What to do (if anything) with the Fat Marlin Forearm?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

What to do (if anything) with the Fat Marlin Forearm?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

X-mas bonus money (looking over shoulder to make sure wife isn't there) is allowing me to get the stainless 1894 .357 I've been wanting for awhile. I decided on the 1894 over a Rossi 92 JUST for the scope factor. But dang, the forearm seems huge compared to the Winchesters. It's noticable even in pics. Is this something that you all just get used too?

What to do? Aftermarket, Are they as fat? While I'm profieint with woodworking I'm not with matching finishes and would just as soon spend the time shooting. Unless I can get something that is bolt on I'll more than likely deal with it.

Thanks again, LK
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What to do (if anything) with the Fat Marlin Forearm?

Post by kimwcook »

I don't know about replacements, but I know a lot of people just whittle down the forearm until it looks like what they want.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

LK,
These new Marlin forends are nothing like the ones from the fifties. Those buggers are downright u-g-l-y.

Ain't nothin to slim her down. Belt sand it and finish it off with some handwork. Rip the finish off the buttstock and finish it all with the finish of your choice.

Personally, I would leave it alone for awhile. Shoot it, play with it---you might change your mind, as you might not be happy with it. A new prospective buyer (most buyers) just don't like alternations. :wink:

You made a wise choice with the Marlin over the Rossi. Keep the money right here. :D Just be careful about the wife--it seems like they can sniff out that green stuff. My wife always knows when there's extra. :wink: -----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with Sixgun. They are not as fat as they used to be but not the splinter that Win. used on the 92.

I like a stock with some meat on it otherwise I would just buy an 1860 Henry. :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

ain't nothin' to it. :D
DSC_0081.JPG
i agree, make sure you're not gonna sell it, before you customize.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

pokey wrote:ain't nothin' to it. :D
DSC_0081.JPG
i agree, make sure you're not gonna sell it, before you customize.

Or get a replacement forestock and modify it to taste. Then just put the original back on when you go to sell.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Leave it as is for a while. It may just grow on you. I used to think the same about them being too fat, anymore I kind of like them that way. Gives a lot of meat to hold on to.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Alan Wood wrote:. . . get a replacement forestock and modify it to taste. Then just put the original back on when you go to sell.
Yep - that way you have a 'matching' one to sell on the gun, instead of trying to find another match after you've carved up and refinished the original one that did match...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Have you actually handled one of the .357-chambered 1894Cs? I ask because the forestock on them (or at least on mine) is quite a bit slimmer than on the .44-chambered 1894s. I specifically handled one of each right next to each other the day I bought my 1894CSS and I was really surprised at the difference in the forestocks and in overall handling and ergonomics... might be subtle to some but felt really different to me.

Go ahead and grab one up and see how you feel about it then.... I doubt you'll feel the need to swap it out once you've lived with it for a while...

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Yup! Ain't noth'n to it at all!! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i, personally, like the forend of my .357.

if i were to initiate a 'change' in the forend, i would indeed, purchase another and leave it in the standard form for future reference; "just in case"...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

My first gun was a 39a that I received for my 12th birthday and is late 70's vintage. So, other than the uber-fat earlier models, Marlin rifles just feel "right" to me the way they are. I don't care for the broomstick feel of the Winchesters but I do love the look of the slim and trim lines of those rifles. To my eye, the slimmed down forend looks best with a straight gripped stock.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

It will take you about two hours with a plane and sandpaper to make the fat grip into the old style. Add a stock from tree bone for the butt and you willl have a nice OLD marlin.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I used an orbital sander on mine - worked good. Removed the finish on the buttstock
and stained them both to match. Just don't remove any wood off of the wrist or any place
that wood meets metal and you'll be good.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Personally, I like 'em just the way they are. :)
Happy Trails!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You can split enough shakes off a Marlin fore end to shingle a two-car garage... And SHOULD!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Buck Elliott wrote:You can split enough shakes off a Marlin fore end to shingle a two-car garage... And SHOULD!
I assume you all are NOT talking about the currently made 1894Cs, which is what the OP was talking about... these do NOT have fat front wood.....

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Haycock wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:You can split enough shakes off a Marlin fore end to shingle a two-car garage... And SHOULD!
I assume you all are NOT talking about the currently made 1894Cs, which is what the OP was talking about... these do NOT have fat front wood.....

Haycock
You are quite correct sir.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Haycock wrote:

Haycock
You are quite correct sir.
Well see. now I'm all confused. I was talking about current production 1894's but from this info you are saying the have made them smaller recently? I have handled the 1894's and they felt fat but this info has got me to thinkin. The last one I handled was at a gun show in November. It had a fat forearm but IIRC it was also marked at $495. If they have indeed reduced the size of the current forearm maybe the last one I handled was used? Would also explain the below $500 price tag.....

Hope the same dealer still has it so I can check.

LK
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

L_Kilkenny wrote: Well see. now I'm all confused. I was talking about current production 1894's but from this info you are saying the have made them smaller recently? I have handled the 1894's and they felt fat but this info has got me to thinkin. The last one I handled was at a gun show in November. It had a fat forearm but IIRC it was also marked at $495. If they have indeed reduced the size of the current forearm maybe the last one I handled was used? Would also explain the below $500 price tag.....

Hope the same dealer still has it so I can check.

LK
If you are sure it was a .357 that you handled (vs a .44) is sounds to me like it must have been an older model. The recently manufactured ones have slimmer wood... dunno how long they've been built that way... maybe someone else here knows that......

Haycock