OT - Engraving

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Engraving

Post by kimwcook »

Given the posts by RR7 about BBQ guns and such, plus someone was talking about engraving and it got me looking at Nutmeg Sports, etc.. I made the statement to the wife that maybe for Christmas some year I could get one of my guns engraved. She said "You want to have one of your used guns engraved. Wouldn't you need a new gun for that?" I told her that one of my Colt SAA's would be okay for it and she again stated "But wouldn't it be better on a new one?" I about fell out of my recliner.

Anyway, I'd probably have a handgun engraved rather than a longarm (I'd like to get another Colt SAA in 45 Colt and 4.75" bbl. and then have it nickeled). That way I can wear it to BBQ's. :D Who has personal experience with a good engraver and who would you suggest. Oh, the wife said we're not spending thousands on the engraving. I'm thinking around B to C coverage and have seen anywhere from $500 to, well you plug in the highend.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT - Engraving

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Run, don't walk, to take her up on this offer! :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Jim Downing, The Gun Engraver. Jim is the nicest guy ya ever wanna meet and a full time engraver for 30+ years.

http://www.thegunengraver.com/

We did a little horse trading a couple of years ago. He engraved the bolts for my Marlins

I simply wrote on a piece of paper what I wanted, outlined the bolt shape around it, and he made it so.
Certified gun nut
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

I had a 2nd gen Colt 45 engraved by Jeff Flannery and was very happy with his work.Full coverage and refinished in CC and blue and he fitted one pc ivory.About $800 12 or 13 yrs ago.If I was going to do it again I would consider nickel or silver plate as the engraving shows better. www.flannerygunengraving.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, USFA sells Colt SAA clones ( US made ) unfinished, so they get get some of those chicken scratchings put on it.

The pre-eminent SAA engraver, today, is John Adams - who used to be a Colt Custom Shop engraver, but now operates a custom engraving service in Vermont with his son (John, Jr), who is just about ad good as his Dad.
Here's their website, w/pics/prices/biography/etc:

http://www.vtgunsmiths.com/adams/jaeindex.html

Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Couple of engravers I use/recommend
For Colts: Ken Hurst (Former Master Engraver Colt Custom Shop)
For Winchesters: Pauline Murelle (Former Winchester Custom Shop Engraver)

If you want/need contact info let me know

Mike
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

CHARLES LEE ex J. Purdey and Sons. He is the best. (209) 763-5192. Tell him you are a friend of mine.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Talk about addictive candy. Holy smokes! I've about shorted out my keyboard. Thanks for the replies guys. I've looked at engraving for years, but never really gave it any serious consideration. This is also going to take some planning.

If some of you haven't looked at engraved Colt SAA's I suggest taking a look here. WARNING: The viewing of this site may cause an accelerated salivary reaction and upon acquisition a serious depletion of your monetary accumulations. :D http://www.nutmegsports.com/ Take a look at the gun list.
Old Law Dawg