UPDATED What the heck happened?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

UPDATED What the heck happened?

Post by TedH »

We took a drive out to the folks farm today so my daughter could shoot her new Crickett 22 rifle. I set up a bench and sandbags for any sight adjustments if needed. She really wanted to have the first shot, so I pulled the bolt and glanced down the bore to make sure it was clear and set up a target at about 40 feet. I loaded a round in the chamber as she got settled on the sandbags. Her first shot hit just about 8 inches above the bull. Not bad, I thought. We reloaded and her second shot was about 8 inches low. I asked to try a couple shots to see where the sights were actually hitting. I fired three shots and they were all over as well. We went and looked at the targets and could see most of the holes were perfectly keyholed! What the heck? I pulled the bolt and looked closer at the bore. Not one trace of rifling in the bore! Got home and ran a patch down the bore and it's just rough as a cob, no rifling whatsoever. I guess it got drilled and chambered then somehow got installed before reaming and rifling cut. I told her we would have to take it back to the gun shop or send it back to Keystone. Either way, she's bummed. I'm not to happy about it either, but mistakes can happen. How it will be dealt with from here is what's important. How in the world does something like that ever leave the factory?

UPDATE;

Took it back to the gun shop today. They didn't have another one of the same model, so they just ordered in another one for us and they will deal with Crickett on the smoothbore rifle.

The guys at the store didn't seem real surprised to see such a thing. They told me of another incident where they ordered in a SP101 for a fellow that had no rifling. Talk about yer short barreled shotgun! Something like that would be fun to play with shot loads, but I reckon the Feds would not approve. :roll:
Last edited by TedH on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What the heck happened?

Post by rjohns94 »

I am so sorry for that. Terrible disappointment for sure. I hope they resolve it quickly. There seems to be a lack of pride in workmanship anymore.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

I SAW A SMOOTHBORED COLT PYTHON ONCE. I WANTED TO BUY IT FOR PLAYING AROUND WITH SHOT CARTRIDGES BUT COLT WAS HAVING A FIT ABOUT GETTING IT BACK AS IT WAS IN TRUTH A SAWED OFF SHOTGUN.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A friend of mine got a Colt Anaconda with a smooth bore.

Scared the snot out of him. Thought the Feds would be
banging on his door any minute.
Colt was more that happy to replace it :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Apparently, this is not a rare occurrence with firearms? This is the first time I've ran into it. Again, I must ask how does something like that ever leave the factory unnoticed? How may hands are involved in the manufacture of a firearm? I just can't understand how that bad of a manufacturing defect can go unseen.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ted -

I've never run into that myself, though I have also heard of it. Like you said, a lot will depend on how they handle this. Hopefully the gun shop will simply swap it out for another one if they have one in inventory, and then deal with the manufacturer for you.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That's a tough break but the Crickett people will take care of you I am sure.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Ted -

I've never run into that myself, though I have also heard of it. Like you said, a lot will depend on how they handle this. Hopefully the gun shop will simply swap it out for another one if they have one in inventory, and then deal with the manufacturer for you.
+1!!

I hope the gun shop takes care of this promptly.

BTW, your little girl sure did look cute wearing her pink shirt and holding her pink rifle. My Mom thinks she is adorable.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Ted,
I think that gun is supposed to be smoothbore.They are made for shooting rats and so on.They actually are called .22 shotguns.Some are models with full smoothbore,and another option I think is the last 3 inches smoothbore.Check with the dealer/have em switch guns to one that has rifling. Good Luck!

One below is a little more money but has cool thumbhole stock and accurizer trigger! and actually specifies the rifling twist rate. :wink:
http://dealerease.net/catalog/product.a ... _id=954071
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

madman4570 wrote:Ted,
I think that gun is supposed to be smoothbore.They are made for shooting rats and so on.They actually are called .22 shotguns.Some are models with full smoothbore,and another option I think is the last 3 inches smoothbore.Check with the dealer/have em switch guns to one that has rifling. Good Luck!

One below is a little more money but has cool thumbhole stock and accurizer trigger! and actually specifies the rifling twist rate. :wink:
http://dealerease.net/catalog/product.a ... _id=954071
They may make some as smoothbores, but this one is anything but smooth. It's is definitely supposed to be a rifle. The inside of the bore is way too rough even for a shot barrel. All the tags that were on it identify it as a 22 rifle.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Wow, Ted that is unreal. Must have been a Friday(maybe Monday??)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ted, that really sucks! I feel sad for your little girl, :( hope they make right.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I had that happen with a Ruger MKI Bull barreled gun. No Rifling. Was scared of BATF and having a smoothbore pistol. Gunshop was more than happy to replace it with a new gun. Always wondered if I should have kept it and if it actually made it to Ruger or someone kept it.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Several years back I bought a Rossi Puma in .44-40 that was unrifled. The quickly exchanged it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Their website is down so I couldn't check but I dont recall Keystone making a smooth bore 22. Bought a couple a few years back, one for my son & one for my cousins kid. Said cousin has turned into a real turd but I'm still glad I got his son the gun. Hopefully the kids father will tell him where it came from if he ever gets to shoot it.

Anyway I like the guns for teaching kids. The factory sights couldn't be zero'd on either gun, both needed a taller front, but thats the only complaint I had. Things are very acurate & reliable. Extraction is touchy if not kept clean. I'd think theyd remidy it real quick. Even if they make a smooth bore 22 it wont have a 16" barrel. I believe thats agin the law.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A gunshop I worked for -- many, many moons ago -- sold a guy a Remington 700, NIB, 7mm Rem. Mag., that had not been chambered... Remington denied that could even happen, but there it was... They said that chambering was part of their seamless process of barrel-making, done on a mandrel.

Took the clowns at R a while to admit the mistake and make good on it. :P
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I once ordered a Lee reloading press from Midway. When it arrived, it did not have any threads cut to accept reloading dies. Nicely put together and painted with a fine finish, but no way to actually use to silly thing. Lee did replace it at no charge, but it does make you worry about their ability to supply consistent quality products. It's never a good thing when the customer is the quality control inspector that finds the reject product. Certainly inconvenient and annoying for everyone concerned.
NRA life member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPDATED What the heck happened?

Post by TedH »

Took it back to the gun shop today. They didn't have another one of the same model, so they just ordered in another one for us and they will deal with Crickett on the smoothbore rifle.

The guys at the store didn't seem real surprised to see such a thing. They told me of another incident where they ordered in a SP101 for a fellow that had no rifling. Talk about yer short barreled shotgun! Something like that would be fun to play with shot loads, but I reckon the Feds would not approve. :roll:
NRA Life Member