 7 round cylinder, but have never seen one in person. I still want to check one out as I am a Taurus fan. Now you guys have thrown in a bunch more possibilities for me, thank you for the interesting subject. On 2 different bow hunting occasions last fall I was followed out 2 miles by wolves. They kept their distance of 40 yards or so, but I was nervous in the dark. Not sure if they were curious or what their intent was, but the piece I want is not just for the bad guys. This is the reason of my interest in the 7 round cylinder 357. If it can double as a pocket piece all the better.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I vascillate on this topic all the time. In the past I have carried many of the firearms mentioned above. I have used a freedom arms SA .22/22 mag in my boot, a casull .22 in my pocket, the pp, ppk, ppks, colt mustang, colt officers, colt chiefs .38, smith 60, 640, 19, 66, 10, 629, 41, rohrbaugh 9mm, berreta .22, .32, 9mm, too many .45s to name but Colt, Sig, Springfield, Kimber all come to mind, sigs in .380,9, and .45. I have used Single action, black powder, Double action, Semi in single and DAO, derringers, wheel guns and semis. In each case, I think I had at the time, the most logical firearm for me, for the circumstance and most likely situations. I guess the point is just that, what works for one, may not work for others. your style of dress, your place of business, what you drive to and from, what restrictions are in place on your ccw, where you are going that day, what you anticipate and what is most likely. I carry a different firearm to church than I do to work, then I do with woods walking, then I do when I travel out of town. I use to travel deep into bad parts of the city because of business, now I work on a university. My travels take me in and out of two states daily, sometimes three. all have different laws. Sometimes my go to small arm is in a pocket in my pants, or leg holster, or in my jacket, or on my hip, behind my back, in my back pack, or in a pouch on my bicylce, or in my truck or in a book bag, or somewhere on my motorcylce. Whatever I carry, know that i shoot it a lot, that I am very confident in its reliability and with my ability with it. It is never out of arms reach, never. Sometimes I have two on me just to ensure that is the case. I favor wheel guns over semis though there is nothing like a finely tuned shooting machine in a semi for your confidence. Because of my work, I have gone to mostly a short barrel J-Frame, derringer, or my ruger speed six, with the later getting most of the carry currently. That is normally now in my book bag to and from work. In my pocket, during the day when I am out and about and not carrying my book bag, I have a seecamp .32 in my rear pocket. I carry a spare clip in the off side front pocket. In my vehicle, I carry my .357 lever rifle. I carry a box of ammo in my back pack for each firearm I have. In my back back, I have enough items to take to the back trails should roads become impassable due to a natural or unnatural disaster, and to get me two days of travel to reach home base. In good weather, I carry a bike in my truck with other items. Knives are equally important and I have several near me all the time.

Great topic, but an impossible question to answer from my perspective due to the many variables mentioned above. Good luck on your choice and may we be ready should the time come, and pray that we never need those ccw's.

As a side note, outside of the military, the only times I pulled a gun on a person was during an attempted robbery of myself (I had a NAA SA .22lr in my back pocket) and of an attempt by three others to rob the gun store I was working in. I had a .45 in my hand that day. In both cases, the bad guys did not get what they wanted.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Mike, well said. Based on our numerous conversations on the topic, you know where I stand, and couldn't agree more that a number of factors influence the decision.

I was responding to the OPs specific requirements -- gang attacks (therefore multiple assailants), pocket pistol, two-legged predators vs. four, local environment, etc. The recommendation would have been different if it was for a woods gun, the OP was willing to carry a fuller-sized gun, needed to carry at work or social occasions, etc.

One gun does not fit all needs, in all seasons, with all styles of clothing, locales, etc.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike,
You are one "hard core" Dude!
Guy, That was one of the best explanations/evaluations I have ever read.(you have a way with words)
You my friend would be the wrong guy to mess with,that is a fact.

Guy,while I was memorized reading your post(I almost dropped my coffee about the different gun at church :o ) When you say you always have a gun---You mean it!

Man, You for sure are on a different level than me.
I am starting to get somthing of a "wake up call" to what could happen even in this Mayberry place I live.

Points well taken and Thanks. Mike------------------You da Man! :mrgreen:
alnitak, with Mike as your brother, you got some major "I got your back" going on there. :wink:
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

madman4570 wrote: alnitak, with Mike as your brother, you got some major "I got your back" going on there. :wink:
Absolutely!! No finer man I know ... besides our Dad.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I bet your not too bad either! God Bless your whole Family!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

madman4570 wrote:God Bless your whole Family!
Thanks Madman. Hope we get to meet up with you someday ... I enjoy your posts.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

alnitak,

That would be really great to hookup somtime.
I also enjoy your posts and the bro's posts as well!
See ya!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Alnitak, we have had this discussion many times. You know I have a hard time making my mind up on these things, despite having rather deep rooted opinions. :lol: Dad is a much better man than I could ever hope to aspire to. And we have had each others back for a lot of years.

Madman, perhaps you have not addressed the CCW issues because your more than capable of taking care of most situations through your martial skills. I must just be compensating for for my lack of prowess in that area. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Another vote for a light weight J frame.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

rjohns94 wrote:Madman, perhaps you have not addressed the CCW issues because your more than capable of taking care of most situations through your martial skills. :lol:

Mike,

Really, I think it's more where I live and the area being very sedate. I Think the Martial Arts deal for me was because I had somthing to prove being the youngest of three boys and just because I was younger I wanted to be as tough or tougher than them. Its funny"now" :lol: both older brothers would gang up on me when I was young, pin me down and try tickeling me till I almost would pass out and while I was gasping trying to spit in my open gasping mouth(really most times just pretending to now that I reflect on it) :roll: Nice Brother's :shock: --------------Really, their the best! But I did think back then,Nope they are not going to be doing that any more soon! :idea: They did get a kick out of it though(pardon the pun)
But honestly, those days, things seemed so much different.You did not dare to insult the older guys because they would just all get out and kick your butt.There was respect.Now a days most areas the game/rules have changed and I know those skills of mine are not up to stopping any bullet etc. :wink:
Truthfully, I probably should/will defintely be carrying more myself. Same with wife!
Heck, even the Martial Arts Game has changed so much now with the UFC type(MMA) skills the Ultimate Fighter types use now a days.(very impressive stuff indeed) but, same with that, nothing can beat a well placed defense round if that was to be unfortunately the very last resort of defense.Hope I never have to find out.
See ya!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Being the oldest of three boys,... I can relate, MadMan. But most of my stomping was on #2 son,... he would pick on #3 and I didn't like that much.

:lol: 8) :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ya, I thought thats the way it was suppose to go too! :wink:
Your a good brother 76/444 :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I normally carry a P3AT in a pancake style pocket holster in my hip pocket. Working for a company which prides itself on not letting employees stand up for themselves, Wal Mart, I don't feel that I should be on the job without something. I was told by an operator for the customer service department at the home office on Saturday that a customer screaming, cursing, and calling racial names to someone I work with was not reason to have the customer removed. I was also told that if the police were called, then I would lose my job. That was on a 3 way call, and the customer has become even more abusive since then.
For summer concealment when I cannot hide even the Kel-Tec, I have a NAA Mini in 22 Magnum. I still prefer to use my head and situational awareness rather than depend on the gun.
For both months of cooler weather I have a S&W Model 99 compact in .40 cal in an IWB holster.
Due to the weight and its ability to shoot +P ammo, I plan on getting a Kel-Tec P-9 very soon.

the edit here: Wal Mart does not follow any required law to notify employees that concealed carry is prohibited. In all of the paperwork signed by me, this was not mentioned. Legally in TX they cannot fire me if I happen to forget some day and bring the firearm with me into work. They can, however, notify me that such an incident will result in firing if it happens again IF AND ONLY IF they produce the proper TX approved paperwork for me to sign. Remember, Wal Mart does disregard the law. I have seen proof that they keep records of firearm purchases forever.
Last edited by piller on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Steve Collins wrote:I'm going to make the case for not carrying a "pocket" pistol. You can carry a full size gun fairly easily, and it's better to have a gun 24/7 than when you "think" you might need it. When/if you have to fight, what do you want to have in your hand; a pocket gun, or a full size fighting pistol? Dress around the darn gun!
Steve has made some very good points and I can't disagree with any of them.

It is true that I've carried a pocket pistol of some sort for most of the last 33 years. But most of the time it was as a second gun. The assorted pocket pistols served as backup for a full-sized fighting handgun on my belt.

I especially agree with Steve's admonition to dress around your carry gun. I've advocated that for decades. There have been lots of fashion trends that attracted me over the years, but since they did not lend themselves to concealed carry, I never wore them.

Over the years I've carried a wide variety of full-sized handguns, 4" .357 magnum's, .45 ACP's, a Taurus PT-92 and an assortment of SA revolvers in barrel lengths raning from 4 to 8". It was a rare event for anyone who didn't know me and know that I am always armed to spot what and where I carried. (It became something of a game with some of my friends to try to spot what i was packing and where it was concealed. They didn't win the game very often.)

Yes it is easier to shoot a service sized pistol or revolver than a pocket pistol, especially at longer ranges. But don't buy into the myth that pocket revolvers can't hit anything beyond card table ranges. With only a little practice a competent handgunner can easily put all five shots from a J-frame snubby into the chest area of a B-27 Target at 100 yards. Even my old TP-22, with it's less than 3" barrel, including the chamber, is capable of regularly popping soda cans at 50 yards. Having less than 4" of barrel is not as big a handicap as some folks believe.

While I'm on the soap box, I might as well address another fad that is simply beyond my comprehension. The current craze for mosquito-weight handguns, and rifles come to that.

You know, I don't understand how some folks think they can handle the recoil of a 12-ounce .357 Magnum when some well seasoned handgunners find the recoil of my 25-ounce M-640 to be unpleasant? I mean the makers tell buyers not to use lead bullets in those skeeter-weight poppers because the recoil will make them jump crimp. There are .357 Magnum revolvers on the market that are actually lighter than my Mom's elderly M-37 Air Weight Chief's Special .38 Spl!

People tell me that they want a lightweight handgun because a steel one is just too heavy and uncomfortable for them. My response to that is HORSE MANURE! I have literally worn a gun belt with a 40-ounce revolver, 18 rounds of ammo and assorted equipment for several days at a time without removing it, even during the brief cat naps that passed for sleep. I did not find the weight of the revolver and gunbelt to be tiring. IMO if a person lacks the strength to easily pack a 36-40 ounce handgun without being tired by it they don't have the strength to handle a skeeter-weight revolver.

If a person finds a service-sized handgun to be uncomfortable or tiring to carry, the solution is not a skeeter-weight version of the same gun but BETTER GUNLEATHER! A good stiff belt and a good quality holster that fits the belt snugly is far more comfortable than to wear than a soft, too narrow belt and soft holster that permits you handgun to move around and slap your side with every step..

In addition to the recoil reduction steel handguns have another advantage over their skeeter-weight relatives. If you find yourself in need of whacking some ne'er-do-well along side the jaw with your handgun, a 25-ounce revolver has lots more authority than one weighing 12-ounces. I know for a fact that whacking a fellow's jaw with a 20 ounce revolver will make him spit teeth for a while.

You'd have better luck peeing on my leg and trying to convince me it is raining than convincing me that a 12-ounce .357 magnum is a suitable replacement for a 25-ounce revolver, or that a 29-ounce .44 RemMag is a suitable replacement for one weighing 44 ounces or mor. And you'd have no better luck convincing me that a 7-ounce .32 aCP is a good replacement for a 34-ounce .45 ACP.

What it boils down to is this. Decide what handgun you are going to carry. Decide how you want to carry it. Buy the best available gunleather. Dress around your weapon. Always have your weapon within arms reach. There is no reasonable sized handgun that cannot be concealed by a determined pistol packer.

One final thing. Some one, Blaine IIRC, said that no single handgun will serve for all occasions. He is 100% correct! Furthermore one holster won't do for all occasions either. Expect to accumulate two or three CCW pieces and a whole box full of holsters over the years. The weapon you are trying to select now is merely the first of a long line to come.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My 2p on small handguns & felt recoil...

To ME it's much easier to be on target & follow up with my SP101 if I'm "loaded for bear" and shooting 180gr loads than ANY lighter load - including my "general purpose" 158 LSWCHP and certainly easier than the 125gr "uber defense" loads.

I've found that the "heavy+moderate speed" is easier to shoot in ALL CALIBERS I've owned - from .38 to .45. I used to drive my IDPA shooting team nuts by competing with a Glock 27 shooting 180gr bullets while everyone else was gaming their 9mms...

I guess that my personal preference is to "roll" vs "snap"...

On "mosquito guns", My "mosquito gun" (NAA .32ACP) is really my BUG &/or the gun I'm carrying when I can't carry any other - like when I'm swimming (yes, I wear a gun while swimming... esp in Lk Michigan...)or wearing bicycle shorts.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Some very interesting points Guy's----Thanks

piller,
One thing to remember guy is everyone and anyone has possible access to a Forum like this.
If I were you(just a recomendation guy,certainly your call)I would not mention any negative information
dealing for the named Corporation in which you work.(Actually saying the Name or that at that place named you implicate packing a weapon) Remember,it would be very easy to trace this to you by various methods which may not serve you well.Just be careful is all I am saying.With jobs so scarce now a days dont need to lose one by that means.If it was me I would edit out that stuff on your posts?
Take care and all the best.
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I really hate to admit it, but Madman is right. That post could come back and bite you in the butt.

i hate it not because Madman said it, but because it is true.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thanks Doc! :wink: piller, I am removing the quote section on my post.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

It is when I read threads like these that I so much regret living in Illinois, carrying here is a felony, no permit available. Strange I can have a non-resident CCW, yet cannot carry here. :evil: Sad thing is, its not apt to change anytime soon. I know some will say move, but roots go down pretty deep sometimes and at 57yrs of age it would be hard to start over somewhere else. Closest I can come here to carry is a unloaded gun in a fanny pack or some other completely closed container. And that is debatable depending on where your at. Draw, load and fire in a real emergency is pretty tough I would imagine. Better see the threat coming far in advance.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

ceb,
I was 56 when I retired and moved.
Having said that, I had planned for years, and purchased property and items well in advance of the move.
Perhaps that will help, keep in mind I am single, no children, not deeply rooted in family.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

It is hard to beat a J frame Smith. For the money the Model 642 is probably the best choice. It is light enough to carry easily but a lot less expensive than the uber-light models that really aren't that much lighter.

I carry a Smith 640 in my front pants pocket all day, every day at work. It is all steel but it is not too heavy. I keep it in a Kramer pocket holster so is doesn't turn upside down or wear a hole in my pocket. My gun is the older 38 Special only version of the 640.

If you are going to wear a gun in a holster there is no reason to choose a small gun like a J frame. For pocket carry they are ideal as long as they have the 2" barrel.

Small automatics can not offer the reliability or bullet weight of a 38 Special revolver. Most of them only give you one more round and the trade off is not worth it.

It is a sinking feeling when you need a gun and all you have is a J frame. It is always best to have a better gun like a Glock 19 or Govt Model. A J frame sure beats the hell out of nothing though.

Here is my 640. It is a lot easier to shoot well with than the lighter 642.

Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I´ve decided on two guns:

a Walther PPK in 9 mm Short / .380 Auto / Corto. Carried ALWAYS with at least one spare mag. With Magtech SCHP´s.

OR a Colt Det Special, 2", with the shrouded ejector housing and the better grip. Carried with Rem 158 grs LHP´s, or Magtech´s 125 grs JSP´s.

A Glock 19 is not really THAT bigger, and I loved mine!

( but only a TPH tops a PPK for slimness!! )

Hermann
revolvergeek
Levergunner

Post by revolvergeek »

jeepnik wrote:5 shot .38. Pick the flavor of your choice, be it blued steel, stainless steel or one of the lightweight materials. Either a bobbed or "hamerless" design works best for pocket carry. Make sure you get a good pocket holster. They keep your revolver gunk free and in the proper position to draw.
Exactly. I am a big fan of the various S&W Centennial (enclosed hammer) myself. .357 gives you nice options, but .38 is great with good ammo. The all stainless gun kicks less and is more pleasant to shoot, but the Airweight / AirLite guns sometimes carry much easier, especially in a dress pants or coat pocket. For a dedicated pocket gun, a 442/642/342/340 gets my vote (and the new .22mag Airweight Centennial that they are coming out with might be interesting also for some circumstances ;) ).
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: What pocket pistol to get??? UPDATE with PHOTO...

Post by Bogie35 »

Hope YK likes the update photo! :D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
oldschooler
Levergunner

Post by oldschooler »

I see now the OP has chosen a Taurus 605 .357 Mag. Good carry gun and the Taurus revolver is a standard in the industry. I've had several over the years and two of them at the moment.

I would humbly recommend the use of .38 Spl +P ammo in the weapon for practice. The .357 Mag can be brutal in the short barrels - tons of recoil and blast. The +P .38's approximate the magnum rounds effect, while still leaving some of the skin on your knuckles.

For carry, the magnum round is a good choice IMHO, although it should be stressed again that it offers a challenge to the shooter... and to any perpetrator who deserves shooting.
Practice with it so you 'll know what to expect.

Congrats and welcome to the club of Those Who Would Protect Themselves.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Just got back from the range. After spraying the first few around a little, I got more comfortable. The last 5 shots at 7 yards formed a 1.5" group. Not bad for my first time shooting a high powered snubbie. I think the gun is a lot better than I am! :wink:

I was using Magtech 38 Special 158 grain loads that advertise 755 fps out of a 4" barrel, so recoil was very tolerable. However, I don't think I'm ready for full 357's yet! :o

bogie
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like 180gr loads out of a snubby (any snubby). To me, the recoil is significantly less sharp/snappy.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Yep. From my limited experience with rifle cartridges, heavy and slower usually means less recoil. At some point the lighter loads' velocities "cross the line" and start to hurt.

Regardless, I'm going to gradually work my way up to the heavier loads. Yesterday, my only flinch was on the first one, because I've never fired a powerful handgun. I think I even gritted my teeth and closed my eyes! :D After I realized it wasn't so bad, I was steady and didn't even blink. :wink:

bogie
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Full house 357's will definitely get your attention out of those little snubbies. When I qualify with mine it's like putting my hand on an anvil and smacking it with a 2 lbs. ballpeen hammer. Shooting standard 38's I can do that all day. Oh, and the fullhouse loads tend to start peeling skin off my thumb because I have the rubber secret service style grips. In a real world situation I'd never feel it, but practice/qualifying is totally different.
Old Law Dawg
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

It would be kinder to your hand if you replaced the rubber grips with either wood or plasti that doesn't grip either skin or clothing.

I just do not like rubber grips!

Image Image
UNITE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! That Taurus will serve you well.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bogie35 wrote:Yep. From my limited experience with rifle cartridges, heavy and slower usually means less recoil. At some point the lighter loads' velocities "cross the line" and start to hurt.

Regardless, I'm going to gradually work my way up to the heavier loads. Yesterday, my only flinch was on the first one, because I've never fired a powerful handgun. I think I even gritted my teeth and closed my eyes! :D After I realized it wasn't so bad, I was steady and didn't even blink. :wink:

bogie
Oh... I dunno about "slow"... my 180s hit 1200fps from my SP101... :twisted:

BUT, FWIW, my general "carry" load is the Federal Premium 180gr SJHP... (they are using "cast-Core" now, but I have the older version...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Its a little late in the thread I guess, but here is mine. DAO Taurus .38 SPC

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bogie35 wrote:UPDATE: I decided to get the Taurus 605 in 357 Mag. I am officially a handgun owner now!! Yeeehaw! Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom!

bogie
Nice, That will do Bogie :mrgreen:
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Good choice. I carry an older Taurus ported 905 .357 as a pocket gun and my daughter's carry gun is a .357 605. After a trigger job and changing out the factory boot grips with some slightly larger rubber wrap-a-rounds from Taurus I took her to the range to check it out. After about 4 hours and 300 rounds of heavy .38's she fired 5 rounds of Remington .357 125gr HP's into the 10 and X ring of a B27 target just under 3 seconds.

Good enough for me to be comfortable with her abilities and the gun.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i like 148gr. .38 special for target shooting and eatable small game. hunting and bear protection is the 180gr hardcast from buffaloe bore,also self -defence from my taurus 669 4".