Anyone want to talk about guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Anyone want to talk about guns?

Post by Otto »

I want to talk about guns. Here are some of the guns I have:

Presently, I only have three leverguns: a Cimarron 1873 trapper in .45; an older Rossi/Interarms 1892 in .45; and a Navy Arms/Rossi stainless 1892 in .357 magnum.

I also have a brace of Cimarron Lightning revolvers in .38 Special. They are not actual Lightnings; they are a scaled-down, single-action Model P. They are fun to shoot, nonetheless.

I have several Vaqueros, the heavier ones, all in .45 Colt. I shoot a couple regularly; the others just collect dust in the cabinet. Not really sure why I have so many.

I have a Savage .243 which I use for woodchucking. The longest shot I've ever taken is around 270 yards. I want to learn to stretch out to 350, maybe a little further.

I have a Bushmaster "XM15E2S" which I shoot a good bit. Mostly plinking, though I had been trying to learn to use iron sights at longer ranges with this gun.

There are others, but these are the ones I shoot the most, or the ones which are pertinent to this forum. I don't have access to any of them right now. The only gun I have right now is a Colt M4, which I have to carry everywhere I go, but I am never allowed to shoot. That is both good and bad, I suppose.

Do you guys have any guns?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Don McDowell

Re: Anyone want to talk about guns?

Post by Don McDowell »

I have a lot of guns. I don't get the itch to go hunting as much as I used to, but I sure got bit by the long range shooting bug.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I've got a Marlin "golden" 39a, a Henry .22 WMR, a Win 94 30WCF, and a Marlin 1895G in 45-70. Those are my leverguns, and I shoot all of them a fair bit more than most of my other rifles.

I also have a Ruger Blackhawk 6" .357, a Super Blackhawk .44 mag, and a Ruger Bisley Single Six in .22/22WMR. These are the only handguns I have as of now, but I'm always trying to remedy that. If you want to get rid of some of your Ruger safequeens, let me know :wink:

Probably my most shot rifle besides my levers is my pre-64 Winchester model 70 featherweight in .243. That gun is flat out accurate if I do my part. I've been thinking about re-barreling it to a .308, but that gun is so much darn fun the way it is I think I'm just going to leave it.

The rest of my guns pretty much sit in the safe. They are mostly a collection of cheap .22's, shotguns, an SKS (which I actually do shoot quite often, I just forgot about it earlier), and an 8mm Mauser. I like the Mauser, I just haven't started reloading for it yet. I'm gonna make it into a cast bullet only shooter.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ummm, OK, we can talk about uh 'er, um guns. Might be different too.

I ain't gonna list what I got cos then I'd get alll wheepy since I got no where to shoot 'em all. Don likes to do his long range shooting, but here in IL there's nowhere to do that what ain't populated by farmers on their stinkin John Deers.

Oh well, maybe someday I'll find a home with boonies close enough to shoot long ranges.

Case, primer, powder, bullet. Throw 'em in a bowl mix well. Take the finished product, insert in chamber and close action.
point the holy end towards the target and then pull the trigger.
Hope for the best. :o

Seriously I need some range time.

Snow snow go away, little Joey want's to play!!!!!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

What do you mean "guns?" Why would we talk about that :?: What a great opportunity to ramble.....

Yep, I have a few too. Always fighting the internal battle of "Am I a hunter, a shooter, or a collector." I'd sure like to be all three, but time and money prevent that from happening. I guess if I had to choose, I'd say hunter first, then shooter, then collector. What I really like doing is using a nice old (collectible) rifle in some matches (CAS or Silhouette), then hunting with it. Then I get all three needs into one.

I discovered proxy bidding at live auctions a few years ago, and have acquired a few very nice rifles this way, putting in low bids and waiting. It's better for the ego and pocket book to NOT be present for the final hammer at a live auction, I've discovered.

My newest levergun is a somewhat interesting story. I wanted one of David Clement's Custom 1895s in his proprietary 348 DC chambering. I was going to build it to the exact specs of the Leverguns.com poll I ran last year. Anyway, I changed my mind and cancelled the project, in favor of a different base gun (that's a whole different story). But not before I had found a very good condition 1895S (pistol grip, no safety), which was very hard to find and took a long time. I had already sent it to David, so I told him to just go ahead and sell it and give me credit toward another project or send me the dough.

Well, he decided to upgrade it with his basic upgrade package, and rebarrel it with a Ballard-cut barrel, and then sell it. It was listed on his site for a long time, and it kept eating away at me, so I finally called him up and worked out a deal to get it back.

So....I just picked it up from my transfer dealer last weekend and haven't shot it yet. It's a neat little rifle and I expect it to be very accurate. Here are the specs:
Marlin 1895S, 45-70
New Marlin ballard barrel, 20"
Extended mag tube with reinforced retainers
XS sights
Action job
Throated for long cast bullets
Bedded stocks
Limbsaver pad
Matte blue

Unforturnately, I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I will soon. And I REALLY can't wait to shoot it.

Well, there you go Otto. Some nice fresh gun talk :D :D
Thanks for the opportunity to ramble.
Chad
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

talk about guns? Thats a novel idea! :idea: I like it :lol:

I know it is not OT exactly, but what type of sighting system do you have on your M4 and why. Did you get some say in choosing it or was it an issue item? Only asking because you said you were learning to shoot irons on your civilian Bushy
When I ETS'ed in 1994, the M4 was a new version and not that common --- our carbines were based on Vietnam era A1 rifles :o and using anything other than issue irons or in very rare instances, a starlight scope , was just not done and not much thought was given to it

and if i havent said it before -- thanks for your service. I was in your shoes years ago, and now i am in a position to be grateful for others doing the job now
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have some guns too. One is attached to me. Another one is about as close as the compluter mouse. There's more in another room and more in different houses. I like em all. I can't decide my favorite right now, and I also can't decide my next one. Most likely one of two candidates will be next unless serendipity intervenes.

I have vague notions of eliminating some of my guns, but that just involves giving them to my children, and often that means I still clean 'em and handle them, 'cause they leave them here for 'later on'.

I've been around guns all my life and first touched off a .22 rifle long before I started to school. I also learned to read before I started school, and I still enjoy reading and touching off firearms, er, guns.

So which one is your favorite Otto?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

... "Talk about guns". AMEN

I have had some come and go over the years. I recently finished my 5th double rifle. The first three were in 450/400 and I intended to keep two of them but my clients made offers I couldn't refuse. I made a 45-70 hammergun that a fellow forum member purchased. The latest is a 450 Nitro Express 3 1/4". I intend to keep this one for personal use - we'll see.

I've never had a 1911 style pistol, so I am currently researching and feeling out the market to finally get one.

The three guns I've owned the longest are those that my Dad gave me, an 870 Wingmaster, A Wards Westernfield .22 pump and a single shot Savage 12g. After that is my Ruger 77 in 7mm Mag made in 1970 that I got for a gift when I was around 10 years old.

My prized possesions are my old English shotguns, and especially my J. Purdey that once belong to the Earl of Sefton.

Lately, I've gotten a soft spot for older guns. I bought a Remington 81 in 300 Sav made in 1947. My Charter Arms Bulldog was made in 1978. Glenfield 30 made in 1968. I guess poor craftsmanship and plastic don't appeal to me. I'm sure it has something to do with old fashioned upbringing (parents favored antiques and old school ways) and my formal English shotgun apprenticeship.

Keep talking about guns.......
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Streetstar wrote:talk about guns? Thats a novel idea! :idea: I like it :lol:

I know it is not OT exactly, but what type of sighting system do you have on your M4 and why. Did you get some say in choosing it or was it an issue item? Only asking because you said you were learning to shoot irons on your civilian Bushy
When I ETS'ed in 1994, the M4 was a new version and not that common --- our carbines were based on Vietnam era A1 rifles :o and using anything other than issue irons or in very rare instances, a starlight scope , was just not done and not much thought was given to it

and if i havent said it before -- thanks for your service. I was in your shoes years ago, and now i am in a position to be grateful for others doing the job now
When I say, "learn to shoot with irons," I mean like in the thread about .357 at 300, on an 8-inch plate. I can hit 300m pop-ups all day long, but that is a pretty big target (full-size human silhouette), and I am shooting from the prone, as opposed to offhand.

My Guard unit had M16A2's at home. When we mobilized, we stole M4's from a returning infantry unit, which had received them new before they deployed. Most of them have Aimpoint M2's with a BUIS made by Matech.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Grizz wrote:So which one is your favorite Otto?
Well, it used to be my Bushy, but I just may get rid of it. At the least, it will be stuck in the back of the closet for a good while. I have had my fill of anything even vaguely reminiscent of the military.

The only gun I actually USE is the .243, for woodchucks and nuisance deer. The others have always been plinkers. I did kill a couple of 'chucks with the Vaquero.

Otherwise, it would be hard to pin down. I imagine most people are like me, in that they go through phases. The Vaquero gets shot alot, as does the .243. I really like the Navy Arms, even though I rarely shoot it. That is definitely going to change. As soon as I get home, it and the .45 Rossi are going to visit NKJ. Once they get back, they're gonna be busy. I also am very likely to get an EMF 24-incher, similar to COSteve's. You guys have me chomping at the bit to try some longer-range shooting.

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

86er wrote:Lately, I've gotten a soft spot for older guns. I bought a Remington 81 in 300 Sav made in 1947.
I've been dying to get a Model 8/81, myself. I can't decide between one of the .30 cals or the .35 Rem (In case I wanna play Frank Hamer, a little). Just a very neat little rifle.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Talk GUNS? Whoa :lol: :lol:

I like shooting cast only through mine. I have a 24" Marlin Cowboy + 7 1/2" Ruger Flattop (.44's) duo that both get a 260gr cast and 23grs W296 load that shoots fantastically through both. Rifle @100 yards does 2" for five shots. Pistol does 2 1/2" @50 yards. This duo gets shot little outside of deer and elk season.

I like shooting my other 24" Marlin Cowboy + 6 1/2" Ruger Flattop (.44's) with a 255gr SWC and 9grs of Unique. Wonderfully accurate, low recoil but powerful.

I like shooting my 20" Marlin Cowboy + 4 3/4" Ruger Flattop (.44's) with a 255gr SWC and 6 grs of Unique in a .44 special case. Low recoil and fairly quiet. This is my head out the back door into the woods duo 'cause I'm gonna be gone all day hiking :wink:

I like shooting my old 1939 model 64 in 25-35 with a 110gr cast bullet and 22grs 3031. No recoil of course yet powerful. Stays inside 2" @ 100 yards.

I like shooting my Marlin Cowboy in 38-55 with a 280gr cast and 32grs of 3031. Kills elk dead! It also stays inside 2" @ 100 yards. Very very powerful.

I like shooting my '86 in 45-70 with a 420gr cast and 44grs of 3031. No kidding, this one will shoot groups occasionally with the factory open sights at 75 yards that can be covered with a nickel :shock: Elk have started gathering around trying to start a petition making it illegal for me to carry during elk season. Even grouse pull their heads down when I walk by with this one!

I like shooting my 71 in .348 with a 210gr cast bullet and 58grs of 3100. It is rare to not have most all bullets touching on paper @100 yards. I've shot not just a few 5 shot groups at slightly over 200 yards that have been inside 3"! A wonderful load that kills deer dead :mrgreen:

I could go on and on, but its someone elses turn now :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Otto wrote:
Well, it used to be my Bushy, but I just may get rid of it. At the least, it will be stuck in the back of the closet for a good while. I have had my fill of anything even vaguely reminiscent of the military.

stash it but dont get rid of it unless you have to. I felt the same way about military items for a few years too. If you stash it instead of sell it, it'll still be there in a few years if you ever get in the mood to shoot .223 again. Plus, if worse comes to worse, semi auto black guns may be the first to be targeted - but if you trade it for a Sharps or something --- i understand that sentiment too :D
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Any Garand shooters here?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Streetstar wrote:
Otto wrote:

stash it but dont get rid of it unless you have to. I felt the same way about military items for a few years too. If you stash it instead of sell it, it'll still be there in a few years if you ever get in the mood to shoot .223 again. Plus, if worse comes to worse, semi auto black guns may be the first to be targeted - but if you trade it for a Sharps or something --- i understand that sentiment too :D
I do have a significant amount of cheap ammo stashed away. There are places to get wood stocks and handguards for it. I wonder whether there is a way to simulate color case-hardening on aluminum?

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Hobie wrote:Any Garand shooters here?
I have considered, for a long time, getting one from DCM. Unfortunately, I can't afford to feed many of the guns I have now. I may be culling the herd later this year, especially if I get that 24" 1892.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Dad liked .223 a lot. He shot them in bolt guns! My first deer was with his Savage 99 in .243, way back in the freedom days on the Mogollon.

Like 86er I waited until almost too late (for me) to get a 1911. Now I'm smitten. I like hardball and I like 230g jhp too, and I want to get a thousand 230g cast truncated cone for my deer loads this summer. It's my current A-list choice. Wish I'd gotten the one I saw in the pawn shop for 30$ back in the day. :)

I like shooting 405g bullets from my redhawk. That's my last ditch bear stopper round so I can save my 45 loads for the thin skin stuff. It's the only load I make for the .44 now. It penetrates like a 45/70 and it's scary accurate past 100 yards.

One of my meat guns in Alaska was a superblackhawk that I load with a cast plain base 325g bullet. It made lots of venison but I was not confident it would handle bears too well. Now I think I underestimated it, but I'm glad I never got to discover the facts. That load wouldn't feed in my son's carbine so he just used plain jane 240g jsp and made tons of venison with it.

I like shooting 525g cast from my guide gun and in fact any 45/70, including a couple of handguns my friends have. I've expelled that load from barrels ranging from 10" to 34". It's scary accurate out of every one of them. It's the only load I make for the 45/70 now. It ranges from 1310 fps from the 10 barrel to something closer to 1600 from the longest barrel, can't recall the specific number.

I like shooting 185g cast from the .357s. I've shot that load from a snubbie, another smith, and thru a trapper length Winchester. That load is spot on the gong too. It's the only load I make for the 357s now.

I went to WY to do some of that long range shooting only to discover that I can no longer make out the 6" gong at 400 yards. I did have a lot of fun keeping its head down with a .22 carbine. And that one IS one of my very favorite best ever guns.

You may have guessed that one of my next guns will be another 1911. I love shooting 45 ACP. I hope to constrain myself to just keep one or two and put more resources into shooting them than I put into companions for them.

I shoot 9mm but don't load for it yet. It's not a favorite for anything but it's a decent tool to have around.

I see you have some 1892s and I don't even have a functioning one, and it's my absolute favorite pistol caliber carbine mechanism. If I ever get around to it I have a Browning 92 basket case in .44, but I don't think the barrel can stabilize my redhawk round. I hope it does 'cause I prefer one load per caliber when I'm reloading.

It's too bad the guns can't tell their own stories, I'm certain they'd be a lot more interesting to listen to. They might even have some attitudes of their own!

Regards,

Grizz
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would love to have one! My local shop usually has at least a couple in the racks, but I don't know enough about them to make a wise purchase. The ones I see there seem over priced, but they may be worth what they're asking.
NRA Life Member
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

On a Garand-related note:

Anyone have any experience with the new ones from Springfield? What about the .308 version?

Scott
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Spent a goodly amount of time with a M1D version of the new Springfields. Takes a second or two to catch onto that scope out on the side, and not really cheeking up the rifle. But it shot very well, and while not quite as smooth as my graduate of the class of 43 it was fine.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I need to buy another levergun. I only have one and don't get to shoot it much. It is a Marlin 336 30/30 made in '58 if I remember correctly. I currently use my Ruger 44m carbine for deer season. It the old model/style and has killed a bunch of deer. I want to retire it to save for one of the boys. It is special as it was left to me by a friend. I need a lever in 44m to take it's place. I want to be able to use cast bullets and stop losing so much brass. I don't shoot the Ruger nearly as much as I would like due to losing brass. I will probably go with a low power scope as I find it helps to pick through the heavy brush I hunt in in the Missouri Ozarks. I favor a Marlin, and love the 44m for my type of hunting. I do like carbines as they also work for where I hunt. Any thoughts? I recently found a job outside of the construction industry and hope to have the funds in a few months if all goes well. Kevin
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Garands?

I have two in the crate as issued from the navy, unfired, with supply chits, that I won in competition shooting for the East coast Navy Rifle and Pistol team. I also have two M1A's and Remington Bolts in the same condition. I miss those days

Leverguns I own now:

Wild West Guns Co-pilot in .457 mag, kevlar stocks, scout scope, takedown version with high vis ghost ring sights.

NKJ Rossi .357 duel tone SS with williams rear peep and large loop lever.

Marlin TDS .22

Winchester 9422 xtr Classic

They serve most of hunting needs which I consider myself above a shooter, or collector.

Other rifles I have are Griffen & Howe '03 in 30-06, Unfired with Zeis scope. Waiting Griffen and Howe documentation and valuation before I shoot it.

450/400 Saeur double rifle in 3"

12 bore paradox rifle/shotgun

Shotguns:

12 bore midland hammer gun from 1890s
early parker with 20 bore tubes

Pistols:

Colt .44 special
Smith 60-3 .357
Bond .357
Ruger speed six .357
Sig 226 Combat 9mm
.475 Linebaugh Freedom Arms

Blackpowder

.54 Brad Emig Virginia Rifle
Brown Bess smooth bore

Air rifle, .20 cal spring air
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Wow, talking about guns. What a concept! :shock: :D Here's my favorite gun story, I have posted it before but maybe some newbies havent seen it: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 359#p83359
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a few guns also. Lots of them are levers and 15 or so are .30-30`s. Anyone else here have a .30-30? :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I have a few guns also. Lots of them are levers and 15 or so are .30-30`s. Anyone else here have a .30-30? :D
one I like and one not so much; but don't shoot 'em much at all. not a big fan of small bores.....

:lol: Grizz
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

" I like guns...I like guns..........".Got a Garand when it was the DCM.They had their shoots on saturdays -you guessed it I almost always worked on saturdays but now it's time to dust that rifle off. My problem seems to be there is not too many guns I don't like finally bought a 1911 and am looking at AR15's........