Color me fickle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Color me fickle

Post by kimwcook »

I've been wanting a '73 in 38/40-44/40 or a '76 in 45-60 for a long time. I went looking around today and came across Browning's '53 deluxe in 32-20 and now I'm waffling as bad as Brett Favre's commercial buying a TV.

Anybody have any experience with the Browning 53 in 32-20. And, what are the esteemed gentlemen of this forum's thoughts on the 32-20 for a small/medium caliber for varmints. Thanks in advance for placating me.
Old Law Dawg
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Color me fickle

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT IS THE FINEST 32-20 RIFLE YOU'LL EVER PUT HANDS UPON. MINE WILL SHOT 115gr LFN BULLETS AT 1500fps INTO ABOUT AN INCH WITH THE IRON SIGHTS, ABOUT AN INCH ABOVE THE SIGHT PICTURE. I HAVE NEVER ADJUSTED THE FACTORY SIGHTS.
MY DEFINITION OF THE 32-20 CARTRIDGE: IT IS A 30 CALIBER RELOADABLE 22MAG.
IT ALSO SMACKS THE LIVIN' STEW OUTTA SMALL GAME !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good ole' KD is a fan n' thats good enough for me cal wise!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I can't help with the decision but I will lend you all of the waffling support I can. I think. Maybe. Well, possibly...

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Terry said it. It is such a fine rifle that we will not think ill of you for buying it. The 32-20 is my favourite small game cartridge. With Hornady's xtp bullet it is extra bad news for varmints. I just use cast bullets, however. The Browning Model 53 is the finest 32-20 within reach of the average fellow. I'm on the hunt for a nice 32-20 right now but I'm looking for something in a 24" barrel just to keep that front sight a bit further from my old eyes. Now I know why the Old Timers liked those long barrels of 28 or 30 inches. It wasn't to make the gun shoot more accurately. It was so they could see that dadgummed front sight nice and sharp.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote: Now I know why the Old Timers liked those long barrels of 28 or 30 inches. It wasn't to make the gun shoot more accurately. It was so they could see that dadgummed front sight nice and sharp.
:D :D :D +1
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

When it comes to reproductions, it's not too tough to find a good '73 or '76, or even the '92. But the Browning 53 is the only reproduction of that model I can think of. If you can get one, you should.

The .32-20 is my favorite "small bore" caliber. In .32-20 I have a Cimarron Deluxe '73 with 24" octagon barrel and full magazine, an original Winchester '92 with 24" octagon barrel and full magazine, and the Browning 53 with 22" round barrel with button magazine. For target work the Cimarron is the best shooter for me due to the longer sight radius and heavier barrel, but for hunting & carry, the Browning is in my opinion the way to go.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love mine. It shoots cast very good( 5 in 1" @ 50 yd.)
Jacketed hand loads will just make one big ragged hole with 5 @ 50yd. Using the Marbles tang sight.

Buy it, you will love it!! :D
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I concur with the folks above -- they are very fine rifles. Moreover, while it's easy to get a repro 73 in the caliber you want (factories pump them out every day), IIRC, only 5,000 of the Browning 53's were ever made. Most SHOOTERS who have them won't let them go except in their estates, so the available population is pretty slim, comparatively. I'd hate to see you pass up the 53; if the price is reasonable, you can always get your money back if you decide it's not for you, but you can't always expect to find one at a reasonable price!

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have a 1917 Winchester 1892 32wcf 24 inch rifle that I bought in the 1950's. I reckon that it is my favorite rifle for most anything short of big game although many many deer have been taken with it. I've not taken a deer with mine but I have shot a couple of hogs and a big gator and all sorts of small game and game birds. The XTP HP in 85 and 100 grain are fine for large dogs of the feral type, they do work fine. I reckon I do like my old 32wcf, you best get one soon and start enjoying it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The '92 in .32-20 (to me) is one of the greatest all time combinations. I have three '92s, two of which are .32-20s that I'd never part with. My little SRC is my all time favorite rifle for hiking and just plain ole wandering the woods.
Just an easy shooting, no recoil, very little noise and all around Darned Fun!

I've always wanted one of the Brownings. Beautiful rifles. One of these days :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"