How many Savage Model 99s made?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

How many Savage Model 99s made?

Post by Naphtali »

How many Savage Model 99s have been made? I include the pseudo 1895 commemoratives that were made briefly near the end of 1899 production.

Of this total, how many were side lever safety versions, and how many were tang safety versions?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How many Savage Model 99s made?

Post by airedaleman »

I have no idea (although I have owned three different 99's) but the folks at the Savage Collectors forum at http.//www24hourcampfire.com will probbly have a handle on your enquiry.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

airedaleman wrote:I have no idea (although I have owned three different 99's) but the folks at the Savage Collectors forum at http.//www24hourcampfire.com will probbly have a handle on your enquiry.
I have completed registration, but, 24 hour campfire will not activate my membership to allow me to query the members - despite several E-mails from me requesting activating E-mail from them.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

That's odd. I just registered the day before yesterday and all went along without a hitch. Try again?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

The latest issue (2nd) of Legacy of Lever Guns (Winter 2009) has a very good article on the 99's. It states that they were serial numbered in line with all other Savage firearms, so there is no real good record of them. If you do not have the original issue and this 2nd one, I recommend getting them. The first issue was published almost 10 years ago. Wolfe Publishing Co. I believe Midway has them.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not at home to look at my book on the subject.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson