OT- What is this crusty ol pistol?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

OT- What is this crusty ol pistol?

Post by oic0 »

Brought the rest of the guns I inherited many years ago from my dads gun safe to my new house. Top is a Remington speed master, middle is a Marlin Glenfield model 60, Bottom Sears and Roebuck Ted Williams Model 200.
Last one is an I have no idea. My granpa got it from a storage building someone failed to pay rent on back in the 60s or 70s. Missing a few pieces but the action does work. Its a double action. Hand made perhaps? I would just as soon chew lead slugs as try to shoot it (That and I dont know what caliber it is, .45 ACP slides through the barrel)

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- What is this crusty ol pistol?

Post by jnyork »

Nagant?
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Rast Gasser
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

wolfslightshadow wrote:Rast Gasser
From google image search I think you're right. A factory actually made something this crude?
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

oic0 wrote:
From google image search I think you're right. A factory actually made something this crude?

It looks more abused and neglected than crude. But even new it was uglier than anything has a right to be.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

AmBraCol wrote:
oic0 wrote:

It looks more abused and neglected than crude. But even new it was uglier than anything has a right to be.
I agree, it is very abused and neglected. It doesn't have a straight line on it though. The fluting on the cylinder is crooked and every one of them different. The ridges on the barrel aren't straight. The buckhorn isn't straight. Even the fire pen is irregularly shaped. The crown... looks like it was made with a hammer and file by a 5 year old. I guess if you were about 10 foot away from someone though it would probably kill them.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like some one's home made attempt at copying a Rast Gasser or a Nagant.
NRA Life Member
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It doesn't have a straight line on it...
It just looks "French". :mrgreen:
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Definitely looks the most like a Rast Gasser, but not exactly, which leads me to believe it is a home made attempt. I know it's missing a few parts, but even the Rast Gassers that came out of the factory weren't that asymmetrical and crooked I don't think. This may just be from years of pitting or the way the pic was taken, but the metal looks like cast iron, or something similar. I don't have it to examine, but the frame and barrel also look like one piece, and the barrel doesn't look like it has any rifling.

Maybe someone wanted to copy the gun but didn't have the experience needed to machine the parts. So he makes molds for all the parts instead, and casts them. Just a thought. That thing looks way too crude to have come out of any kind of factory.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

After looking over images at images.google.com of the Rast Gaser i think that this is indeed a Rast Gaser. But after many years of abuse. Quick and dirty grips and much rust later. :(
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

So I guess we can forget about a range report... :(
Have you hugged your rifle today?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like one of Mike D's privy finds. Mucho rust.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[But even new it was uglier than anything has a right to be.]

When they were sold new, they came with a porkchop tied to the grip - so the dog would play with them. ;) :mrgreen:

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I used to spend hours at a friend's blacksmith shop out in the middle of the Sertão Maranhense. He had a lot of old hulks there that resembled the condition that pistol is in. There was an old top break Smith and Wesson, probably 44-40 caliber, but it didn't look to be in much better condition than that one is in. Years of rust and abuse do terrible things to a gun. Some of the stuff in that shop was pretty near impossible to identify because someone had stored it behind the closet in their adobe walled house for years. Adobe doesn't do a great job of keeping the humidity at bay during wet season. Still, it was interesting to see what my friend could do with a piece of abused steel. He built me a singleshot muzzle loading pistol using a piece of Willys steering column for the barrel. The rest of the gun was made right there in his shop without a watt of electricity being used. But I digress. You don't show the other side, but what I see from the side you show just looks like rust and abuse and corrosion and neglect. Even one o' them ugly french pistols don't deserve to be treated thataway...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

shooter wrote:Definitely looks the most like a Rast Gasser, but not exactly, which leads me to believe it is a home made attempt. I know it's missing a few parts, but even the Rast Gassers that came out of the factory weren't that asymmetrical and crooked I don't think. This may just be from years of pitting or the way the pic was taken, but the metal looks like cast iron, or something similar. I don't have it to examine, but the frame and barrel also look like one piece, and the barrel doesn't look like it has any rifling.

Maybe someone wanted to copy the gun but didn't have the experience needed to machine the parts. So he makes molds for all the parts instead, and casts them. Just a thought. That thing looks way too crude to have come out of any kind of factory.
I always assumed that too. It looks and feels like cast iron to me and the rust has always looked like that, never better never worse, at least not since I've been alive. As a little kid admiring all of the nice expensive guns in my grandfathers gun cabinet I was given this one to actually play with since at that point it was pretty much just a hunk of metal to go along with the carved wooden knife I had been given to play with. It was in the exact same condition then only the action was frozen. I've always been a tinkerer though, even then, so instead of running around shooting at invisible Indians I worked the action and oiled it until the trigger started to work. At first it wasn't catching the action but eventually the action caught and the gun started working. I haven't really messed with it since except to spray it down in a healthy coat of oil every few years and to occasionally wonder what it is.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

It's hand made for sure. It's has a few differences from a Rast Glasser, but it shares a lot of it's looks. It reminds me of some of the Vietnamese homemade handguns I've seen.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

My first thought was Kyber Pass Special...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Ben_Rumson wrote:My first thought was Kyber Pass Special...
I think that's a good call.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I agree.

Basic design is a Gasser or a Montenegrin equivalent, so a "homebuild" from either Serbia/Montenegro, or a "Darra Special" from the Khyber Pass is certainly a possibility.

If a .45 slides down the barrel, odds are it's an 11mm Nagant chambering or something similar.