OT 20 Horse Power, Really

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

OT 20 Horse Power, Really

Post by 20cows »

When "20 horses" meant twenty horses!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT 20 Horse Power, Really

Post by Blaine »

Thanks! That's really cool.
Is that TERRY on the back of the rig?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

those were the days.

not a hi-rise or subdivision to be seen.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wow. I can only imagine what it'd be like running that team all day. Just holding the reins would be a work out.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That pic bring to mind the old "20 Mule Team Borax" ads of yesteryear - when I wuz a "yout" ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I lived in that area many years ago. The world would be a better place if it still looked like that!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Horse power is a pretty funny term. If you think about it, there is now way my dad's 250 HP pickup truck could ever match the power of 250 horses. They would just pull his truck right out of the way.
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Today that area is solid city! Somewhere I have a similar picture of my great great grandpa`s farm in wisconsin with about 15 guys with a steam engine. He was in the civil war and died in 1906, so I belive the picture was in the late 1880s or 1890s.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It would be interesting if one of you Californiaites could go there and try to find that spot or one close to it and take us a "now" picture facing the same way.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Anyone know how in heck that machine worked? Looks like maybe it's weighted down in back. Was it just a cutting machine?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I used to live in the area and knew it pretty well. You would have to get on top a tall building and compare the mountain ranges with the picture in the background. You would never see those mountains from street level for the buildings. I probley could take you within a mile though with the 1st try. Lankershine is the main street that runs north & south through north hollywood, also called the san fernando valley. Van nuys is both a blvard and city in the center-west of the san fernando valley. Years ago when I worked and lived there, most the time you wouldnt have been able to see that mountain range for the smog. I think that did get better though with the mountain of auto remission restrictions etc. In the 60s I worked both for lockheed aircraft and universal movie studios there. Security on both jobs. I also used to fly out of there. Once I flew in and as I settled through the smog my eyes watered up so bad I needed my guardian angle to land!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

That is far more than a cutting machine. A one or two horse cycle cutter could do the cutting. It must be the earliest of combines. Usualy roll the hay in huge rolls, but soon after, bail it. Large steam engines or tractors were in use for some time before that picture was taken useing horses. (At least where I was from in wisconsin.} My dad & grandad before him were large farmers and told me about it. The farmers would help each other on the opperations. When I was a kid you would hear about "threashing crews". Young guys would follow the harvests across the midwest in the big rigs. The women would always outdo themselves as a matter of pride feeding the large crews, they worked super hard and would eat a mountain of food! I belive we are talking about the mid 1890s to 1950s or so untill the machinery got down in price to where even the larger farmers and ranchers could afford the equipment. Now there is only the large farmers can afford to stay in business. Years ago in wisconsin a family could live off 80 acres. Now the sucessfull farmers need to control a square mile or better yet, two to survive. Those old time farmers also raised their own slaves. My dad was one of 16 kids! (That was a little extreem even back then.)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Seems like whatever they're harvesting would be trampled to dust by all them nags before a cutting blade or the tine of a rake ever got near it.

:shock:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

FWiedner wrote:Seems like whatever they're harvesting would be trampled to dust by all them nags before a cutting blade or the tine of a rake ever got near it.

Now that's funny, right there. I thought the same thing.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Here's a map showing how the area was subudivided. The major "intersection" is San Fernando Road and Tujunga Blvd. Today, the streets no longer intersect. The link it to a google satallite map (couldn't figure out how to git it to show as an image) today.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 19205&z=16
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

FWiedner wrote:Seems like whatever they're harvesting would be trampled to dust by all them nags before a cutting blade or the tine of a rake ever got near it.

This pic will clear that up - :D

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That makes much more sense.

Even having been raised on a grass farm, I had no idea that such a contraption existed.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Also appears that the driver is using a jerk line but I didn't think they used that in farming . If you look you can see the lead team (right )is hooked together with a pritch stick which you then only reign one animal with jerk line (right animal , steady pull , turn right , series of short jerks turn left (jerk line)and the ones connected by the pritch stick follow that animals movements because the head goes and the rest follows (literally)You actually could use the left animal for jerk line if needed but that animal was broke to turn left with steady pull etc.Oh don't forget that if a particular animal was broke as say off side wheeler then thats where he went day after day until you changed him to brake team or lead team etc. The leaders are also connected with a short chain connecting them at the surcingle. In Bruce Scotts picture you can clearly see two reigns and they used them, one reign each on the outside animal of the lead team and you steered them with a pull on that reign and if you look close you will see a chain between the leaders (3) pull right , he turns and the connecting chain to the next two moves the lead team right and the rest follow .The weights that you mentioned doc is the sacked grain out of the thrasher. the two men standing on the ground , one would hold and fill sacks , shut the gate ,set sack to the side ,and second fellow would sew the sack top with cotton string and then lay them down around the machine til wagon would get back , and wagons would pull up to thrasher , load , then freight the sacked grain - field to grainery.Some of the thrasher crews would pile up sacks on thrasher and then set them off 4-6 whatever in small piles and then move on so that the thrasher wasn't waiting on wagons , just depended on size of machine/crew . Would take a few wagons to keep up with this crew and of course it depended how far it was to grainery .Great pic' s20cows and Bruce Scott .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:Thanks! That's really cool.
Is that TERRY on the back of the rig?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: --Good one dude!
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD