OT: Deer Damage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

OT: Deer Damage

Post by GonnePhishin »

I wonder if any of the long time deer hunters can help.
We live in the suburbs, on a dead-end street next to a two hundred acre park. There are packs of deer that come and meander through the yards in search of food at various times, and I have been struggling to keep them from destroying my plants/shrubs, etc., by using the spray deer-away, cayenne pepper, and even an electronic device hidden up in a tree that emits the sound of a bobcat at intervals at night time, all to no avail.

For some reason lately the deer like to come and tear up my grass. I don;t know if they are tearing it up with their snouts, or hooves, but there are patches of torn up grass. Last fall this also occurred and I went and reseeded these areas this spring and figured that was it. But DOGGONE it, these darn deer ahve torn up the SAME exact areas again last night :evil: The odd thing is that I look at my neighbors lawns and can't find any sign of damage in their yards!

My question(s) are: Why have they torn up the same areas again, it has to be more then random chance, and any suggestions on keeping them out?

I've been searching the 'net for explanations but can't find any. I would love to fence in the backyard but its way too expensive and besides the fence would have to be 10-12 feet high. Also shooting them is not an option due to city code.

Any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Deer Damage

Post by fordwannabe »

I can't help with the why but I can tell you that a deer won't go within 50 yards of a dog, so this might be an answer. Also might try whacking them in the rear with a bb gun. it won't hurt them but startles the wee out of em.Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Maybe it's a mineral deficiency. Mabye they like the stuff you're feeding your grass and there's a high concentration of it in that one spot. You might try a mineral block at the edge of your property and see if they flock to it instead of messing up your yard.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

fordwannabe wrote:I can't help with the why but I can tell you that a deer won't go within 50 yards of a dog, so this might be an answer. Also might try whacking them in the rear with a bb gun. it won't hurt them but startles the wee out of em.Tom

+1

We live on a street that dead ends into a very large farm and the deer are all around but they won't take more than a step or two into the yard becaus of the dogs. Even though they are inside most of the day the deer won't come close.

As to why they tear up the same spot I'll be interested to see if anyone has any thoughts.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I like the BB gun idea and perhaps you could harvest some venison with a Bow & Arrow? (I'm kinda ignert on this subject as we don't have any deer in our yards in Los angeles!)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

fordwannabe wrote:I can't help with the why but I can tell you that a deer won't go within 50 yards of a dog, so this might be an answer. Also might try whacking them in the rear with a bb gun. it won't hurt them but startles the wee out of em.Tom
Yeah, right!!!! Tell that to the deer that come through and graze on the grass in our yard and property while one or more of our dogs are out and about wandering the property or laying in the yard and on the porch watching them.

It's kinda like our dogs are calling their friends over for a snack party.

As far as whacking them on the butt with a BB gun, that's against the law and should the BB or pellet penetrate the skin it will fester and cause suffering in the deer. That'll make you real popular with the kids.
ED
Yer never too old
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Probably the spots in the grass is from a buck marking his territory. They pee in that spot and then scrape it up with their hoofs, and rub's his horns in it. Might even roll on that spot.
Dump some chlorox on the spot, It may deter him.
Deer repellent made primarily from dried blood will sometimes work.

Don't be messing with getting a deer infected with a bb or pellet under the hide. It won't do anything but spook the one out of there one time anyway.
Dogs, sound recordings, etc all work somewhat , but sooner or later the dog and the deer will call a truce (usually after a deer stomps the snot out of the dog) they get adjusted to what ever sound is made is its to regular going off and nothing else but the sound ever happens.
Call your local Game Warden and ask for some help, chances are he/she may have some super duty repellent to give you.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

There is a product sold locally called "Liquid Fence" that works pretty good. The wife uses it on her flowers and since she's been using it, they haven't been gobbled up by the deer. You should have seen the look on her face when she used to go out and see that the flowers had been neatly plucked off the tulips and all that remained was a stem sticking straight up in the air.

Google it and you can buy it off the internet.
ED
Yer never too old
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D You ought to see the flowering crab tree on the other side of the drive way, Carol has been trying to nurse back to health :mrgreen: She's got a deer license this year. :lol: Even paid for mine. :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have used cleaning pellets (felt wads) shot from my pellet rifle to rid my yard of neighborhood cats. It stings, but does not penetrate. Certainly non lethal.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Person just want to use some caution when using a "gun" to try a deter wildlife.
I know of one case where some urbanites were having trouble with Antelope raiding the garden ( lil buggers love to eat bean plants when they bloom) The would be gardener shooshed them off, and then when they were out about 100 yds fired a .410 shotgun in their direction. A couple of the pellets managed to hit one of those goats right thru the ear hole ,drt as they say.
One of the Urbanite neighbors that did not garden, but loves wildlife witnessed the whole affair, and called the stop poaching hot line.
Something like 500$ in fines for hunting out of season without a license and using an unlawful firearm for the taking of big game. :shock:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Same situation in my area, but no problems with deer eating everything in my yard because it's all natural habitat. Apparently the few plants and flowers that wifey grows the deer wont eat. That Liquid Fence sounds like a winner. Good luck
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

First I would ask the neighbor what he puts on his lawn. Second I would try some moth balls, I heard they repell quite a variety of wildlife,... but can't remember if deer were on the list.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Take a trip to your local barber shop and bag up all the hair that's been cut and spread it around the lawn.

Also if it's a wooded park, you could put plant a clover field or even put up a feeder fairly close off your property.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I think I saw a item in Cabelas once that you set up this motion detector deal
and when it goes off a sprinkler turns on.One of those old kind that has that
little slapper arm on it.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Don McD,

What you say about the buck marking his territory makes good sense, but I don't know about putting clorox on the grass. It'll probably burn out the grass.

I'll look for the liquid fence and give it a try. I've tried deer away, which smells like rotten eggs or a ripe butt, and it seems to work for a while, but they bas8&$%^*(ds always seem to come back.

I actually like the bb gun idea, but its not too practical since the daisy bb gun I have doesn't shoot that far and I'm sure tha the do-gooders who live in back of me would call the cops if they saw me. :x

One last thought, does anyone think a predator call might scare them away, say like a coyote call?

Thanks fellas

Guess I'm just blessed.
Last edited by GonnePhishin on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Is there a small tree near where the torn spot is? If so, is one of the branches torn a little?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

A predator call is usually the sound of some small animal in distress, so I doubt that will work. I would try pouring my own urine on the spot. If you like beer that would git you a reason to drink more of it. Moth balls are likely your best bet. Liquid fence is a little pricy and didn't seem to work very well for me.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You could put some of the chlorox out in bowls or buckets on the spot, but need to screen cover them so somebodies kitty or puppy doesn't see if it tastes good.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Believe it or not put some large Rosemary plants around those areas.
If you live where it freezes then you can use potted plants(move them inside but take a couple big plants grind them up and spread that among your problem areas.
Deer absolutely hate it and it has worked well for the wife.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

madman4570 wrote:Believe it or not put some large Rosemary plants around those areas.
If you live where it freezes then you can use potted plants(move them inside but take a couple big plants grind them up and spread that among your problem areas.
That will help. Here our issue is both deer and rabbits wrecking gardens. The wife got a tip someplace and planted marigolds aorund the border f the garden. The critters stayed out this year. Seems they dislike marigolds. Of course she forgot to plant some by our blueberry bushes, and the rabbits severely pruned them.
Certified gun nut
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

madman4570 wrote:Believe it or not put some large Rosemary plants around those areas.
So, the wife can't stand the Rosemary, either...? :lol:

Sounds like the yard in question may have some underlying (but close to the surface) mineral deposits which attract the deer. If none of the above-mentioned remedies "fix" the problem, file a mineral claim, and start mining.......

FWIW, BB-guns don't have enopugh energy to penetrate a deer's hair & hide. Pellet guns are another matter, as those are what we used to vaccinate elk calves against brucellosis... One shot with a vaccine pellet, another from a modified paintball barrel to mark the calf.

A wrist-rocket shooting glass marbles is a very effective 'shock' deterrent, if you can still hit with one at your age. Besides shooing the deer away, IT'S FUN...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Tycer,

The only tree anywhere near the one particular area of dug up grass (which happens to be within 10 feet of the back of our house), is a pine tree that has lost all of its lower branches up to about 10 feet. But I'll look at the trunk to see if any damage has been done to the bark.

GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Buck Elliot wrote:
Sounds like the yard in question may have some underlying (but close to the surface) mineral deposits which attract the deer. If none of the above-mentioned remedies "fix" the problem, file a mineral claim, and start mining.......
I like that one Buck, maybe I'll find some buried federal reserve notes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

OJ wrote:Colorado is indeed a great state - for beauty (great pics above) and wild game. I bought my house in 1975 and it was the north edge of town - since Colorado Springs could only grow north and east due to geography - I'm now informed the "geographic center" of town is about two miles east of our home. Fortunately, our back yard is next to some 15 acres or so of wooded "Open Space" area that can never be developed so we can enjoy country life in the city.

These are some of our recent visitors -

This big guy naps in our yard, grazes on the long grass ("rustic" zoning here), drinks from the bird bath, and acts like it is his personal yard.

With another buck with a scar on his side -

And - "little brother" -

And, the "harem" -

Even this big guy regards them as friends -

Outweighing most of them may be a factor :mrgreen:
In fact - he likes their company since we lost his sister to bone cancer in June. :cry:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER