Hunting the old fashioned way

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Hunting the old fashioned way

Post by Mike D. »

Who says that 60+ yr old shells can't get the job done? May 1945 manufacture date on the inside flap of this previously unopened box of 16 Ga Remington #5s. A.H. Fox double that can't be used for steel shot, so some old ones were broken out of the case for a flashback to simpler times. One Pintail and two Widgeon fell to ammo that is a year older than me. 8)

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very nice!!!! :mrgreen:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great pic Mike, what a bueaty. If ever you need a good home for that shotie get in touch :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Love those SxS shotguns.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's ok to use non-steel on old shottys?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:D :D :D
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

BlaineG wrote:It's ok to use non-steel on old shottys?
No, it is not allowwed to use lead on waterfowl, but I refuse to shoot anything but lead in 90 yr old shotguns. This gun would probably shoot steel OK because the barrels are Improved and Modified, but I can't take that chance.

I only do this once or twice a year and only in the afternoon on clear, dry days. The pond is mine and is on a private rice farm, so there is nobody to notice the non-steel shot.

Here are a couple of pics of my tank and spread. The decoys are set out at a max of 40 yds, so I know where my "safe" shots are. Wounding ducks and geese is something I detest. The far ones are geese, mostly as teasers. Those are at 60yds. The poles are for wind ducks. The breeze spins the wing blades, which really works to bring the birds down. Yesterday, they were just falling out of the sky to land in the deeks. Watching ducks work is a real joy, bagging a few is just a bonus.

The blind is a work in progress, always undergoing some sort of mods. Yesterday afternoon I mucked out the floor 'cause it smelled like a hog pen. There were two deceased field mice in the mud, straw, and water mess in the tank.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

VERY NICE....
WHENS DINNER?
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Just too cool... Thanks for the pics! :D
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Those shells sure have waited a long time to get it done! Nice to see them used for what they were made for and not just gathering dust in a collection. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

game keeper wrote:Those shells sure have waited a long time to get it done! Nice to see them used for what they were made for and not just gathering dust in a collection. :D
Now I'm just the opposite, I'd add that box to my collection.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

game keeper wrote:Those shells sure have waited a long time to get it done! Nice to see them used for what they were made for and not just gathering dust in a collection. :D
I am not a cartridge collector, so saving old shells is not my interest. I will buy them as long as the price is good enough. The Remington 16s cost me the equivalent of 6 dollars per box. I sold the wood box for half of what the 20 box case cost me. I also use a vintage Federal shotgun shell box for kindling. Wood boxes are very useful for camping, storing stuff, etc.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I love that A.H. Fox double. I hope to acquire one someday to use on the local geese.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Is lead still a go in Canada, Kirk? I sure hope so, it's so much more effective than steel on ducks and geese. The other alternatives are way too steeply priced for this poor farmer. Bizmuth shells are 3 dollars each around here.

I have shown the three Fox guns that I own, ad nauseum, so I won't do it again.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

No, lead is permitted only for upland game birds like Pheasant and Grouse, but not for waterfowl. That's the problem with old doubles and modern laws.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Same down here, Kirk. Upland birds are OK with lead shot, waterfowl require something else. Condors need copper bullets. :wink:
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I love your Fox, I have been looking for one with out the older 3 inch drop at the heel. Hope to find a nice one like yours, in the mean time I am looking for a sweet sixteen, so I can "borrow" an old box of 16 shells from you.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice! :D :D :D
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

SWEET! It's good to see those old Fox's still got what it takes!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nice looking SxS. How are you feeling Mike? Well I hope. I saw an old 86 today. It made me wonder what you are up too. Shot that 64 lately? I had a handle on a pretty 64 .32 Special this weekend but the geezer thought he had a bag of gold and we just could not come to terms. Regards, 1886.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

dkmlever wrote:I love your Fox, I have been looking for one with out the older 3 inch drop at the heel. Hope to find a nice one like yours, in the mean time I am looking for a sweet sixteen, so I can "borrow" an old box of 16 shells from you.
My gun is a Philadelphia Sterlingworth made in 1916. It actually has 2 3/4" chambers, not the 2 9/16" that was common at the time. I love Philly Foxs. :)
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Love that double!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!