OT: Tomorrow is the big day ..... update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Tomorrow is the big day ..... update

Post by J Miller »

Tomorrow at 11:00 I'll be in the hospital getting the long waited colonoscopy. It's been reschedualed once by the hospital, and once by me (I got sick after a Dr office visit.).
I started the prep at midnight last night, no solid foods until tomorrow. At 11:00 this morning I took a laxative, and at 6:00 tonight I start drinking some foul concoction prescribed to purge all matter from my plumbing. I got 2 to 3 hours to drink at least a half gallon of it. At least a half gallon of salty stuff that has the great possibility of making me barf or driving my blood pressure through the stratosphere. I've cut way back on my salt consumption, so this stuff will be like a mega over dose of sodium.

According the pre-procedure instructions I can have: water, black coffee or tea with sugar (no milk products) oops I had a slug of chocolate milk this morning- oh well, soft drinks such as Pepsi/Coke, Gatorade or lemon-lime, plain Jello, broth, bouillon and clear juices such as apple or white grape juice, as well as popsicles, hard candies, lifesavers. Can't drink anything red in color. I can do this till midnight tonight. After midnight, no more water even.

But ..... no food. And I'm already hungry. To put it mildly, I'm gonna be a sick puppy come tomorrow afternoon. By these instructions I can't even drink water tomorrow AM to take my BP meds ... and that could cause a problem.

Oh whata lotta fun we gonna have .......... :roll:

So, if you guys don't hear from me after tomorrow, I'm sure my wife will be glad to take high bids for my toys. :roll:

Well, if you've read between the lines you'll know I'm not looking forward to this. I hate hospitals, I hate tests and procedures, and I'm developing a really intense dislike for doctors too. Nothing persona AJMD, I just don't like the feriners I've had to put up with here in Springfield.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Tomorrow is the big day ..... ewww yucka pooy

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Ahh,...don't worry about it Joe,..it's only WEIRD the first time..! ... :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Word of advice from experience, when you drink the salty stuff, don't have anything scheduled you can't break away from. You might want to set up a TV in the bathroom to save you some run time cause it WILL clean you out.

All funny business aside, I'm sure everything will go well. Don't worry about it, it's a non-event. The build-up and hype is way worse than the actual procedure, IMO.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good luck Joe. I'd listen to deerwacker if I was you. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Good luck joe, hope it goes "smoothly" :wink:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

God's Blessing on you Joe! You'll get through this just fine and you'll be laughing about it in a couple days!
38 Special
Levergunner

Post by 38 Special »

Don't worry bout this too much, it's the thought of it that causes so much unrest. You will have got through the worst bit with the starving and all !! Be done with before you know it. Goodluck and Godbless.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good Luck Pal! Prayers up!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good luck Joe, the actual procedure is nothing to worry about :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Really though ................ I'd rather go shooting :P

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

When I have to go in, I always think of a line from the movie The Long Ships (1964) spoken to Viking Richard Widmark by Moor Sidney Poitier: "We shall test your courage, infidel, and you shall ride the silver stallion..." or something like that...

You'll be fine Joe. Like the others have said, the anticipation is the worst part...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Does anyone know how many calibers of the bore snakes they make?

ooops, wrong topic... :oops:

Seriously, take care of your self Joe. It will soon be over and in a couple of days you'll have forgotten all about it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Who knows? You might have a new best friend.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Make sure they knock you out first, before they start :o
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Now there Joe you just try and relax some for us!

Take care big feller.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

don Tomás wrote:When I have to go in, I always think of a line from the movie The Long Ships (1964) spoken to Viking Richard Widmark by Moor Sidney Poitier: "We shall test your courage, infidel, and you shall ride the silver stallion..." or something like that...

You'll be fine Joe. Like the others have said, the anticipation is the worst part...
:lol: :lol: :lol: After I stop laughing I will say a prayer for you Joe!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Dave Barry's Colonoscopy Journal:

... I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis. Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies..

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor. Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water.
(For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.)

Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.

The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.

At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.

Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At I first was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.
When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere.

I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, Dancing Queen' has to be the least appropriate. You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me.. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking 'Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine ...' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood. Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors.

I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

ABOUT THE WRITER... Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning

humor columnist for the Miami Herald.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Joe,

Nothin' to it; I've had 3. They give good meds that make you forget everything. The forgetfulness can continue for a few hours after it's over. We always went out to eat afterward and the next day I always asked the same questions. Where did we go? What did I order? Did I like it?

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You're about to go thru the worst part of the entire thing, drinking that 5 gallon jug of crappy tasting slime. When you hit the OR and they get you hooked up to the IV drop in the fun stuff in the syringe you won't know much of anything happened until they're trying to get you to get yourself dressed.
PS after you start drinking that stuff , no more fartin for a few hours. :lol:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Today is the hard part, Joe.

My dad put off his visit with the magic wand for years. When he finally went, his procedure was done at a teaching hospital, so ya really never knew who was gonna take care of ya.... The doc came in and dad noticed his name tag "Holmes". Dad says to the doc "Tell me your first name"

"John"

That was it, the ole man started laughing and they tell me he joked all the way through the procedure, (of course the la la juice means he didn't remember any of that).
Certified gun nut
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU'LL BE FINE, JOE. I HAD THIS DONE LAST MARCH IN THE HOSPITAL AND IT WAS A PIECE OF CAKE. THE DR WAS A FINE LOOKING MIDDLE AGED BLONDE WOMAN. WE WERE TALKING AND LAUGHING AND AFTER A SECOND I MADE A JOKE; SHE SAYS "ALL DONE WASN'T THAT EASY" ? NO KIDDING I HAVE NO IDEA HOW LONG IT TOOK BUT OUR CONVERSATION NEVER MISSED A SYLLABLE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Ahhh. Chas beat me to the colonoscopy journal...Hey, Good luck Jmiller, it aint so bad if they do it early, so you can take your meds and eat by 10'30.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

LOL Yeah, I had my second one in Sept. Being a cancer survivor, the docs thought it prudent that they check that end, too. No problemo, passed with flying brown, er, colors. :mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Don't worry about it Mi Amigo...we'll see you on the backside (snicker). :shock:

LB
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Dont worry about it joe. We wont hold it against you. After all, no means NO! Cept at the big house, or getting your colonosopcopy!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I've busied myself fixing the holster I asked about the other day. Turned out pretty nice for an old beat up thing. Then I fixed a cut in the gun belt. It is a home made outfit and who ever cut the slots in the belt for the cartridge loops slipped. All fixed now.

I got my jug of witches brew all made up with the little packet of lemon flavor. The instructions say to use a straw and suck it straight down so you don't get the salty stuff in your mouth. Not sure it's gonna matter.

Chas.
I laughed till I had tears down my face at the colonoscopy journal. That is a hoot.

Tomorrow I'll see if I'm capable of giving you guys a report before the dope is totally worn off. That might get me banned though.

And yes SIU is a teaching hospital. So I have no idea who's gonna rotor rooter my innards.

Oh and they are going in through both ends, they wanna check my stomach for ulcers and what ever too.

You guys are a hoot.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Oh and they are going in through both ends, they wanna check my stomach for ulcers and what ever too
:o :shock: Holy stuff....make sure they wash that thing before they put it in your mouth :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Hey joe. I knew this guy at work. He was always complaining about his stomach. We told him to go to the doc, but he wouldnt, for he was cheap. Then one day he was complaining and a new guy on our dept told him about a good cheap doctor he knew of. The guy went, came back and cussed us out. Said he went to this rickity cheap office building in the poor part of town. Said there wasnt a seperate waiting room, but everything done in one big room. He said this huge fat guy was just ahead of him. Doc asked the guy why he was there. The guy said, Doc, muh butt hurts real bad! Doc said bend over and gave him a finger wave.
Then the doc just told him he had hemroids and wiped his finger on his apron, wrote a prescription, and turned to our buddy. Whats wrong with you? My stomach is really bothering me. Open your mouth and say ahhh. Just then the doc took that same smelly finger and popped it in my mouth and I started upchucking, then that doc said, ya got a weak stomach and writes me out a prescription!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:
Oh and they are going in through both ends, they wanna check my stomach for ulcers and what ever too
:o :shock: Holy stuff....make sure they wash that thing before they put it in your mouth :P

SNORT!! :D
I almost swollowed my toungue!!

I took my Dad in for his first a couple years ago.
He was a happy guy on the walk out to the truck.
I swear he hit on every woman in the place! :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Hobie wrote:Does anyone know how many calibers of the bore snakes they make?

ooops, wrong topic... :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best of luck Joe. Hope it doesn't make you too sickly.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2ndovc wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

SNORT!! :D
I almost swollowed my toungue!!

I took my Dad in for his first a couple years ago.
He was a happy guy on the walk out to the truck.
I swear he hit on every woman in the place! :lol:

jb 8)
Ummm, well if I do that I still might not make it home. My wife is designated driver tomorrow . :oops:

As for doing both ends, I think they'll probably use two rotor rooters and hope to meet in the middle somewhere ...... :o

And it's 6:20 and I'm on my second 8 oz glass of witches brew.

Ahhh, so far ....... so good.

Joe

Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Not to worry Joe. I'm sure everything will come out well in the end.

All kidding aside, I'm a hospital wimp, too. I use the philosophy that if you ignore your aches and pains long enough, they will go away. :|

Good luck and hope you get a good report
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Good luck Joe.
ED
Yer never too old
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

This is the funniest thread I've read since hearing about the huckster Maddof learning about the "Dark Side" from Antoine his cellmate.

LB
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Warning rated R for foul language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

5th glass of witches brew ..... I got the 1/2 gal down within the 1 to 2 hours required.

Ummm, things arrrrrrreee beginning to move ... I think. :shock:

Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You can do it Joe!!! 2 times for me. They want me to get it done every 5 years. :x
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Had my first one last Friday. Yup, nothing better tasting than a half gallon of camel snot. By the third glass, I learned to be setting on the pot WHILE I drank it. One glass in, one glass out. They're right though; those are some dang good drugs. I got more rest in that 25 minutes than the whole night before. I was told that it was a variation of the "date rape drug".........how appropriate :lol:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I expect a complete range report ;)

(we'll waive the fine for not posting pics)
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm almost done with the witches brew. And I've evacuated a LOT of water. Seems like this stuff is going straight through me. Not much solid waste at all.

My butt feels like I might need a sling for it though.

Joe
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

adirondakjack wrote:I expect a complete range report ;)

(we'll waive the fine for not posting pics)
SNORT # 2!! :lol:

You guys are killin' me!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Best of luck to you,had it done twice now but it is still one strange experience! :shock:
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I consider the "liquid plumber" to be the worst part of the whole procedure, and the rest to be cruising downhill.

I was REAL apprehensive about my first colonoscopy, and since I disliked the prep, I was prepared for the rest to be downright miserable. After I got the gown on, I stood up, rocked back and forth on my feet there in the staging room and said, "I wonder how many cotton balls are in that jar?" That was a bit from the "King of the Hill" colonoscopy episode, and my RN wife busted out laughing.

"I'll bet there's thirty. Yep. Thirty."

Once that happened, whatever tension I had was gone and everything from there on went smooth as sh... uh, silk. Still, once every five years is enough.

Best of luck to you tomorrow.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good luck tomorrow Joe! Prayers will be with you!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

If you sass us when you come home, we will start to worry about you!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

To any having this in the future, I would highly recommend a bidet. No one makes paper soft enough for that many times :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Leverluver wrote:To any having this in the future, I would highly recommend a bidet. No one makes paper soft enough for that many times :mrgreen:
Boy howdy you ain't kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done with the witches brew. And my system seems to be cleaned out. Nothing coming out but water now.

But I am exhausted. If I thought I could get away with it I'd go to bed.
I'd be right back up though.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. Take a 'pad' of some sort with you en route to the hospital - your colon may have some 'last minute' emptying it wants to do. :? :shock:

2. I think they give you a 50% discount if you let them use a web-cam and post it on the internet; just cover your eyes so none of us recognize you... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Still got the calcium silicate and a couple more glasses of water to go yet. When I woke up a nice nurse had a glass of water with a straw in it asking "would you like a drink?". My reply was "thank you mam but I don't think I want anything to drink until 2010" :mrgreen:
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

After you wake up they tell you to get rid of all that air pumped in you. Thats when it gets a little embarassing depending on the nurses around you.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Good luck, Joe! Prayer said for good results.
Have you hugged your rifle today?