OT Getting Tracers to Light in 5.56-223

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

OT Getting Tracers to Light in 5.56-223

Post by SteveR »

I bought some tracers to load up and shoot out of my EBR, the problem is, is that I can't get them to light.

I am shooting from a 16 inch barrel. I am wondering if barrel length is a problem, to short to light the tracers?

I have tried BLC_(2), H335, IMR3031, AA2520. I have been using Speer #13, Lyman's reloading and Hornady's reloading manual.

I haven't gone to max loads yet, but with in 1/2 grain with BLC-(2) and one grain of max with IMR3031, (I don't think I could get max in the case as it was starting to compress). I have also tried a very hard crimp.

I loaded up 50 yesterday with BLC-(2) and IMR3031 and tried them, not one lit. No signs of overpressure, the primers were just slightly flattened.

After I was shooting some LC surplus and noticed they must be loaded why up from where I have been loading, the LC gave a nice fireball out the front of the rifle, and the primers were definitely flattened.

I am thinking that I may pull a few of the LC and replace with the tracers to see if they will light.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT Getting Tracers to Light in 5.56-223

Post by Paladin »

Tracer are not that visible close to the barrel even the issue to us sometimes didn’t light. Those that did were past 25 meters and sometime a lot farther. 7.62 were a lot more reliable and the larger calibers. Even the 9mm from the subguns worked a lot better.
Good Luck.
It is not the critic who counts
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Paladin,
Thank you Sir,

I was shooting at the 300 yard position. I did hear that they are not supposed to light under 100 yards as to not give away the position.

These have a copper piece much like a gas check stamped in to hold the tracing compound, I am thinking it must take a lot to light them.

Steve
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

If your pulled tracers were stored in a moist place, that may be the issue. They should ignite at 25-50m then burn out around 600m.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Depending on how old they are and how stored, they may or may not light. Some of the places you can buy the bullets from, state that they won't light, on some lots.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

What they've said.

Out of a rifle, tracers are hard to see even at 100m in daylight. From a machine gun (M249) coming in larger numbers, they're still barely visible flickers in daylight, though they can be very visible at night. I've done day and night shoots with tracers from M16, M4 and M249s and on a 25m range at night without night vision equipment you barely see a "zip" and they're already in the berm.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Thanks, maybe they are lighting but to dim to see. I will load up some in the LC surplus and see what happens.

Steve
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You really need to be shooting them at longer ranges and at night to really get the most out of them.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well I saw them light a range up - set it on fire. 40 trucks and 3 helicopters. I think the range was billed $11,000. We shot them in the army - you should see 75 M16s on full auto in night fire. Woods behind the range made them ricochet everywhere.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Back in GA, when coon hunting at night, we used trained lightning-bugs as tracers. We'd train em to sit on the end of the barrel and as the bullet would leave the barrel, the lightning-bugs would jump on the bullet and you could see it wherever it went. The hardest part of the lightning-bug training was to get them to jump off the bullet a split second before impact and then fly back to the barrel to get ready for the next shot.
ED
Yer never too old
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I swear I posted to this. Must have gotten lost in cyberspace.

As others said. Tracers dont lite till after 100M and arent very visible till night time. I recall some surplus powder retailers advertising the powder as liting tracers, so it may be powder sensitive.

We had a live night fire couple months ago and set the range on fire at Ft Carson with 249's and 240's. I have a vid somewhere, btter than 4th of July.

Go Infantry!!!!!! :mrgreen:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Thanks guys, I thought that was true about not lighting till after 100 yards-meters. I might have to go out to some fields where I can shoot up to 1000 yards and see if that helps. I might shoot some at night, if the owner will let me.

Not trying to be a smartass, but what good are the tracers if they dont light to see during the day? I am not 100% sure of the use. Are they meant just for full auto type rifles like the M60? For aiming?

I have been looking for 5.56x45mm loads and all I have are the .233 from my manuals, are the 5.56 loads hotter than what the manuals list for .223?

Thanks,
Steve
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They're for directing fire. Mostly machine guns, to adjust fall of shot at longer ranges, or so a commander can see where his heavy weapons are firing. Also so the spotter/AG can direct fire and the gunner can adjust easier.

Aircraft flying overhead can see tracers firing on the ground, so a half-magazine of tracers (all tracers) fired at a target can spot a target for aircraft if they can't spot it "Hey! See THIS BRRRRRRRRRRRRRP" "yes, i got it now".
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

They are designed for automatic weapons firing at night so you can adjust fire. During the day you can see your impacts and adjust also you can see the sights not so at night hence the need for tracers.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

JReed & MrMurphy, Thank you again for the replies. I learn something new everyday.

I wish the weather would cooperate and clear up a little, I want to try the LC with the tracers.

Thanks again,
Steve