OT- New IMR 8208XBR Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- New IMR 8208XBR Powder

Post by 336A »

IMR has a new powder coming out called 8208XBR, it is part of the extreme line therefore it is very temp insensitive. I'm thinking about giving this powder a try if can find it, seeing how I have had rotten results with W748 and Rl15.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT- New IMR 8208XBR Powder

Post by J Miller »

336A wrote:IMR has a new powder coming out called 8208XBR, it is part of the extreme line therefore it is very temp insensitive. I'm thinking about giving this powder a try if can find it, seeing how I have had rotten results with W748 and Rl15.
336a,

I haven't seen any of that new powder in central IL. But then I wasn't looking.
What kind of bad results did you have with 748? Just curious because I've used it with complete satisfaction for oh going on 40 years now.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Here is a target that I shot using W748. I was shooting at the lowe right bullseye, you will see one round on the bull and the 2 other shots almost on the one in the upper right . My results with RL15 are identical to what I was getting with 748 :? The rest of the groups were shot with 150gr Fed Fusion and Hornady 160gr LE ammo.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hmmmmm, something didn't work right with that load. That's for sure.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

They don't all work the same in every gun that's for sure. RL15 has given me some little tiny groups with quite a few rifles. 22-250 to 35 Whelen. You never know.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Are we talking a 30/30 94 ae by any chance because thats what my last one shot like!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Are we talking a 30/30 94 ae by any chance because thats what my last one shot like!
Hi Nath, no it is a 2002 vintage Marlin 336A. It is kind of funny weird because I thought I did something wrong when loading those rounds. A buddy of mine was with me and he had a 336a as well. I let him try some of the loads and his rifle shot them like they were made for one another. :roll: I'm guessing I just need to find the right powder. After reading some articles by Biran Pearce I'm also leaning toward H322.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Or the right primer, when your not playing on the edge, sometimes it's that simple to go from bleah to wow. Try at least 2 other brands of primer in it before you give up on the powder. I've seen it work too many times.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith