OT - Ukiah, CA-the Scoop

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Ukiah, CA-the Scoop

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys, I'm going to apply for a job in education in Ukiah, CA in the next coming weeks for the next school year. Even after applying, I wouldn't know for a few months if I got the job, but it sure sounds right up my alley. Small town, forests near by, more pay, less expensive homes then here.

Anyone familiar with the area? Any places of land to shoot (no ranges, just Forest Service or BLM land)?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks!

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Usually the best way to get that info is to contact the Chamber of Commerce in that city. They will surely have the answers you are looning for. They will mail you a ton of information!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Lots of Mary Jane is grown there. I think it's their number one cash crop.
I imagine there is a lot of coastal deer, lots of wild boar, abalone near Fort Bragg, and Russian River Salmon and Steelhead trout.
Aways, in the central part of the state, good upland game hunting and deer maybe Tule elk and black bear. No condor/ lead restrictions I think.
Mike D lives way up in Northern California- he might know more.
I'm in the Monterey Bay area, a few hours south.
Go to Calif Fish and Game site.
otteray
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Art, I already have been on the Chamber of Commerce website, and I've driven through the area (I'm not that far away), and checked the year long weather. I was just hoping to hear from someone who knows "insider" info, which the Chamber of Commerce won't be able to give me. I do appreciate the help, and will call them in the morning for a packet, and see if they can customize it to my interests.

Otterray, I hear the fishing is great, and the hunting north of Willits is PARTICULARY good! Plus, no stupid lead ban. I guess we didn't fight that hard enough, but who would have thought that our own Dept. of Fish and Game would have betrayed us so badly???? :evil:

If anyone else has some input, it would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fat Weasel Pale Ale is made there. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cut the budget of Fish and Game.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I havent been up there since I waas 10 or so. I do remember that it is sure beautiful in that area. Carefull with BLM up there the growers like to hide their plots on BLM and booby trap the paths sometimes to keep the LEO's out.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Barefoot hippies, lumberjacks, and "organic" farmers. Or so I've heard.

My step mom and step brother used to live there. They didn't have anything good to say about it. The above description is from them.

We used to go THROUGH there a few times a year on our way to Mendocino/Ft. Bragg for abalone diving. The area is beatiful and there's definitely a lot of game around there, as others have stated. We always saw elk between there and Williams, and tons of deer in the coastal range. I gotta think there's turkey and pigs around.

I've heard a lot about the pot-grower problem, but I don't really know how much of that is hype or paranoia. They are there, though. I bet if you make friends with the locals at the gun shops and shooting ranges, you'd get all the information you need to stay out of trouble.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

71, those are some good suggestions. I may even call some gun shops/clubs today. I'll try to make a trip up there in February if I'm able just to check it out.

Thanks!

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

They apparently have a local gunsmith and gun club. A good sign! Will call them later.

-Tutt
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Wher do you live now -Tutt?

Ukiah is a pretty nice area. Very close to the Mendocino National Forest and very close to Clear Lake -- one of the better fishing lakes in CA. Of course you are relatively close to the Liberal San Francisco area but that shouldn't pose a problem for you.

As for the pot growers, etc. -- that is common throughtout the U.S. now in most of the National Forests and on a lot of other Federal (BLM) and State properties.

Lots of Hog hunting nearby with most of it on private land but easy to book a hunt and most with a reasonable cost.

Ukiah is in the A Zone (North Unit 160) deer hunting area and I think your Deer Tag will be a walk-in, over the counter, request , tag and not a drawing tag. In other words - easy to get a deer tag.

CA DFG describes the Ukiah area as largely private with some/moderate public property in the area. BUT just go a short ways North and Northeast and there is abundant public land to hunt on.

Take that trip you talked about in February. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
ED
Yer never too old
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I spoke to the local gunmith in Ukiah this morning. He was an ol' timer at age 74, and new the shooting opportunities well. He said Ukiah is one of the most gun friendly towns in Northern Ca, that Mendicino County has a "right to carry", and that concealed carry permits are pretty easy to get. He said there is a hilltop pretty close by that is accessable by dirt road with a primitive shooting range on the top. Also, he said they have a BEAUTIFUL gun club just 5 minutes from the courthouse that people come from miles and miles to use. He's says its as nice as any shooting place he has seen, almost like a state park, and he's been around a few years to know :) They have many competitions and clubs ranging from CAS to sillouettes and more. The only drawback is there is no gun shop in town anymore, but there is a few FFL guys to transfer guns he can refer me to. This is sounding a lot better than what I have where I currently live. I guess things are different in Northern CA! And did I mention the part about no lead ban? Much better.

-Tutt
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Hey Tutt

Best on that position and I think we might have one or two near that area. They probably haven't seen this thread yet.

And yeah, I haven't dealt with them, but understand the pot growers can get dangerous if they see you.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Poohgyr, we had a sheriff special agent come to my basic hunting safety course, and yes, these guys can get very, very dangerous. :evil: I will do some checking before hiking and exploring in that part of CA, thats for sure.

One idea I was mulling around was alternating the CA Levergunner's Family Reunion and Shoot between the North, and South every year, as to not favor any one group. Or, if there was enough interest, have both.

-Tutt
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

ukiah

Post by brucew44guns »

My inlaws lived for years at lakeport, 35 miles away. Miles and miles of forest lands and public lands there. Short drive to the redwoods and the Ocean. If you can't keep venison on the table there, you have a problem. you'll do good there i'm sure.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

The marijuana "problem" is actually much more predominate in the upper reaches of Mendo. Co, above Willits and west of Garberville. The drug issue of note around Ukiah is meth. The pervasive production of this destructive chemical stimulent has taken over in the northern reaches of our State, replacing pot as the "product of choice" among younger users. It's effects on the environment from discarded paraphernalia used in it's manufacture are devastating.

iMy work has caused me to spend quite a bit of time in the area, but I have zero knowledge of the shooting, hunting and other gun related possibilities around the county. I never had the opportunity to do any of those thigs while there.

I have travelled through the area on many occasions on my way to the coast to dive for abs, though. I also am familiar with Clear Lake and Lake Sonoma and the recreation that they offer. Pigs are common around Ukiah, too, and there are a number of places where they can be hunted. Like you were advised, contact the local COC. They should be able to direct you to any likely places where the public can hunt and shoot.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln