Kinda OT - Does anyone shoot the .17 HMR?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Kinda OT - Does anyone shoot the .17 HMR?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

In either a lever-action or something else?

If so, what do you shoot (gun), and which ammo does your weapon like best?

Just curious. I read somewhere recently that Savage .17 HMR rifles don't like the 17-grain fodder, but shoot the 20-grain ammunition very accurately. I picked up a Savage a few years back and was not impressed with the round or accuracy. Didn't seem any better than a .22 - and a lot more expensive. Still, maybe I need to give it another try...
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Kinda OT - Does anyone shoot the .17 HMR?

Post by spaceman spiff »

My boss let me shoot his Savage .17 HMR. It's got that new accu-trigger
and out to 80 yards (as far as we shot it) it made holes in the target that
looked like clover leafs. The ammo we used was the 17 grain. This was
shooting off sandbags and no doubt is far more accurate than I am.
I'll be getting myself one this spring. I'm astounded that such a light
projectile can be accurate.

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sorry Kid, if I can't reload it, I don't shoot it. (except .22 LR) I know, I wasted space by responding to something that did not help you at all but I needed something to say as I'm bored by waiting for my son to get out of bed so we can pack and head out to elk country during a snowstorm with 18 inches here and three feet at elk camp.

Jet lag, out of my home environment, away from my dogs is killing me. My only buddy is my son and my 1895.

Whats this have to do with your problem? Today, its going to be me..me...me :roll: :roll: ---------------------------------------------------Live.......from the Rocky Mountains------------- :lol: Weirdo Sixgun :lol:
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:In either a lever-action or something else?

If so, what do you shoot (gun), and which ammo does your weapon like best?

Just curious. I read somewhere recently that Savage .17 HMR rifles don't like the 17-grain fodder, but shoot the 20-grain ammunition very accurately. I picked up a Savage a few years back and was not impressed with the round or accuracy. Didn't seem any better than a .22 - and a lot more expensive. Still, maybe I need to give it another try...
Same experience here with a Savage bolt (non-accutrigger) gun. Tried to swap it back to the dealer on a new breakopen bull-barrel 17 HMR, but he'd only give me $45 towards the trade, on a $215 gun I'd only bought a couple weeks earlier from him, so I kept it.

Haven't really put the breakopen to the test but it did seem a bit more accurate.

Now I'll have to find a box of 20mg's and see if what you were told is true for my gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't get excited enough about them to buy one and ammunition stores for them. Happy with .22 LR and .22 WMR.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

my sentiments exactly, Hobie.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

Friend of mine that isn't into guns like I am talked w/ me about his rockchucks and getting rid of said varmits. I recommended 17HMR and also the bolt repeater from Marlin . It likes CCI 17grs w/ gummy tips as does my break open single shot . Very accurate but boring.
The intended purpose is he has subdivisions within 3/4 mile on three sides and 17 's don't have ricochet issues. the bullet seldom if ever , leaves the chuck, and he doesn't reload, also he has lots of donkeys,horses and mules (60 / 70 head total )so noise because of stock and maybe if he was on the outer fringe of his property was somewhat of an issue.
Also bought my dad a 17 HM2 on a Thompson semi auto action to replace his stolen 10/22. Stray cats,coon,skunk and such around his place and HM2 is good to 100YDS. HMR you'll gain another 25 yds.Both boringly accurate. I also own a Savage bolt in HM2 that I've not shot but if I had it to do all over I would have suggested to all the HM2 . Plenty of range,bullets still violently expand /explode and ammo is lots cheaper for them out here.
For target shooting the 22 rim fire is LOTS cheaper and I can give grand kids all they want to shoot down range not so w/ 17's. Out shooting squirrels I much prefer my 219 Zipper or one of my 204's.
If it wasn't for having stock around the place I think I would look at 22 mag / gummy tips.
Kinda like SIXGUN insofar as "if I don't reload it" but I do have them around for said , specific purposes, but they just aren't excting, but they are accurate. However to be fair rimfires aren't exciting to me generally.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I have a 17HM2(Savage)that is a fun little gun.Very accurate and for the small stuff it is good out to 100yds. Was looking for somthing that was a setup from my wifes RWS 36 .177 Airgun :roll: :lol: Really the wife loves shooting it. Ammo is fairly cheap considering the bullet construction.(500rds for like $65)on sale.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jay,
I think the .17 HMR is just like any other rimfire. Some your gun will like and some it won't. Try a different maker and see how it works. A lot of the guys on graybeards swear by the Handi rifles in that caliber. I was thinking of one my self but the .22 mag just won out. I hope the 34 grain hollow point will be as frangible at the .17 HMR and I can always get 40 grain solids for it as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I've got a Savage 93 in 17HMR that shoots really well. Here's a target from 100 yards with the 17gr(5 shots) and the 20gr(3 shots), shooting at a 1" dot. They almost shoot to the same point of aim. I like it because it's a left handed rifle and has accu-trigger, plus it's as accurate as a rimfire needs to be for anything I hunt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have one of the NEF guns. will shoot dime sized groups at 100yds and with the BSA "Sweet 17" scope, the 300 meter gong is an easy hit. Hard to hear the hit, but easy to hit it. My gun like the Speer rounds the best, even though they were supposed to be the poorest shooting of the ammo that was out at the time.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My 10/22T does near benchrest quality groups at 100 yards with Eley and Green Tag ammo (either are about the price of the .17's) as long as it is a calm day --- plus i have the option of shooting bulk pack fodder to do more fun things like shoot cans and clay targets etc.

Never felt the need for a .17 under those circumstances. I always thought they were solutions in search of a problem. But tons of people buy them and have fun with them tho -----
----- Doug
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

For some reason I have a case of Hornady 17HMR on the shelf but no firearm in 17HMR. I'm sure there was a reason ... I just can't remember it. I must be getting old. Maybe I was trying to convince myself to buy one ... a CZ or something.

I guess it's still not too late. I've got the ammo. :roll:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

I have an older Savage bolt action equipped with a 3-9X33 scope. With the CCI 17gr HP or the equivalent Hornady round it shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards. Shoots very flat too. I've never shot at paper targets past 100 yards but if I sight it an inch high at 100 it hits coke cans about an inch low at 150 and is about 1/2" high at 50 yards.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Hobie wrote:I can't get excited enough about them to buy one and ammunition stores for them. Happy with .22 LR and .22 WMR.
Same here... I'd rather buy another .223 since the round travels faster and is just as accurate and about the same price per.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!