OT - Earthquake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - Earthquake

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Just had an earthquake here in OK, centered about 10 miles to the NE

Quake Info

That was FREAKIN AWESOME and FREAKIN SCARY at the same time. I've been in a couple of 3.0's and they were just a sudden jolt. This one seemed to be a few seconds long and I could feel the "waves" in my feet. I've never heard the earth rumble like that. Was definitely and experience.

Matthew 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Earthquake

Post by AJMD429 »

All these earthquakes are just further examples of global warming; you see when the earth heats up, it expands, and everything shifts around. Elementary science... :roll:

The New Madrid fault is supposed to slip sometime in the next couple of decades... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like there was one in Chile today too.

We've had a couple little ones here in Northern OH. Seems about every ten years or so we get a little jolt.
From what I've been told there's a sizable fault running under us. Enough so that most ins. agents in the
area offer an earthquake ryder on most home owner's policies.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That New Madrid quake should be a good one. Maybe Reel Foot lake will grow or maybe go away. We should get some of those sand spouts on video. Unfortunately, somebody is going to die.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:All these earthquakes are just further examples of global warming; you see when the earth heats up, it expands, and everything shifts around. Elementary science... :roll:

The New Madrid fault is supposed to slip sometime in the next couple of decades... :?
:o The most powerful earth in CONUS was on that faultline. When it slipped in 1812, it rang the Liberty Bell in Philly and the Mississippi River ran backwards for almost a week and it formed Reelfoot Lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I was snoozin in a recliner... woke me up out here in Guthrie.

I used to live about 30 miles south of Reelfoot... we had 3's about once a year in Dyersburg and Memphis.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I heard talk today that due to one of the Quakes a Tsunami will hit Hawaii sometime tomorrow! Hope it will not be serious if it is indeed true.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bigahh wrote:I heard talk today that due to one of the Quakes a Tsunami will hit Hawaii sometime tomorrow! Hope it will not be serious if it is indeed true.
Done happened. Another non-event presaged by the experts predicting terrible results. Kinda like the flu. As long as the experts are casting dire predictions, I'm pretty sure we are safe. If they ever shut up and think first, then I'll worry.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

We had a shake last night a 10:30 pm of about 3.? Centered in my home town area of Lachute Quebec. Lasted about 20 seconds. We sahould be good for a while now, we get one every couple years.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We dug out my old globe and looked at the areas affected by this quake. It is fascinating to see the relationship between Chili and Japan and the vast distance that tsunami traveled in such a short time.
If you'll use a globe rather than a flat map you can how it just barely missed Hawaii.

My wife was out delivering Pizza and said she felt what she thought was a small quake at around 10:00pm ish here in IL. Possibly part of the one Iceman felt.

I didn't feel it, but then I rarely do.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of good info here on quakes

http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/

Here on floods - inluding real-time stream & river data.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis

Real Time data - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/rt

Example of the data from a single point - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03354000
(that point is near a road I sometimes travel, and I know the exact height of river which gets over the road; nice to be able to check before driving).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "