16" Lever in 45 = FUN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

16" Lever in 45 = FUN

Post by Poohgyrr »

Whether you call it Long Colt or Colt, we just spent the weekend shooting mostly standard factory loads and a few heavy thumpers from Double Tap. Winchester's 94, even with that real ugly cross bolt wart on the side, is a lot of fun in this caliber. Wish I had a couple 92's. This pic was taken just outside the cabin this morning. If you look closely, the trees and manzanita are burned, from the Dobbins' fire a few weeks ago.

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy32 ... G_0465.jpg

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy32 ... G_0464.jpg
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 16" Lever in 45 = FUN

Post by Andrew »

That is sweet looking. Wish I had one. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That looks like a fun place to go shoot - and a great lever to shoot with!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :D
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Poohgyrr,

My shooting buddy and I both have Puma 92's in .45 Colt. They're fun to shoot and amazingly accurate.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Neat Trapper!

I have a Trails End in .45Colt that I really enjoy shooting too.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

got one just like yours and yes its a blast to shoot gophers with that big thumper while out fencing

^

trappper that is...
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I love my 45 trapper. With heavy thumpers it is like shoulder fired artillery. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Let a friend shoot my 16" SS 45colt Puma this weekend. Had 200 gr's RFN going 1000FPS. He tried to buy or trade me out of it. It is such a fun rifle and load to shoot . All i need now is a Blackhawk 45 to go with it
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I'm going to have Steve Young do some work on a 480 Ruger Puma 92. One idea I am toying with is having the 20" barrel cut to 16.25". Do you ever wish your Trapper was a full size carbine? For pistol cartridges are you losing much in velocity with a 16" vs 20" barrel?
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

NonPCnraRN wrote:I'm going to have Steve Young do some work on a 480 Ruger Puma 92. One idea I am toying with is having the 20" barrel cut to 16.25". Do you ever wish your Trapper was a full size carbine? For pistol cartridges are you losing much in velocity with a 16" vs 20" barrel?
When I was planning my 454 trapper, I was going to have Steve do the same thing. He found that there was a Davidson's limited edition available in the 16" length. Not cheap, but still far less than shortening a 20", so we went that way. Now that model is available as regular issue and IIRC the 480 is available in a 16" version as well.

I gave up a little performance with the 454 going to 16" but not enough to outweigh the handiness IMO. I suspect the 480 would give up less than the 454 as it is a lower pressure round.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd like a '92 Trapper in AJ's C45S. I'd only have to learn TWO new skills: welding AND dremmeling!!! But, then modifying ANY '92 would only need changing to my lifter & guides. Why these'd sell like hotcakes... I could retire! Har!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've got a Rossi 92 in this caliber and it's a dandy little howitzer. It seems to be good for about 2 1/2" @ 100 with loads it like, but an inch of that could easily be the coarse factory sights. Since there a few pics in this thread, I'll seize the opportunity to post one of it taking a break w/my Old Vaquero, also in .45 Colt.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

3leggedturtle wrote:Let a friend shoot my 16" SS 45colt Puma this weekend. Had 200 gr's RFN going 1000FPS. He tried to buy or trade me out of it. It is such a fun rifle and load to shoot . All i need now is a Blackhawk 45 to go with it
That would be me.
That's a fun gun!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I found out from Steve Young it would cost about $200 to convert the 480 Ruger Puma 20" barrel to 16". There are some design considerations in the 480 Ruger and 454 Casull chamberings that make it more complex than just lopping off 4" of barrel and mag tube. Soooooo, that means I need to get a Braztech 92 in 45 Colt to go with my 3 45 Colt Birds Head Vaqueros. I see a pattern forming? I can't see spending twice as much for a Chiappa version since I will have Steve work his magic on it anyway. I bought the 92 in 480 Ruger since it was being discontinued but the real "pack everywhere gun" would be a 92 with a 16" barrel in 45 Colt. I have some Northfork 260 gr cup point solids that will make it be my go anywhere in CA gun. A 260 gr cup point solid can take care of anything that crosses my path in CA, except liberal politicians. Trouble is, liberal politicians are protected just like CA Condors, maybe because of the close resemblance in appearance and lifestyle. Wait, I think I just insulted the CA Condors.