OT - .223 recipes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - .223 recipes

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very OT - looking to collect some favorite .223 recipes for the infamous EBR. I know - lots of variables. Got any to share? :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - .223 recipes

Post by TedH »

My DPMS likes 27.0 gr. of BLC2 with a 55 gr. Hornady. It's a MOA shooter on a calm day.
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Never owned a 223 but a few 222, a friend had a 223 and it loved BL-C2 and I used nothing else in my 222's after using H322 and rl7.

Sorry I no real help.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Here's my data:

foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

55gr fmj /cann 26.6 gr Win748 CCI #500 primer. Feeds and function great. Accurate as all getout :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

cnjarvis, is that a regular spreadsheet or something purpose built?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

It's just an excel spreadsheet that I put together for my own use. I can do sorts by any component and by accuracy to see what's working or not. It also makes sharing my results easier.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

my mini-14 likes AA2520.
pete
DAV life member.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

One bullet which is often overlooked is the Sierra 55 gr. Varminter HP, #1390. It has a larger HP opening than most, and the ogive is blunt enough that it reduces bullet jump to rifling significantly when seated to magazine length. This bullet has worked very well for me in many military-type barrels with the long/oversized NATO throat, which didn't like sharper-pointed bullets such as the 55 VMAX/Blitzking, etc. Often, it will cut groups in half in rifles with the NATO chamber or rifles with worn/eroded throats.

Don't worry about "over-stabilizing" by shooting in fast twist barrels, such as 1:7", either.
That is largely theoretical. If you shoot a GOOD, light bullet in a fast twist barrel, you can get
excellent accuracy. As a test of this, some years ago I shot 40 gr. VMAX's at just under light-speed (about 3800 fps) using Hodgdon's published data for H335 in 2 match grade AR15's. One upper had a Krieger barrel, 1:7.7" twist, and the other had a Shilen barrel, 1:14" twist that Shilen had told me was needed to get the very best accuracy from light bullets.

Maybe in a benchrest rifle that's true, but in the AR15 I was not able to detect any negative consequence of shooting the light bullets through fast twist barrels. Both barrels shot ~0.5 MOA (average for several 5-shot groups) with the very fast 40 gr. VMAX, and in fact, the fast-twist Krieger was the more accurate by a little bit. I had to slow the load down about 100 fps (from memory) to get useful accuracy from the Shilen 1:14" twist barrel (which was brand new, and had a relatively short-throated match chamber.) The Krieger had a Wylde (somewhat longer-throated match chamber) and about 2000 rounds on it, so it tolerated the high velocity a little better. Many times I have gotten superior accuracy from light bullets in a variety of fast-twist AR15 barrels, with my best load averaging 0.34 MOA at 200 yards using Berger 55 gr. match bullets.

Hope this helps!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968