This weekend's "deerless" hunt photos.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

This weekend's "deerless" hunt photos.

Post by Mike D. »

In previous posts I alluded to the fact that the five senior hunters of our little group went without "making meat" this deer season. It wasn't for the lack of trying, though. The ranch's steep and largely roadless terrain makes for very difficult hunting. I like walking uphill, but the downward hikes kill me. The extreme steepness makes for sore feet in a hurry. Being totally mindful of cliffs and sliding sandstone ain't a "bunch a fun". These few pics might offer some perspective of where and why the bigger bucks are so hard to find. They simply burrow into the impenetrable brush and aren't often seen, and then only for a few second glimpse.

Little guys like these hang out where you can walk up to them and "shoot" 'em. Cute little immature "forkies", legal, but "non-shooters" on the ranch. Let the little devils grow a few years and maybe they'll be 4X4s. Of course, by that time they will play "hard to get". This was taken at near sundown on Friday evening.:lol: Image

This terrain isn't for the faint of heart, which leaves me out. I hate to even glass those ridges, because getting to a buck is nigh on to impossible, anyway. Early Saturday morning, as the sun begins to touch the peaks, while the deeper canyons remain dark and cool. Image

The ridges in this photo are very accessible, and some nice bucks have been busted up there. :)
[Image

This "road" was made a few years ago, using an old TD-6 and cut six inches at a time over two years. You gotta make a run at it to get up a couple of the steeper places, especially with the marble like sandstone surface. :o Image

Here, we are heading to some of the back country at the upper reaches of the ranch. Steep and "switchbacky", it's the one and only road the allows the property to be completely "circled". Check out the next steep run coming up in the distance. 8) Image

This shot is looking over at Panoche Valley, with the San Joaquin Valley and the Sierra Nevada Mts in the far distance. Panoche is a 125 mile round trip, as there are no roads 'tween here and there. Image

These densely vegetated canyons are where some nice bucks choose to remain, out of sight until the rut makes them stupid. Unfortunately, the rut did not begin before the season closed. There is even a spotted fawn in one place that must've been born last month. Very unusual for a doe to deliver past June. I tried to get a picture, but we could not find it this weekend.Image

Up here's where I climbed last evening. Many recently occupied beds were found up in the invisible hollows and tiny flats. All the I saw were a couple of does, but there has to be bucks up in there. The wind was into my face, but I'm sure that the salty old deer that we sought sneaked out way ahead of me. I was huffing and puffing anyway, so getting a good shot would've been difficult at best.My sights were wavering like a merry-go-round. When I finally got to the top, I discovered a cliff that was impassable. I backtracked and tried another direction, only to be stymied again by too steep a terrain to safely negotiate. By that time the shadows were lengthening and I was gettin' a bit nervous about the "situation". My location was out of site of the other guys and it was time to get out while the gettin' was good. Finally, after zig-zagging down a steep slope A narrow ridge allowed my to slowly wind my way down to the creek bottom and the parked jeep. After returning to the vehicle, I waited for my partner to wind his way down another ridge on the opposite side of the canyon and we started out. It was 7 PM and after shooting time by that hour, so even if we saw "the buck" we wouldn't shoot at it. The next few minutes sealed the fate of the old jeep for this trip. Powering up the steep , loose road proved too much for the driveshaft and the u-joint sheared on the rear end. We bailed out of the old girl and let 'er go back down the road to settle in the draw. Grabbing some of the gear, we started out to the house, 3 1/2 miles distant and over another ridge. After a while, I settled down and Louie, carrying nothing, kept on truckin'. In a little over an hour, we saw lights reflected off the cliffs above and knew that someone was coming to find our late selves. We went back, grabbed all the stuff that we cared about, and arrived at the house at 9:30. A very late supper of steak, corn, and salad sure tasted good. :D Image

The jeep will sit where it is just fine until next week, when someone will take the old tractor to crawl in there and drag it out. The guns are out, but two pair of Swarovski binocs and the little movie camera remain behind, along with jackets and other gear. All this, in search of the elusive Blacktail buck. Maybe next year.:mrgreen:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This weekend's "deerless" hunt photos.

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks, Mike. Appreciated the pics and story. Hopefully next year will be your guys' year.
Old Law Dawg
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

That country sure looks familiar. Those big bucks will be bigger next year!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mike that is without a doubt the best hunting report of the year.That is how it goes in the real world. Thanks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Good evening to ya Mike D.

Thank you for the tour, and the great pics. I have to say that is the first time I have seen someone elses Coast hunting property. Looks very rugged all right!

And I agree, the season was mixed up this year, for us too. In most years you can count on the last weekend to be in the rut. Not this year, the nice buck I ended up taking was spooked up by a little spike I jumped. The four bucks were still running together a week ago.

(We only had the Jeep's water pump try to dive into the fan! It stayed mobile enough to get us back.)

Well, good luck with next year, the bigun's will only be bigger!
Happy shootin"
OkR
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As usual, nice pics :D Sorry 'bout the ole CJ, but you know as well as I do that baby will be up and runnin' again-----hard to kill those buggers :D

Being an Easterner, I must say that country is not the the 30-30. :( -----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoyed the story and the pictures, nice country, thanks :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mike, thanks for the report. That is real-life hunting. What a fellow does get out of it, even if he returns without meat, is time outdoors, away from the hectic pace of life, and back to basics for a few days.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I fondly remember hunting rabbits in the Panoche pass area to 'sight in' our rifles just before deer season when I was in my early teens. There is some beautiful country around that part of the country.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Now that lead bullets are outlawed for any kind of animal hunting, we "retired" the .22s and are using a more Condor friendly method of squirrel control. A friend's Jack Russell Terrier is a ground squirrel killing "machine". Watching that little ball of muscle and sinew race after the buggers is a riot. Catch them out in the open and they are toast. I couldn't begin to get a picture of him tearing after the squirrels, he's like a little blur. The dog's owner sets up a canvas tarp on the front of his jeep for him to stand on and watch for targets as we drive. The dog flies off the hood and rips for the next "victim". :D Image

After he makes his catch, he proudly fetches 'em and sits with a "smile" on his face. On one race with the squirrel he disappeared completely down the hole and came out with his prize. He cracks the skull so fast that it can't be seen, then he shakes 'em violently, throws the body in the air and does it again. We died laughing at the dog's antics. He is unstoppable. MUCH more entertaining than plugging the squirrels with a rifle.:lol: IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/0910-2.jpg[/IMG]
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

That would be a treat to see!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Hmmm, one pic didn't compute. Lemme try again. The grinning squirrel killer with a score.:mrgreen: Image
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike, That dog, the squirrel and the story that goes with it really brightened up my day. :D The pic with his "prize" continues to make me firmly believe the superiority of dogs over humans. :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You clearly had a great time!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sixgun wrote:Mike, That dog, the squirrel and the story that goes with it really brightened up my day. :D The pic with his "prize" continues to make me firmly believe the superiority of dogs over humans. :D
Sixgun, that little dog is the easiest goin' Jack Russell that I have ever been around. He is totally babied and loves to hop in your lap and curl up. Show him a squirrel, or even say the word, and he goes berserk. I took him out on foot a couple of times to the hillside behind the garage and had to dodge the running squill with the blur behind it. Every time he sticks his little nose in a hole I wonder if a rattler's gonna nip him. A couple of weeks ago, he was so intent on a squill that he hit the lower strand on a barb wire fence and ripped his ear. He returned all bloody with a bit of squirrel tail hanging from his jaw. I was in tears by this time from laughing at the little beast. :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Hobie wrote:You clearly had a great time!
Hobie, you NAILED it! It's not about the killing, or even the meat, it's about HUNTING. None of us particularly panics over not bagging a buck. Heck, that's secondary to the reason for being there. It's being able to carry a rifle over the land we know and love that drives up in the first place. I had over a dozen chances to make meat, but chose to only go after the wiliest of bucks. There's the challenge. We know that they are there, but fooling 'em into allowing a shot at 'em is not easy. If it was, we'd have all tagged out. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bravo M,D. Amazing times, first class :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Great story and pics.....you have to love a good terror, er, Terrier......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Man my sides are hurting! Great fun you guys had there! Glad you guys had water too!
For me that is definitely country for a 30-30 or 300 Savage.. Shoot 'em close and don't chance letting them get over the edge.. Ever! Done it once :wink:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

A really big buck was lost by one of the guys last year. Despite dropping lots of blood and lung pieces, he went over a half mile and disappeared into the unknown. The blood trail got thinner as it was tracked, not heavier like you'd think. I'm sure they were close to the buck, but the brush was impenetrable. Glad it wasn't me, I would've' gone for the dozer and driven over the brush 'til that buck was found. No, it was WAY too steep for that. Guess he ended up pig, coyote, or lion fodder. :(

Water is a scarce commodity down there. All of the stock ponds and most of the springs are bone dry, and the few springs that remain are too alkaline for even the deer. There are seeps in a few of the deepest canyons, but most animals go down to the river and drink. Every morning there is a line of pigs goin' up the hill from the water. We intercepted six of them on Saturday, long before sunrise. We were buck huntin', so left the pigs alone. Next month we'll go after pigs and quail. There are plenty huge coveys up there in the canyons. :D
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Mike, no need to retire the .22. Winchester has some lead free ammo:

http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/newi ... oductid=74
"there's a man going around, taking names.."