OT-Carnage and fun around the old homestead...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Carnage and fun around the old homestead...

Post by awp101 »

Well, it started snowing around 0200 in the DFW area. By the time I got up around 0530 we had a couple of inches on the ground. It's been snowing steadily all day but with no wind it's just piling up. They sent us home from work around 1400 since a couple of the guys (namely the two running the place :mrgreen: ) live in outlying areas and wanted to get home before rush hour hit.

I got home to find half of one of our trees down and at least that much of another but I'm not real sure with everything in the way:
(I had already planned on taking half of this one down anyway so this saved me some work)
It's partner in crime

OTOH, the garden ornament received an upgrade to her hat:

And you CAN make time stand still!

Of course Hank had a blast and The Boy had to aggravate him by throwing snowballs at him:

I know he threw it! It landed over here! Where is it?

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I'm SURE I left something down here!

I don't know why this feels good, but it does...

Here's an idea of how deep it was in places:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Carnage and fun around the old homestead...

Post by RSY »

We are just getting cold, nasty rain down here. My kids would love to get some of the white stuff!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

RSY, good to see you back man! Yeah, the kids always dig it. :mrgreen:

BTW it the last pic, I just measured and it's 8" from the bottom of his foot to the knee on his rear leg. I'm not sure I've EVER seen 8" of snow in this area or even a total of 8" over the past 38 years! :shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

That's definitely a good bit of snow for up there. Prepare for the wet, nasty muck to follow in a few days as it melts. :wink:
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

RSY wrote:We are just getting cold, nasty rain down here. My kids would love to get some of the white stuff!

My kids in last winters abundance.... But this winter is not that far behind.. King of the iceberg!!!

^

Dear old Dad was workin' to get them to school ... quite dont tell them!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well, the snow is over but the fun is just beginning... :lol:

I spent quite a bit of time outside with Hank last night. He's been cooped up most of the previous three days because of the temps and wind chill. At almost 18 months, he's still a pup and gets wound tighter than an 8 day clock if he can't get out and run. With no wind to speak of, it was rather comfortable and a REALLY neat experience for someone who's never seen snow like this before (but I understand why those of you who do get tired of it REAL quick! :lol: ).

The two trees in the first two pics lost more limbs, I think they may be done for. Another tree lost 2 medium sized limbs, another lost a medium sized limb and fortunately none of them hit anything but the ground. Of course the one tree I KNOW is dying only lost one little limb.... :roll: :lol:

Somewhere between 2000 and 2030 I heard a couple of crumps. Uh-oh, sounds like transformers. I went in about 2030 and told my wife and she propmtly said "I hope our power doesn't go out!". DOH! Sure enough about 2045 as I was looking around I just happened to be looking in the right direction when the transformer for our block blew. It was an impressive sight, no doubt about it, but that put a damper on the evening (so to speak).

As of 0830 today it's still out and I'm up here at work. Not really working mind you, just taking advantage of the heat and computer. :lol: I have to say I'm really impressed with the insulation of the house. Overnight the temp inside dropped from 68F when I looked at 2200 to 61F at 0730. Of course SWMBO thought she was going to freeze at that temp. :roll:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

In Colorado, we call 8" a heavy frost!! :D
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

She wouldn't like living with us, we keep the temp at 62*! Then again, our house will go right to 52* when the heat goes off.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

awp101.....we are about 150 miles due east of Big D and we got about 8" or so...our power was out all night but came back on this morning. Still snowing just a little bit....looks very pretty but these pine trees don't like the weight...be careful and stay warm....

jumbeaux
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

COSteve, the oldest boy lives in Colorado Springs so he can relate. :lol:

Hobie, from 68-70 is perfect for me. Anything under 75 and she's cold. Over 75 and she's hot. There seems to be no comfortable middle ground with her.

This house was built in the early 60s and she actually grew up here. Her Dad did some of the finish out IIRC and he added extra insulation at some point. A couple of years ago we had to have a new a/c put in. It was the first week of August to boot. The barely working unit was shut off at 0700 and when the guy was done at around 2100 the temp had only gone up to 91 or 92 degrees. Not bad when you consider the day was well over 100F and the doors had been open for a while getting things in and out.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jumbeaux, between our two pines I only lost 2 limbs and they were small.

If nothing else, I can think of this as Mother Nature working for ME! She did about half of the tree trimming I had planned for the spring! :lol:

Last I heard, there were around 170K without power in the Metroplex. I have no idea how many in our area are without but after the last big outage we had after a huge series of thunderstorms it took 3 days for them to get power back to us.

The bright side is that it's supposed to be in the mid-30s today and mid-50s tomorrow. I love Texas weather... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats a smart looking dog, is there some springer in it?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Nath wrote:Thats a smart looking dog, is there some springer in it?

Nath.
Thanks! :mrgreen:

Mama was a Wheaton Terrier (Wheaten?) and Daddy was an International Playboy. IOW we don't know but we strongly suspect Border Collie. He tries to herd our cats and us and he's always on patrol in the yard so he's got some herder/guard dog in him.

Not to mention he's hyper and too darn smart for his own good. Cute has been the only thing that saved him more than once... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

COSteve wrote:In Colorado, we call 8" a heavy frost!! :D
Here in MI, we have two seasons -- Winter and the months of July & August. Got to have a lot of brass here 'cause you can only find & retrieve it for reloading when there's no snow on the ground.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Well, we finally got power back around 0345. I heard the furnace kick on and it woke me up so I didn't mind the interruption of my beauty sleep. :lol:

Now to see how much food was ruined. With no power for 55 hours, probably all of it including what was left of the Blackbuck I took with 86er in '08 out in the deep freeze...:cry:

I think a couple of the acquisitions I was considering will be put off for a small generator. The occasions to need it around here are rare (and will probably never happen again if I get one :lol: ) but it's at least worth looking into.

I've got some more pics I'll have to get off the camera and posted sometime this week. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Again, we did not get any snow it all went south of us. Right now we have a 35MPH wind and a temp of 22 degrees.