Why I Like My BLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Why I Like My BLR

Post by geobru »

Recently there have been several threads on BLR's. I've heard about the lousy triggers for years and just found out that they aren't dependable all of the time with documented failures to fire. I pulled my 1977 vintage 308 out of the safe to see if it is as good as I thought it was the last time I fondled it. This gun was never a safe queen and has been carried for many years against my red and black plaid wool coat as evidenced by the left side of the receiver.

Judging by the right side of the receiver I must have spent a good bit of time carrying it in my right hand even though it has that unhandy magazine that sticks out of the bottom of the receiver.

Some people have asked how to get rid of the Browning shiney finish. I have evidence that if you carry one long enough, the finish and the checkering wears off all by itself!

This gun can really shoot. The best group that I ever shot was a 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 125 yards. I used the fourth shot in the gun to shoot the thumbtack that was holding the target on the backstop. I kept that target for years, but it was tossed in one of too many moves.

When the chips were really down, this rifle performed in an outstanding manner and earned a place as my all time favorite hunting gun. I've shot deer and elk with it, and even shot the head off a grouse at 35 yards. This picture shows the rifle with three of the nicest blacktail racks that I have taken. These deer all dressed out over 200 pounds. The lower one was between 230 and 250.

Last edited by geobru on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Why I Like My BLR

Post by J Miller »

geobru,

Yeah! This is what I love to read. A report with pictures of a real honest to goodness working rifle. Stories like this are more satisfying than the "guns are junk" we see so many of now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Great post!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good honest wear on a gun that puts meat on the table you cant better that, nice racks. danny
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BigSky56 wrote:Good honest wear on a gun that puts meat on the table you cant better that, nice racks. danny

+1 :mrgreen:
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Very honest wear. Hope all my BLR's last as long and have as good a history. Thanks for the post.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Outstanding! A fine rifle that will no doubt be handed down through generations to come.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Nice outfit!
I even like the Weaver rings, having used them without complaint for many years.

Jack
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

bigSky is right!

A ood rifle with the character marks of honest use and wear is prettier than a new in box safe queen.

Great post, great stories. But totally unsurprising. I've come to expect such performance from my BLR.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Just like like Doc said, no surprise here. I know exactly how you feel about that rifle. I purchased my first BLR around 20 yrs ago, and it's still my #1 go to gun, for anything that I need a centerfire rifle for. I have owned a lot of centerfire rifles, but my BLR is still the one that I have the most confidence in no matter what.

I have enjoyed owning and shooting samples of most of the leveractions generally available, not to mention boltactions and singleshots, but my old BLR is still my favorite, when it comes to no BS hunting, where a centerfire rifle is needed.
NRA Life Member, Patron
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Many years ago I stopped hunting my blr ( almost a twin to yours except a leupold 2x7 scope ) now I know I cheated myself by doing so.You've had a lot better luck and I'am sure put a lot more work into hunting with that rifle then I did with mine.Sure makes it one fine rifle and a lot of good memories.That one is a keeper!
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

I well understand. I bought my .308 BLR used in 1974. Mine has a little more blue than geobru's, but not much. Mounted a 4X Leupold the week I bought it and haven't touched it since. Once in a while, I'll play with my BLRs in .223 and .257 or my '06 1895, but when there is no time to play and you need meat in the locker, out comes the .308.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I had a BLR in the 80's and got rid of it because of the projecting magazine. I recently purchased a MLR (same gun just branded Miroku). I cannot say enough good things about it.

In fact I think I will be doing the bulk of my deer hunting in future with it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They look funny with their guts dropping out when you work them, but obviously the deer who stood around too long to snicker didn't hear the bullet coming!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "