Removing Round From Chamber Without Feeding Another?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Removing Round From Chamber Without Feeding Another?

Post by InTheWoods »

Can this be done on a Marlin 1894? Procedure?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Removing Round From Chamber Without Feeding Another?

Post by gundownunder »

I don't know if there is a right way to do it, but I have found that if I eject one with the rifle on its side so I can catch the ejected round, then sometimes the next round rolls out into my hand as well.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, let me go get my Marlin and some dummy rounds and find out.
found Marlin...
found Guns&Ammo writer rounds (dummies)
loaded Guns&Ammo writers into Marlin
Yep, you sure can unload the chamber without feeding the next in line.
Just turn the rifle on it's left side with the top sorta facing down, point the muzzle a bit down and shake it so the round slips out from under the extractor and then roll it over with the right side down and the round will fall out.
Marlins do not work like Winchesters, when you have the action completely open the next round is still held in the magazine by the carrier.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Just a tip. On my 1892 Winchester, if I slightly push in on the loading gate as I open the lever, I can extract the chambered round without releasing the next round from the magazine.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

If ya lay a Marlin on the left side, (port up), slowly open the lever, stopping JUST as the round is touched by the ejector and the nose begins to lift, you can pick the round out, close the bolt from there and the round on the carrier stays there.
Certified gun nut
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Apparently it can be done with Marlins, tho it isnt as easy to do as with Winchesters. I tried A-Jacks method, and it worked.

I've been largely unsuccesful in getting my Marlins to do it in the past, part of the reason I've tended towards Winchesters over time.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Just an interesting note to those who may not be familiar with this model: I have an 1883 Winchester, a Winchester-Hotchkiss, which is of course a bolt action. Winchester's first bolt action. Mine was made in 1898. The 1883 was one of the models submitted for testing (and eventually limited use) by the US Army as one of their first magazine rifles. It is a .45-70. It actually has a very handy magazine cutoff. The army did not want soldiers to get too used to using the magazine, so soldiers were directed to load a new round every shot. Hence the magazine cutoff. The use of the rounds in the magazine was only 'for emergencies.'

While I still only use black powder cartridges to be on the safe side, the 1883 is a neat gun to shoot. In my opinion, it is an improved design over the Trapdoor. Mine is a musket with the long barrel. But overall length and looks are pretty comparable to an 1873 or 1884 Trapdoor. Think Trapdoor with a Winchester looking receiver.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams