500 S&W as a base for Wildcats

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

500 S&W as a base for Wildcats

Post by kaschi »

Now that Big Horn Armory is making what appears to be an outstanding levergun chambered for the 500S&W, it got me thinking as to the possibilities that particular casing would be for some offsprings. Personally, I have no problem with the 500 in their Model 89. However, I could see where it chambered for necked-down versions of the big 500 round would be popular. I suppose 30, 35, 40 and 45 caliber wildcat rounds based on the 500 must have crossed someone's fertile mind since its introduction. Does anyone if "children of the 500" have been hatched yet?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 500 S&W as a base for Wildcats

Post by Terry Murbach »

YEP. all the way down to 22 caliber already, and every step in between. AMAZING isn't it ??!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Is there a link to a web site? I'd like to see those - interesting!

And I would further wonder if anyone has chambered a Marlin 336/95 action for the 500 yet? Or is it too much case diameter?
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep and I bet they would look just like them fat little super short magnums.I want one in .32 :) .
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Is there a link to a web site? I'd like to see those - interesting!

And I would further wonder if anyone has chambered a Marlin 336/95 action for the 500 yet? Or is it too much case diameter?
The 336/95 action WILL NOT HANDLE the pressure and the pounding of that round. The guys at Big Horn Armory found that out exactly the way I proved the case against the .454 Casull in the same action.

The locking lug was battered & bent, the bottom of the bolt was battered & deformed, the mortises in the receiver were peened .......
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I guess that answers that!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hey Buck,
Do you know what those guy's did to make their rifle tough enough ??

Cool Stuff
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Dunno about 'wildcatting' the brass itself, but I'm very curious to see what can be done with a SABOT, since you can get .50 cal sabots in .45, .40, and .35 calibers. Could be very interesting to see what some of the .357 bullets would do with that kind of charge from a levergun or Handi-rifle or Encore.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Wildcats are COOL !! The latest Precision Shooter has one in .224 X 300 Short Mag. IT GETS OVER 5,025 FPS !!! :shock:

I bet that is a barrel burner! :lol: :lol: :lol:
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I don't know much about wildcatting, but think the Model 89 is a first class hybrid since it's an action where the 86 and 92 meet halfway(even the number "89" is halfway between "86" and "92" which is possibly why the rifle even uses the designation to begin with :?: ) It would be a good platform for a series of wildcats based on the 500.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

kaschi wrote:I don't know much about wildcatting, but think the Model 89 is a first class hybrid since it's an action where the 86 and 92 meet halfway(even the number "89" is halfway between "86" and "92" which is possibly why the rifle even uses the designation to begin with :?: ) It would be a good platform for a series of wildcats based on the 500.
You're exactly right about the "89" designation. In the beginning, I doubt you'll see many wildcat offerings. They'll be plenty busy making .500s for a while, at least.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...