Button mags make more sense than full mags for hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Button mags make more sense than full mags for hunting

Post by J Miller »

Several people have mentioned they don't want to carry the extra weight of a full magazine. Well, if you carry extra ammo to refill your button or half magazine rifle, your still carrying it. Might as well be in the rifle where you can use it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Buck Elliott wrote:
KirkD wrote:
KirkD wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:This is wolf and grizz country, and I'm not quite as quick as I used to be...
Grizzlies you say. Well, I'd confess that if I was rambling in Grizzly country, then I'd be preferring a full mag and it would be loaded right up (though I do wonder just how much time one has to crank out 6 or 7 rounds when a Grizz is covering that 30 foot gap ..... might be better to make that first shot count). One other thing ..... my 30-30 is my travel gun, both in the wilderness and on cross country car trips. That one has a full mag and I like it that way. But that is because it may be called upon someday to do more than just hunt, much as I would rather it not be the case. But for hunting, barring Grizzlies, pot grows and crack shack operations, I prefer a button mag (except on my '76 and my 38-55).
Wolves may be the best "excuse" for a full-length magazine, if an excuse is needed. I don't really want to find out, first-hand.
I'm with you on this. Hunting in CA. I probably could go with 2-3 rounds. In Wyoming last month outside Jackson on an elk hunt,, I had my 45-70 fully loaded. On one morning, at least four to five wolves started closing in around me in a semi circle as I cow called. At first they were howling a distance away. As I cow called, they came in and were barking as if signalling each other. They got within about 40-50 yards inside some thick timber before I moved out. Next morning I had it fully loaded and a few more in my pocket. Also bears up there and even though there may not be time for follow up shots, the first shot could stop or cripple it allowing for follow up shots.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

There ya go...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:Well the 45-70 brawl seems to be dying down so I figured I'd start another free for all. On another thread, I saw a couple members allowing that they didn't like button mags. Okay, if you are going to use your levergun in a firefight, yep! ..... give me a full mag any day. But why would a fellow would fill his full mag right up with cartridges and then lug all those surplus rounds hanging off the end of his gun all day hunting? I have full mags on several of my old Winchesters but I can't remember the last time I loaded that mag right up when hunting. Personally, I think two rounds are plenty, but I like three just for good measure. If I'm feeling a little undergunned, I might stick in a fourth. A full mag made a lot of sense back in the days of the Indian Wars out west, but they do not make sense today on a hunting rifle. I like the look of button mags, and they make good sense. 8) I will say this, however, that I cannot stand half mags or button mags on a carbine. They just do not look right to me without a full mag. But for a levergun rifle, a half mag/button mag makes good sense and it looks good as well.
Frankly, I ain't read any of the 3 pages of responses, so's if this repeats anything said... insert Rhett Butler's line, beginning with the 1st word of this sentence and continuing @ "...Scarlett..." :twisted:

In no particular order of preference; and in some cases, simply as a contrarian point of view:

• Since when should “looks” be a consideration when selecting a hunting arm? Isn’t this simply an extension of the “…an AR platform is inappropriate for the hunting field…?”
• Granted, the weight factor of the FL vs. ½ or “button” mag would be a consideration for the stalk or ambulatory hunter. Such would not be a factor to the stand or stationary ambush hunter. In such cases, the extra weight could be a plus in that the extra weight helps steady the muzzle, whether off-hand or rested shot.
• For my money, and whenever asked, I view the 1st shot, cold barrel, accuracy of the firearm to be the #2 criteria in its’ selection as the day’s rifle. #1 remains the adequacy of the cartridge/load for the game. #3 then begins the subjective list of relative importance that includes such factors as:
1. I’ve not hunted with that particular gun.
2. It has some specific suitability to the game, method or manner of hunt.

Thus ends my diatribe, rant… or whatever. Now to go back and read the other responses. Or, would, except, how does one use fonts? Nevermind, that'd be a turn of subject not permitted under good taste....

Edited for clarity or spelling.
Last edited by Griff on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Rafter 7, that is a beautiful rifle. My very first '86 was a .45-90 with a button mag and ladder sight just like that one. I eventually sold it to someone down in the USA. I went through withdrawal for a long time. You can see a photo of it in that series of button mag/half mag Winchesters that I posted earlier in this thread.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

FYI, when I conducted the the levergun poll last year, the magazine length question was posed. Out of 26 responses, the results regarding what the ideal rifle contained were as follows:
17 for full mag; five for 2/3 mag; four for button mag.

Here's my idea of perfection in an 1886 - 1/2 octagon w/ button mag. I'm a bit biased though.
Chad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Chad, your '86 is a thing of sheer beauty.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'm still somewhat of a novice at leverguns, having only owned 3 (Marlin 30AS, 1894 and Winchester 92 that's actually my wife's) but i prefer full length tubes mostly.

In the larger calibers, the half magazines make sense for balance and weight, for typical usage four to five rounds will "do" if you keep rounds handy.

I'm used to front heavy guns and weight in general, since I used to go for walks in the woods and the desert with 700 rounds of 7.62mm and an M240 machine gun, or an M4 with an M203 attached (27lb and 11lb respectively) and 210 rounds...

If I go walking in the woods I go well armed. Last time out for pigs, I had 10 rounds of .44 in the tube, 15 in the pocket and 50 rounds boxed in the ruck. I never fired more than two, but "overpacking" has always been one of those things. I don't mind the weight, and if things went downhill getting a click when you really needed a bang is a Bad Bad Thing. If I hunted with a larger caliber levergun (.30-30, .45-70, etc) I'd have a full magazine whatever appropriate size to the rifle, an ammo wallet on the belt and a box or two in the bag.

Just because.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Kirk,

Gorgeous pics and stunning rifles! I'm green with envy. :mrgreen:

I own or have owned Winchester 71's, 64's, 53's, 65's and Marlin 336A's and 1895's and .444's. I love a 2/3's magazine or a button mag.

Maybe the button mag '73 that Paul Newman carried in Hombre, started it all many years ago, when I first saw that movie. 22" to 24" barrel, pistol grip, and a 2/3's or button magazine is awful close to perfection.

I like, have, and use full magazine leverguns; but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and mine says shorter mags are super dang good looking. :D
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Griff
Posting leader...

Ugly meets Popularity

Post by Griff »

Joe,

One of the design criteria for the Winchester '94 Centennial was to take the most popular custom features selected from the Winchester production records of the entire production run of 94s and produce an asethetically pleasing rifle.

Guess what? The pistol grip, ½-round/½-octagon barrel with a ½ magazine made the cut. It's more than just a fancy Mdl 64. It's possibly the best looking of any Winchester ever produced.

But, that opinion and $2 will get ya cup of coffee just about anywhere! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You ain't priced coffee in Cody for a while, have you...?

To my mind, NO '94 ever produced is qualifed to be even a 'runner-up' in the Best-Looking Winchester pageant. THAT honor would go to maybe a '73 (my choice...) a '92 or an '86.

My '86 XLR with its "4 1/2-round", 2/3" magazine is a handsome rifle indeed, if just a little impractical. That may be in for a change, though, as mentioned above...

I kinda like the shorter magazines' looks, but their length should have some practical reason for being, as well.

I really like Winchester's older, long-curve, semi-pistol grip better than the later, tighter-arced variety. The close grip just causes a visual distraction that is not of the pleasantest sort.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I got it!! Take one rifle with two front-ends, and you can decide when you leave the truck whatever magazine capacity your heart desires :D :lol:

Here's mine - a work in progress. The rear end is a semi deluxe PG with double set triggers and crescent butt, and a Lyman 21 (factory installed I think). The original front end is a 30 wcf lwt 24" semi deluxe, with no rear sight dovetail (thus my assumption the Lyman 21 is factory). The other front end is a correct short rifle standard weight, 38-55, 22". The 38-55 needs a mag tube band, some fitting, and some TLC.

It will be a few years before this one is up and running. I have an 1886 three barrel set in the works that will tap me dry for a long time. Incidently, the '86 will also have both 1/2 and full mag front ends. Neat!

Chad
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

now thats just cheatin!!! :lol:

^
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

71 Fan is having his cake and eatin' it too.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Most excellent...
Regards

Buck