variables in reloading 357 magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FredGarvin
Levergunner

variables in reloading 357 magnum

Post by FredGarvin »

Hello all - just shot my first ever 25 reloads (357 mag). Very much fun, soft shooting, and pretty accurate (for me), better than factory (all 25 rounds, 2" group, off-hand, high/left, . However, dirtiest rounds I ever fired through my S&W 686 4". Some visible specs of unburnt power in the cylinder. The loads were the minimum, straight out of the Lee Manual, as follows:

Brass: once fired factory Winchester
Primer: CCI 550
Powder: IMR 4227, 15.0 grains
Bullet: Hornady 140 grain JHP
light to moderate crimp, 1.57 to 1.58 OAL

On the brass, a ring of soot is visible where the top of the breach face meets the shell casing. I won't be reloading this brass again.

With all of the possible variables that I could change, which should I mess with first to try to get the rounds a little cleaner. Thanks for helping a newbie, and thanks to everyone for all the help getting me this far.
Remind politicians that they represent, not rule, you.
Personal liberty = personal responsibility
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: variables in reloading 357 magnum

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU CAN LOAD THAT BRASS UNTIL THE COWS COME HOME. CLEAN THE POWDER STAINS OFF AND HAVE AT IT. I HAVE 357MAG BRASS IN CONTINUOUS USE SINCE 1967 AND FOUR[4] OF THEM FROM HUNDREDS HAVE CRACKED OVER THE YEARS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

From my limited experience with it, 4227 is one of those powders that don't like to be loaded light. Once you get it up to it's sweet point it will burn cleaner. Soot on the outside of the cases is a sign of too low pressure. There isn't enough pressure to expand the cases to seal the chamber.

I'm not sure where your data came from but if you can bump it up a bit and see if that cleans it up a bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep! Crimp her a bit more, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You guy's know more than me but would it be better to have a faster powder than this fast rifle powder? In this length of barrel I mean!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Tight roll crimp and your good to go. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,

Somebody many moons ago did some tests that showed the slower powders like 2400, IMR/Hog 4227, and so forth still gave better velocities in the shorter barrels than the faster burning powders. I don't know who or when or where any more, so I won't swear to it.
I do know that the faster powders reach their pressure peak sooner than the slower powders so their ability to reach high velocities is limited.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks Joe :D It was just how I was understanding this application which is also based on no experience so I guess the lesson is; don't dismiss anything Nath!

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

J Miller wrote:From my limited experience with it, 4227 is one of those powders that don't like to be loaded light. Once you get it up to it's sweet point it will burn cleaner. Soot on the outside of the cases is a sign of too low pressure. There isn't enough pressure to expand the cases to seal the chamber.

I'm not sure where your data came from but if you can bump it up a bit and see if that cleans it up a bit.

Joe
Yes, both 4227 and H110 both burn cleaner with heavier charges and a good, strong crimp.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Up your load to the max given. Give 'er a good stout crimp. Enjoy! :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What those guys said +1 :D
FredGarvin
Levergunner

Post by FredGarvin »

Thanks for the good advice. :!:
Remind politicians that they represent, not rule, you.
Personal liberty = personal responsibility