To cast or not to cast...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

To cast or not to cast...

Post by Goat »

Hello my name is "Goat". I am an addict. I have been addicted to guns all my life. I am a Marlin levergun addict. I "need" more and more of them and I do not want to quit. I do NOT get to hunt with them nearly enough nor do I get to shoot them nearly enough. I like them in "different" calibers and configurations. I always want what was discontinued or never made. I cannot afford the habit but do it anyway...
Now to the topic. Since I enjoy handloading everything I shoot should I make the jump to casting my own??? I will not have lots of excessive time to give to another "hobby" but think it would be a way to shoot more. I know I would like the satisfacion of killing game with my own bullet since I have not killed a deer with a factory round from my own rifle in twenty years. How expensive and how difficult is it to start casting your own? I would likely start out by casting for my 38/55 then move to .41 and .35 calibers. I have read some on the topic but would really like to hear from those who have tried it. I want honest opinions about the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of casting your own. Tell me about the things I must have and things a beginner should stay away from. I am reasonably intelligent, can follow instructions and like to work with my hands and my mind. So, to cast or not to cast... that is the question.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: To cast or not to cast...

Post by Terry Murbach »

ABSOLUTELY !!!!! AND THE REASON IS TO HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OF YOUR OWN DESTINY.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep You Are MY Denstny :? .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Cast.

The only reason not to may be the lack of cheap alloy (wheel weights) in your area.

Let's say you shoot .357.

Start with the world's best .357 mould - the Lyman 358156HP single cavity.

Get a simple dipper and you can start casting/moulding over a campfire with nothing else but Lead and a #10 steel can. No ingots, just skim, dip & pour. Add a Lee Loader, powder and a pile of primers and you are ready for the Zombie Apocolypse.

Or, you can (if you have a GOOD (100cfm+) vent hood) work on an electric stove/hotplate with a STAINLESS STEEL saucepan to make ingots. Works well, and handles about 30# at a time (though s...l...o...w...l...y...).
Same deal done outside on a camp stove and a saucepan & Lee 4x1# Ingot Mould. Works well, and handles about 30# at a time.
But, I'm a "bottom pour" guy, so a Lee Production Pot (see the pot behind the hotplate above) is my next choice, followed by a turkey fryer burner and a STAINLESS STEEL stock pot for smelting Wheel Weights.
You can go simple & cheap or radical & fancy. I went Cheap - even as I increased in volume. Search out your local "Cheap Chinese stuff Store" and find a set of Spun Stainless Stockpots. You can get one suitable for smelting got less than $15 (or $50 a set of 4)

Become one with your boolits... cast your own... and come over to http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php to get more detailed (non Levergun) skinny.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can set up for casting reasonably cheap by going with Lee equipment. You'll probably end up getting better quality molds along the way, and a good dipper like Lymans.
Get ahold of a good book such as the Lyman 49th reload manual and read the section on bullet casting, and jump in with both feet. Even if you have to buy certified alloy you can cast your own cheaper than commericial cast stuff.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I really, really like the Lee 20 bottom pour pot, plus it has adjustable heating, so you can cast at what temp you want.

I think you will really enjoy casting.

Steve
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I feel your pain Goat. I've been toying off and on with the idea of casting for a couple years now. Unlike you, I don't really care for reloading but DO LIKE to work up loads (i.e. HANDLOADING) and there is something about having a load come together that makes my scalp tingle and a smile come to my face. So I still think about dabbling in the art.

I'm really like the way Old Ironsights is thinkin for starters. A pot, a dipper and a few molds and see what pops out when I'm done. He mentioned the .357 mold (I'm making notes!) and Don brought up the Lyman dipper.

I'd like to see other suggestions for "worlds best" molds for the .22's (rifle), the .32's(handgun) and the .30's(Rifle).

LK
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I buy all my pistol and common rifle bullets at our local gun shows. There are 2 or 3 vendors that sell very good bullets. My time is worth something so I only cast my bullets for the gong and silhouette shoots, + or - a grain.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I have read about this mould many times over the last few years.
Is this mould still available, or would you need to find it second hand?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

HEY, careful about throwing that "addict" label around.... Those guys have to attend meetings!

Cast. And make a choice. Like reloading, you either cast to shoot, or shoot to cast. But, if it feels like a chore, don't.

And for heavens sake, be careful. READ all you can lay your hands about the art and science of casting. Start with Lyman's excellent tome about casting. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Study other specifics at Los Angeles Silhouette Club Cast Bullet Notes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

gundownunder wrote:
I have read about this mould many times over the last few years.
Is this mould still available, or would you need to find it second hand?
Dunno about Down Under, but it's a stocked item here... Lyman still sells the 2cav directly, and having one cav of the 2 pinned for HP is no big deal... (Talk to "Buckshot" at Cast Boolits or a few other guys with the proper mill...)

I actually have a Single Cavity HP/GC mould and a 2 Cav PB mould... The GC shank is really only necessary if you plan on driving it past 1500-1800 dependong on alloy...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well I started last spring and basically I found that spring is casting time. When it's to muddy to do anything outside and I'm tired of being inside at nights. I sit in the doorway of the garage and cast off and on for a few weeks and you wil find that you'll have enough to get through the year. Clean up your stuff and put it away till next year. Just lube and size them as you need them.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I've been casting and reloading for several years. I have always done it at my uncle's house, so I have used his molds and his lube sizer. I just ordered my own, and for all the molds I need from Lee, and a Lyman lube sizer, I paid around $275 for all of it. I already have a melting pot, but I think Lee's 20 pound pot runs about $60. I would definitely cast if I were you. In the long run it's worth it if you shoot quite a bit. It's especially worth it if you have a free/cheap source of lead, like a tire shop.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Casting boolits is the natural progression from reloading. It can be started quite simply, but if too simple your results may leave a bad taste for casting. I use a Coleman single burner propane stove with a home made steel pot to melt and alloy/mix/clean the lead I scrounge. I used to use this set-up for casting too. I had a Lee dipper and a couple Lee molds for my .44s and made a whole slew of boolits that way. I pan lubed and tumble lube and use a Lee push through die for sizing and attaching gas checks. Dunno how much I had invested at that point (I've got a Lee bottom pour pot, several molds from Lee, Lyman, and RCBS, a bunch of tools and accessories and more Lee dies now), but it wasn't a lot. I'd suggest as a first purchase Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Just like anything else, try it a few times, give it a chance, and you'll prolly like it.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Start by casting what you need but cannot find being commercially cast.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You can't be a hard core addict if you don't cast. You might try looking at www.castbullet.com and see if you and Junior live close by. Even his web site would be a big help to you.

I see Joe melting lead in SS pots and I guess it's OK but personally I'd rather use cast iron. I guess it's a personal thing but that heavy cast iron just makes me feel better. I started casting with a small iron frying pan and a Coleman stove in the garage. When funds allowed I got a Lee bottom pour furnace. Some people will say that Lee makes products of a lesser quality but I can honestly say I've never had problems with any of their stuff.

As Hobie said buy what you can that suits your needs and when you want something that you can't find any other way, cast it yourself.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My 2 cents here, see if you can get a reliable source of lead(not zinc) wheel weights, first. The only way it makes economic sense is if you can get the lead or WW at a reasonable price. Try tire shops,recyclers, TRUCK STOPS, local garages ect. If you find you can get WW, start small, old cast iron pot and a ladle on a coleman stove is about as economic as it gets. As you learn more you will find the things that make life easier on YOU. What works for me may not work as well for you. I suggest going to Castboolits and reading the stickies and then ask all the questions you have. It is not hard(but you should know what you are doing) but more of an art than really a science. If I can learn to do it you can too.
PLease feel free to PM any questions you have and I'll do whatever I can to help. Good luck and wear long sleeves. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

Goat wrote:Hello my name is "Goat". I am an addict. I have been addicted to guns all my life. I am a Marlin levergun addict. I "need" more and more of them and I do not want to quit. I do NOT get to hunt with them nearly enough nor do I get to shoot them nearly enough. I like them in "different" calibers and configurations. I always want what was discontinued or never made. I cannot afford the habit but do it anyway...
Now to the topic. Since I enjoy handloading everything I shoot should I make the jump to casting my own??? I will not have lots of excessive time to give to another "hobby" but think it would be a way to shoot more. I know I would like the satisfacion of killing game with my own bullet since I have not killed a deer with a factory round from my own rifle in twenty years. How expensive and how difficult is it to start casting your own? I would likely start out by casting for my 38/55 then move to .41 and .35 calibers. I have read some on the topic but would really like to hear from those who have tried it. I want honest opinions about the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of casting your own. Tell me about the things I must have and things a beginner should stay away from. I am reasonably intelligent, can follow instructions and like to work with my hands and my mind. So, to cast or not to cast... that is the question.
Goat

Naw, fuggedabowdit. Time consuming, dirty, dangerous. First you have to cast them, then size and lube them. Don't forget about slugging your bore to make sure you are using the right sized projectile, and the time necessary to try out several different molds / castings to get the one that fits your firearm correctly.

Did I mention the curse of Gaschecks?

Stick to what you know and have time for already.

Besides, there's enough of us out there scrounging for wheelweight as it is! ;)
Don't need any more competition...

If I haven't dissuaded you yet, then welcome to the club!

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but www.castboolits.gunloads.com is a great place to learn about casting your own.

Regards,

Tristan
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:?: Just sorta curious as to why all the references to Cast Bullets.com :?: Cripes there's nothing we can't tell him here that we could tell him there is there :roll: :?:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote::?: Just sorta curious as to why all the references to Cast Bullets.com :?: Cripes there's nothing we can't tell him here that we could tell him there is there :roll: :?:
+1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

[quote="fordwannabe" Good luck and wear long sleeves. Tom[/quote]

One of the best pieces of advice I've seen on this thread so far. I always forget to mention that to new casters. Also, wear pants. I was casting on the balcony of my apartment one time, and being an idiot I was wearing shorts, sitting cross legged on the ground. Needless to say I dripped some molten lead on my bare leg. I don't think I've ever moved so fast before. I've always worn long sleeves and pants since then, and should have that time. I knew better.

Also, NEVER get moisture in your melting pot. Keep it dry and away from water, especially when you are casting. If you get moisture in there, it will explode and empty the contents of your melting pot all over you and the surrounding area. Never had it happen to me, but I know people it's happened to.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And along with those recommendations I started out to ensure that you wear good shoes. Why? See below:

This is the result, when I attempted to take a short-cut by pouring directly from my dross pot (melting wheelweights into clean ingots) to my mold pot, skipping ingots. The old RevereWare pot I was using broke the handle with the 20lbs of hot lead, dumping the contents on the shop floor.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I cast for the stuff I shoot the most. All BP. My .54 flintlock gets round balls, my .45 Shiloh Carbine, my 75 cal Brown Bess, and my Paradox rifle 12 bore. I buy my .357 bullets. That takes care of 90 plus percent of my shooting needs.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot