Negligent Discharges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Negligent Discharges

Post by Wind »

Hey all - I was responding to a thread on another forum and thought I'd get in my over-achiever mode and pass the information along here too. I’m a Range Officer for several different shooting venues. Last year I witnessed THREE negligent discharges at different events. One bullet entered the unloading table within 12 inches of my left elbow. The common factor in all three discharges was the shooters hand position with regard to the lever. Picture one shows a hand in the normal loading or unloading position. If the lever is griped as in picture two, the thumb WILL contact the trigger, moving it towards the rear and discharging the firearm. I hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Click on the photos to enlarge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Negligent Discharges

Post by Blaine »

I've had a couple not-planned-for double taps, but the muzzle is always downrange in preperation for the the second shot (that came early). Some just get excited and don't control the muzzle. At the range, I find myself loading them one at a time. That conserves ammo and makes it a bit more controled and safe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

You are right about the handgrip in photo #2. I learned that the hard way.

I was unloading my Marlin Golden Model 39-A once.. I'd pulled the magazine tube and dumped the cartridges on the bed, and returned the follower to the magazine, Just to be cetain, i worked the lever a couple of times in the makker illustrated in photo #2. The second time I worked the lever, the rifle went off and sent a bullet through the ceiling. It was a rather religious experience, it scarred the devil out of me.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I was guilty of that myself I am sorry to report. My thumb was in the same position as the second photo. I sent a 170 gr Win Silvertip through a coffe mug, then a sheetrock interior wall and stucco of the outside wall. I was upstairs and the bullet angled downward into the dirt in the backyard. I had some 'splainin to do, not to mention patching sheetrock, stucco and painting.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm glad to hear that yore elbow - and you - survived the experience, wind.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad not to be a gun club Range Officer & running public sighting-in days, any more.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doc Hudson wrote: It was a rather religious experience, it scarred the devil out of me.
THAT is a quote I'm going to have to remember...!

Such experiences also often illustrate how adrenaline facilitates 'weight loss' via accelerated evacuation of bladder and bowels. :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have been shooting lever actions since 1966 or thereabouts. In all that time I have never placed my hand with my thumb like picture #2. Only an idiot would do that.
I have emptied my rifles countless times by levering the ammo through the chamber without so much as a hiccup, let alone an ND. I keep my trigger finger WAY AWAY from the trigger guard part of the lever and my thumb stays out of the way as well. Something like picture #1.
Nobody taught me that, it's just plain common sense.

I'm afraid if I saw someone handling a lever action as pic #2 shows I'd ream him a new orifice.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***