Trophy doe hunting with a Mosin Nagent 91/30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Trophy doe hunting with a Mosin Nagent 91/30

Post by ndcowboy »

Call me lucky, but for the last four years, I have been a perfect four for four on drawing doe tags. In the same time span, I’m batting O for four on buck tags (pretty much the same batting average as most of the Philadelphia Phillies in the past week).
So to make things more interesting and challenging, I’m going old school in my search of a trophy doe (A “trophy doe” measures at least 16 inches from tip of ear to tip of ear, or something like that. Nobody really cares. Telling fellow hunters you have a doe tag is like telling them you have a very contagious disease) by putting away my scoped Ruger Number One 30-06 tack driver and using a 1936 Russian Mosin Nagent 7.62X54R .
I picked up several of these Russian rifles in the past year because A) they are cheap and B) Nicole often leaves me unsupervised. The Mosin Nagents were used by the Russians to fight off German invaders in the Second World War, and most of the examples I’ve found and purchased look like they were probably run over by German tanks in a blitzkrieg while the Russians retreated.
If you’ve never seen one, they are about nine feet long and would make an excellent pole in any pole vault competition. The rifles get longer when you put the two foot bayonet on the end, which I definitely will do at noon on Friday when the deer opener kicks off. You never know when a doe will get close and attack, and I want to be prepared. Plus, when you take a break to eat a candy bar, all you have to do is stick the bayonet into the ground like you are planting a flag on the moon, and your rifle stands patiently by waiting for you. Try that with your fancy Remington 700.
The Mosin Nagents show all the fine craftsmanship of a country that brushes its teeth with vodka after pouring vodka on its cereal. It has crude sights that are calibrated to 2000 meters. I don’t understand the metric system real well, but I think that means I can shoot from here to Brazil without holding over. The stocks come from the finest used corral boards in all of Russia, and the action is as smooth as a rutted section line frozen hard in January.
The 7.62X54R is not a timid round either. It was designed to shoot not only through enemy soldiers, but enemy tanks, planes, foxholes, hills, and buildings. Sometimes Russian soldiers used it to shoot at German invaders before the Germans even left Germany. So it has a little bark to it. When you need ammo, you just call a dealer named Ivan Mihailov located in Chernogolovka, and he goes out in the country with a shovel, digs around a bit, and when he finds enough ammo, he ships it to you. In return, you send him back a case of the finest vodka you can find for about $3 a bottle, and everybody is happy.
There is a safety on the rifle, but nobody has figured out how to use it yet. Seriously. You have to pull back on the action and twist the stock and say magic Russian words or something. It seems safer to just never load it.
All in all, it is a fine rifle. When you buy them, they come covered in enough grease to lube a combine through a record harvest, but they also include an original Russian cleaning kit (a tin bottle with old vodka) so in just a matter of weeks you can scrub all the grease off. Once you get it all cleaned up, you have to work up the courage to fire it.
The first time I shot a “new” Mosin Nagent, I went to the shop and put on a welding helmet, welding gloves, and a heavy coat. Surprisingly, when I pulled the trigger (well, jerked really. The trigger is set at something like 58 pounds) the gun did not explode (my shoulder did, but that’s another story). But I was shooting east, and the bullet went clear through my railroad tie target and headed towards Germany. You just can’t retrain these guns.
So on Friday at noon, I’ll slide a shell into the action, close the bolt by hitting it with a 2x4, and start looking for that trophy doe. And when I find her, I’ll just whisper to the rifle that it looks like a German deer. The Mosin Nagent will take care of the rest.
Visit Neu's Ramblings at Neusramblings.com.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Trophy doe hunting with a Mosin Nagent 91/30

Post by bsaride »

Thanks, good little morning read.

One thing tho,

Make sure that when the doe is behind the railroad tie, that Germany is behind her.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well written, I hope you find that trophy doe. Oh, and where are the pics??
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

very interesting read - I always thought those rifle stocks looked very similar to the kiln wood used to keep the stills fired up. I hope it shoots straight enough for you to take the trophy doe you seek and that you do not get blurry vision from the vodka soaking out of the stock and into your pores. Good luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hilarious post. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks.

Here, Nagant lovers, this'll get yer blood pumpin'. A little something to inspire you as you cuddle your old soldier. Bolshoi Theater orchestra and chorus, 1977. ( takes a minute to load, have patience) http://folk.ntnu.no/makarov/temporary_u ... shoith.mp3
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great read :lol: I once shot next to a guy who was using a Mosin Nagent Carbine, I thought he was using a Flame Thrower! :o

Good luck with the Trophy Doe. :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Buckeye
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Buckeye »

A few years back I spotted a Coyote ..walking the tree line back behind my place..it was about 150 to 175 Yd.s away ...I sneaked in to house and ran to my safe ...but instead of taking my time opening the safe picking out a scoped sporting rifle ..loading it and such... I just grabbed my old beat up 1891 round receiver Mosin and grabbed a couple of 7.62X54r FMJs ,cramed in them in the receiver and sneaked back outside...
Got the coyote in my sights ,whistled to stop the yote and fired the Coyote jumped and ran into the trees ..It had snowed the night before so i took my time cutting through the field....Blood was everywhere that FMJ had hit its mark...The yote was piled up bout 25yd.s from where it was hit ....
I paid 35.00 for that gun..in 1981 after that Yote test ..that gun fell a few more..and a few wild dogs..any misses was on me not the gun..
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it true you have to do a funny walk with that ruskie?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry about learning the metric system with your Mosin... The sights are regulated to the Arshin.. a measurement based on the average step of a Russian soldier. Good luck!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Ben_Rumson wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry about learning the metric system with your Mosin... The sights are regulated to the Arshin.. a measurement based on the average step of a Russian soldier. Good luck!
NEGATIVE! No self-respecting communist rifle would bear the markings of a Czarist system of measurement. Lenin propelled all those peasants into the 20th century and forced them to learn the metric system.

Good read! I prefer the Finnish Mosin Nagant variants, but I can't afford them anymore.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Great post. Way back in the very early '70's you could buy 'em at Otasco's for about $29 a pop.....never shot one but did see a carbine one time blowing flames out the muzzle about a foot long.....good luck on the doe. IMHO they taste better than any antlers ever did.

jumbeaux
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

never read so much BS in my life. :shock: they are a excellent rifle if you can shoot sober or not!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I do like my finn's the best :D
some of my finn's
rooskie
DAV life member.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

airedaleman wrote:
Ben_Rumson wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry about learning the metric system with your Mosin... The sights are regulated to the Arshin.. a measurement based on the average step of a Russian soldier. Good luck!
NEGATIVE! No self-respecting communist rifle would bear the markings of a Czarist system of measurement. Lenin propelled all those peasants into the 20th century and forced them to learn the metric system.

e.
The Nagants made between 1891 and somewhere in the 1920's were indeed marked in Arshins, and you will occasionally see one, particularly if it is one of the US made ones manufactured for the Czar and sold by the DCM in the 1920's-1930's. Many others of more recent import will have the Arshins marks overstamped but still very visible, with the opposite side of the staff marked in meters.

Here is a nice article on the Nagants for those who might be interested.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I stick the bayonet point in the 25 meter target and shoot some really tiny groups. :wink: Mine was a gift that I likely wouldn't have purchased. It is interesting.

Loved the write up! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I'm partial to my M-39 I got back in 92 or 93...pretty accurate with the Sierra 180gr Pro Hunter...I get best accuracy with the nose cap cinched down firmly...Looks like you’ve got some nice ones too.. Is that a 98/30 I see there too?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

jnyork wrote:
airedaleman wrote:

e.
The Nagants made between 1891 and somewhere in the 1920's were indeed marked in Arshins, and you will occasionally see one, particularly if it is one of the US made ones manufactured for the Czar and sold by the DCM in the 1920's-1930's. Many others of more recent import will have the Arshins marks overstamped but still very visible, with the opposite side of the staff marked in meters.

Here is a nice article on the Nagants for those who might be interested.
Agreed regarding earlier Model 1891's. However the subject rifle is the Soviets' modernized 91/30. Anyone still thinking in arshins at that point probably wound up in the Gulag
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Ben_Rumson wrote:I'm partial to my M-39 I got back in 92 or 93...pretty accurate with the Sierra 180gr Pro Hunter...I get best accuracy with the nose cap cinched down firmly...Looks like you’ve got some nice ones too.. Is that a 98/30 I see there too?
M38 and a 91/59 :D I also have one of the rarest ever made.
M1952

DAV life member.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

txpete,

Nice Hungarian 91/30, didn't know they were rare.................. :wink:

The Finn's hands down are the nicest of the Mosin Nagant rifles.

I like the M91 over the M91/30 they just seem to shoot so much better.

Steve
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

While the Hungarian M44's seem to be a bit more common than the Romanian and Polish models, they are still a desirable Cold War collectable. The M91/30's produced in Hungary are even more collectable as they are not commonly seen on the market. It is unknown if they are truly a rare rifle or if they are just misidentified as Soviet rifles. The truth, as it does in most cases, is probably somewhere in the middle. If a collector runs across a Hungarian M91/30, it should be snapped up instantly as one never knows when or if they will see another. These rifles are showing up in decent numbers in Europe but still would have to be considered rare.

http://mosinnagant.net/global%20mosin%2 ... Nagant.asp

I picked this one up from a SF guy that brought it back bad tolz west germany.
all the parts have match numbers the rifle was in unissued cond. when I got it.

DAV life member.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

Frankly, all I care about is getting a shooter for about $100.

Don't care when/where it came from as long as it will shoot better than me out to 400yds or so.

Bout all I can afford at the mo for a "prairie" rifle...
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Sorry about hijacking your thread!!

txpete,

I had the same site open on my computer that you gave the link for!! lol I like that site lots of information.

Nice score on the Hungarian 91/30, it looks to be DDR marked too!! Nice.

I plan on using my Finnish 28/30 on some deer this year. It is one of the most accurate guns I own, including my Remington 700.

Bench rested open sights at 50 yards with surplus light ball it will stay in less than 1/2 inch.

OI,

You can't go wrong with a Russian 91/30 and a can of surplus(440 rounds) for about 160.00.

Steve
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

What importer would you suggest? J&G looks good...

They have both Round & Hex 91/30s for $110 (hand picked for bore)...
Last edited by OI phones in... on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey NDCowboy!,
Good read, almost as good as your book :D You ought to advertise your book on the classified and give the boys some reading entertainment.
BTW, I'm still working on the 1890 Winchester wood crate---------I unpacked it, set it in the corner of my gunroom and that was something like "last winter"? :D --------Gotta get myself in gear :D ----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Sixgun,
Good to hear from you.
You know, I have several projects just like that one that have been sitting in the corner of my shop! It seems like winter isn't long enough, or I'm not ambitious enough.
Please post pics when you get that crate done. It is a true diamond in the rough!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

OI,

J&G in AZ are very good, but you can probably do better with Aim Surplus: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russ ... Rifle.html

Round or Hex doesn't matter they are both of the same strength and round is usually cheaper.

I like this ammo it is light ball which is 147gr:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russ ... R_FMJ.html

The other type is heavy ball is 174gr, which is not found much on the surplus market now. You may need to try both types to see what you gun prefers. Priv Partizan or Wolf make non-corrosive at a reasonable price, so you can try both and fins what you need and buy bulk surplus after that.

If you do decide to get one let me know and I can send you both light ball and heavy ball for you to try, I have quite a bit of the surplus, that way you are not out any money for ammo.

Steve
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

steve I also have a M28/30 sako sky.mine isn't "D" stamped so it is handloads only(.3082 bore).I don't shoot milsurp ammo in my finns.I started to rat hole brass for the 7.62x54R years ago when it was still kind of cheap.
the hungarian M1952 is a excellent shooter.most of the rifles that were built in hungary were snipers and alot of them were sent to viet nam and used against our troops.so a non sniper is kind of rare.I see you picked up on the german proofs on my rifle.most these rifles were exported to west germany.from what info I have gathered from other collectors/shooters some did come in with a batch of russian 91/30's several years ago and in only fair condition.

here is another site I am admin on this one.

http://yesterdaysweapons.com/phpBB3/ind ... 20b9e01500

this one is very good also
http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/forum/i ... 8b7f745153&
DAV life member.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

SteveR wrote:OI,

J&G in AZ are very good, but you can probably do better with Aim Surplus: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russ ... Rifle.html

Round or Hex doesn't matter they are both of the same strength and round is usually cheaper.

I like this ammo it is light ball which is 147gr:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Russ ... R_FMJ.html

The other type is heavy ball is 174gr, which is not found much on the surplus market now. You may need to try both types to see what you gun prefers. Priv Partizan or Wolf make non-corrosive at a reasonable price, so you can try both and fins what you need and buy bulk surplus after that.

If you do decide to get one let me know and I can send you both light ball and heavy ball for you to try, I have quite a bit of the surplus, that way you are not out any money for ammo.

Steve
Thanks. I need a "long range" rifle and want to buy myself a present for being made to re-do basic training at 42 just to get a job...

How's the heavy soft tip by Bear do on game?

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The M1891 (pre Revolution) was indeed measured in arshins (having shot one). The 91/30 and all later rifles/carbines are graduated in meters.

Any of the carbines (for that matter, possibly the rifles) will shoot "correct" to point of aim with the bayonet fixed, as Russian practice was to leave the bayonet on much of the time and always have it fixed when firing (they were big believers in cold steel during the assault).

So if you shoot it with the bayonet off, don't worry if it's a few inches high.

That said the M-N safety is no more complicated than an Arisaka (oddly enough, also used by the Russians)....pull back, rotate left, release. To off-safe, reverse. Even illiterate drunken Russians understood that much.

Having shot a 1917 Imperial-marked M1891, a 91/30, M38, M44 and a few others (no Finns) the 91/30 is my favorite of the bunch. The bolts can be sticky, or fairly smooth......depends on the rifle.

I prefer Lee-Enfields and then Mausers but the M-N has done solid service around the world, and there's still a few out there in action (mostly Afghanistan).
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Dude prolly has more kills with fewer cartridges than any one of his compadres with an AK...

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

+1 I know that my sniper is very accurate and shoots sierra 180 gr bullets better than the 150 gr.
pete
DAV life member.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

txpete,

Thanks for the links, I haven't been to them yet, I usually go to mosinnagant.net. They are a bit rough around the edges though, not near a civilized as here.

I need to get some brass when Grafs gets it back in stock, it goes fast!! My 28/30 is D marked so I am glad I can shoot the surplus in it, I still need to slug the bore, but I am guessing it is .308-309, because it shoot my reloads with .308 just as well. I try not to shoot too much .311 in it because I am afraid of wearing out the barrel quicker than it would using .308 rounds. I may be wrong on that but they ain't making any more of them, so I will be cautious.

OI,
I haven't shot any of the brown bear stuff, I have read that some people like it. I like Privi Partizan mostly because it has good reloadable brass that you can save or sell later on. And the price isn't much more than brownbear or wolf. The wolf gold stuff is also reloadable brass and about the same as Privi.

I haven't been around much lately but you reenlisted, I take it?

If you do get one let me know and I will send out some surplus(its corrosive so you have to wash the bore and breech out with water when you get done shooting) light and heavy ball for you to try, then you can buy what ever shoots the best.

Most of my 91/30's like the heavy ball.

Steve
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

steve I shoot alot of cast out of my mosins.the lee 185 gr lrngc and the 160 tl are excellent bullets.19.0 grs AA5744 is a zippy load with the above bullets.13.0 grs red dot also shoots very well.
pete
DAV life member.
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

SteveR wrote:...I haven't been around much lately but you reenlisted, I take it?
Naah. Not allowed to reenlist, but just spent the last 10 week living in the barracks at Camp Guernsey doing Peace Officer Standards & Testing for WY DOC.

PT, Formations, Classwork, Gas Chamber (OC in the face), the whole bit. At least I wasn't the oldest one there...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

ndcowboy, be careful. Once you start hunting with an old gun with iron sights you may not be able to quit. I sold my modern guns all off years ago.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

ND: Very fine post and a good thread that follows. You are a very wry guy!
Please report on your doe hunt result and for heaven's sake add a photo of doe and Mosin.
Txpete:
Most accurate surplus rifle I have ever had was a Sako M39.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OI phones in... wrote:
SteveR wrote:...I haven't been around much lately but you reenlisted, I take it?
Naah. Not allowed to reenlist, but just spent the last 10 week living in the barracks at Camp Guernsey doing Peace Officer Standards & Testing for WY DOC.

PT, Formations, Classwork, Gas Chamber (OC in the face), the whole bit. At least I wasn't the oldest one there...

Dang, OI, aint you about finished with that by now?
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

OI phones in... wrote:

Are you out of the Daley Empire now? That would be good news. Good luck to you in your new career, you will have some good chances to really move up. You have a really great background and it helps with promotions.

Now you need to get that mosin and make some does tremble with fear!!

Steve
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

SteveR wrote:Are you out of the Daley Empire now? That would be good news. Good luck to you in your new career, you will have some good chances to really move up. You have a really great background and it helps with promotions.

Now you need to get that mosin and make some does tremble with fear!!

Steve
Yeah. I'm living in the Torrington WY area. Got the 91/30 on order (birthday/POST cert present to me). Local shop has an account with J&G, so I went that way. Round reciever.

Love to test some rounds before ordering case lots, so I'll take you up on the offer. PM details?

SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

OI,

Sent email.

Steve

If you don't get it PM or email me back, please.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

ND, excellent read, very accurate description of the finer elements of those finely crafted by artisans of exquisite resolve. I mean how many other weapons have the actual hand chisel marks on their receivers?

Does it really matter as to what gradients they used....they could have called them "cubits" or something, but one didn;t match with another anyways. By the way, they even made 'em with attached, switch blade type ground stickers.

ab4ka
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ab4ka »

I used to collect MN rifles and they are always fun to shoot. I never quite knew what I was getting into, though...I bought one at a gunshow that had an absolutely pristine bore, and it shot "ok". I had another one that didn't look good at all and it was a tackdriver. I ended up moving on to other stuff as I got tired of cleaning them up after shooting corrosive ammo, but I'd like to get another one just for kicks & giggles.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I found this one sat at the gun show.1917 remington P-14 :D sometimes you have to take a break from the mosins.
pete

DAV life member.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

ndcowboy wrote: So on Friday at noon, I’ll slide a shell into the action, close the bolt by hitting it with a 2x4, and start looking for that trophy doe. Visit Neu's Ramblings at Neusramblings.com.
Now that's funny. I needed a rubber deadblow mallet to open my bolt after shooting it when I first got it, but I got it smoothed out now.

Mine shoots pretty well for a 1943 $100 piece of junk.

I like this Bulgarian stuff at Sportsmans Guide. It will be perfect to bury a few tins in the backyard before the black helicopters get here.

Bulgarian Ammo..!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I will have to get some pics of mine it is a 1942.

OI
I don't know how the Bear soft points do on game but my 91/30 shoots their 203gr SP's very well @ 100yards
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Great...because of this post I'll have to tote one of these with me for the deer hunt'n season starting this coming Saturday.

'course my main hunt'n rifles will be my '94 Timber Carbine and Blackshadow chambered for .444, and I will take along my every present '94 Trapper (44 Mag), along with at least one Trapdoor. And for poops and giggles for the youngsters com'n up, I'll bring this thing:

Oh yea, always have a '94 .30-30 handy too.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Great...because of this post I'll have to tote one of these with me for the deer hunt'n season starting this coming Saturday.

'course my main hunt'n rifles will be my '94 Timber Carbine and Blackshadow chambered for .444, and I will take along my every present '94 Trapper (44 Mag), along with at least one Trapdoor. And for poops and giggles for the youngsters com'n up, I'll bring this thing:

Oh yea, always have a '94 .30-30 handy too.
Looks like the Swiss lost its bolt??

Steve
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Steve,

It is actually an Austrian M95 Steyr 8X56R, and the bolt is just laying behind it. Gotta get me one of those Swiss thingy's though, supposed to be the second most accurate military field arm ever, right behind the Swedish M96 Mauser.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

:D maybe... the most accurate milsurp I own is a M28/30 and yes I have a swede and a swiss.the finns did it right free floated HB using aluminum shims and a trigger that breaks smooth and sweet.sako did it right on the M28/30's.not bad for 1936 :lol:
pete
DAV life member.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

6.5 swede took the biggest buck so far I have killed in tx.
DAV life member.