OT: Gun Belt leather stamping; 1st try at this...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Gun Belt leather stamping; 1st try at this...

Post by Old No7 »

"Ahoy" the campfire:

(I'm from Maine, I can say that, ayuh...)

The gun belt I got at the Kittery Trading Post down south to go with the nice Schofield holster I got from Texas Jack was VERY PLAIN to say the least, but the color was a great match. After a few months of debating "what to do", I got inspired by some of the other leatherwork done on this and other gun-related forums. Mind you, I've never done much with leather before (at least that I'll admit in public...). So for $20 in tools and extras, I think this project came out pretty good. I'm sure others on this board could have done a better job, or maybe I could have too -- had I asked a few questions first -- but here's some pix to show you the before & after.

Here's the plain Jane gun belt:
Belt before (Small).jpg
And here she is after stamping the leather, adding an Indian-head and Buffalo as conchos and rubbing some brown shoe polish into the stamping. You can see the stamp I bought was a real close match to the holster detail, but the "stamping" on the belt isn't as well done. :wink: Stll, I think it came out OK:
Holster-Belt after (1) (Small).jpg
Finally, here's a view of the holster with my .38-cal Schofield, sort of like you'd see in an old western still, all coiled up in the Sheriff's office or something. Here you can really see what I mean about the color match of the belt and holster:
Holster-Belt after (2) (Small).jpg
By the way, my apologies to Gunny (JReed), as I keep getting little projects like this done, when work or home to-do's don't get in the way, but I've yet to finish the larger project I'm working on for his boys. In due time, I hope, at least that's the plan.

So that's my first leather-working project... And now I'm ready to go out and "play Cowboy"!

Giddy up!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: Gun Belt leather stamping; 1st try at this...

Post by Doc Hudson »

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Lord knows my early efforts at leather stamping and carving left lots to be desired.

Peersonally, i think it was pretty brave to even attempt to stamp a finished item. i always do all the stamping and carving before applying any dye.

Good work!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Looks good to me :D .
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looking good to me. Great job.
Old Law Dawg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That looks real COOL 8)
I'm hoping to get into some leather projects when I retire.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

kimwcook wrote:Looking good to me. Great job.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Nice work, Old7!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Slick! I may get brave someday and try that. (I made a wallet from a kit in 7th grade, so I must be talented :? :lol: !)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Looks very good!!! but did you flip the negative or something the holster seems to be on the wrong side :mrgreen: Lefty Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.