OT-Thompson 1927-A1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

OT-Thompson 1927-A1

Post by Kansas Ed »

I've always admired the Thompson 1927, and a year or so ago, almost bought one at Tulsa. But I've never shot one, nor have I seen one shot. Truthfully, I've never even heard reports on them from people who own them. Anyone have any experiences or opinions on this rifle? If I ever get employed again, this may just be my next purchase.

Ed
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Thompson 1927-A1

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a M1 for about a year. Had to sell it to raise a couple bucks.
It was a lot of fun but they are on the heavy side though I wish I still had it.

You can still get surplus stick mags. I liked the 20 rounders the best, though you have to
make the mag catch hole a little larger to work with the Auto Ord/ Kahr carbines.

Pretty accurate and mine worked perfectly.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I have one here. I like it.. Totally useless, but really fun to shoot.. It's a keeper........ I picked up several 30 rd mags and a 50 rd drum. The drum is too much trouble to load, I use the sticks... Actually, pretty accurate.. I have 10 mags, but only modified 2 of them.. Can't use 'em on a "real" Thompson anymore.... If you ever need to know how to modify the mags, give me a yell.........

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have shot an original full auto version. I would second the comments, Great fun to shoot, too heavy to carry around. Geez I must be getting to be a wuss. Its not as heavy as my 1886 in 45-70. :lol: If you have a .45, then you should definately go for it when you can. You won't be sorry. They are accurate and easy to hold on target. I prefer the military styling vs the "gangster" styling.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Well, maybe I'll set my sights on one of those for the next purchase. I think with some HP ammo it would make a great 50 yard deer rifle. Not hard to get shots like that at dad's farm. Thanks for the info fellas.

Ed
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have fired a full auto as well. Lots of fun - when someone else is paying for the ammo! :shock:

My wife got me one (the semi-auto 1927-A1) this year for our 20th wedding anniversary. Heavier than I remembered. Sad to say I have not had a chance to get it out yet. My father was an FBI agent, so this was kind of a nod to him, as he did carry one from time to time. Figured I getter get one this year if I was going to, because as soon as B-HO and his crowd have an opportunity, these evil "assualt weapons" will be the first to go... :roll: :evil:
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

You guys are sooo lucky!

Enjoy them while you can. I am only 24 so when I went out and got my shooters licence when 18 semi autos were already out...

What I wouldnt give to shoot a full auto tommy gun with the drum magazine...would have to be in a pin stripe suite with a cuban between the teeth ;)

Remember how good you guys have got it.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

They are fun to shoot alright :!: Only ever shot one full auto once but will never forget it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ed, I believe that Jeff Quinn reviewed one for Gunblast.com. Check it out.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

We used to have a full auto shoot on the ranch each Labor Day. The Thompson M1A1 was a real hoot to blast away with. It took us a couple hours to load the sticks and about 30 minutes to go through 'em all. One time we had an AK47, FAL, M-14, the Thompson, M2 carbine, Browning .30 and .50 cal MGs. It took a 55 gallon barrel to hold all the empty brass. There was also a huge pile of links to sort through. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I carried a 1928A1 in VN. My tour was cut short, so only had it about 6 weeks. I'd qualified w/it stateside and at 21 years old... nothing was too heavy. Especially something that flat worked in that particular situation. IMO, it's the BOLT slamming back that really causes the muzzle climb... but if you hold it sideways, ala "gangsta" style, it'll also pull the muzzle sideways. Very effective. With that gun, it's not an affectation.

I don't know from a 1927?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When you shoot a full-auto version, it'll give you a rise ! ;) :mrgreen:

Not to mention the intimidation factory, if it used for HD. :shock: .
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:When you shoot a full-auto version, it'll give you a rise ! ;) :mrgreen:
Will it ever! :mrgreen:

My first experience with FA was in Basic with a worn out M16A1 rebuilt to A2 specs. The burst sear was so worn, you could hold the trigger down on "burst" and do a mag dump.

A few years ago, The Boy and I were invited to a FA shoot and there was one of the old Numrich/Auto-Ord Thompsons in M1 config (IIRC). I fired a mag out of it and it was smooth as could be. Then The Boy was offered the chance. I thought back to my first FA experience and told him it was like getting a cherry, mid-50s Cadillac as your first car... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Over the line in Nevada, there's a place where you can rent FA's. My wife wants to try out an M16 and for my next birthday, I told her I want to put a belt through a Ma Deuce 50 cal and an M60. I might have to include a few stick mags through a Thompson if they have one.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I got to shoot a rental full auto once. It was a blast, but I don't see myself spending the cash to have my own.

A semi-auto just wouldn't have the same "shine".
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

stew71 wrote:I told her I want to put a belt through a Ma Deuce
Almost more fun than one should be allowed fully clothed... :mrgreen:
20cows wrote:I got to shoot a rental full auto once. It was a blast, but I don't see myself spending the cash to have my own.
The one trip I made to the Knob Creek shoot, there was a guy with a FA PKM you could rent. It was something like $50/100rds. At the time, Uncle Sam was paying for me to shoot stuff (and even providing the ammo :mrgreen: ) and I just couldn't justify it to myself. Kind of wish I'd ponied up the cash for two belts now. :cry: :roll:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:I carried a 1928A1 in VN. My tour was cut short, so only had it about 6 weeks. I'd qualified w/it stateside and at 21 years old... nothing was too heavy. Especially something that flat worked in that particular situation. IMO, it's the BOLT slamming back that really causes the muzzle climb... but if you hold it sideways, ala "gangsta" style, it'll also pull the muzzle sideways. Very effective. With that gun, it's not an affectation.

I don't know from a 1927?
Dad was a tanker with the Sixth Armored Division. He like the 1928 as well. The biggest thing it had over the M1 Thompson was the detachable but stock. Made it a lot easier and quicker to get out of a Ronson when the time came.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Spent a couple of afternoons going through a couple of cases of ammo with a gorgeous commercial Thompson years ago. After learning to control the trigger to illicit three round bursts, it is amazing how accurate they can be. Out to 75 yards or so, a three pound coffee can is committing suicide by laying still for more than a few seconds. Sinfully fun. Totally useless for anything other than combat or the range.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

If you get one go for the full steel model, my buddy bought a aluminum receiver from auto ordanance (KAHR) and has sent it back once then learned to do repairs himself.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Are all of the Auto-Ord/Kahrs aluminum or do they build both?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They have a lightweight model that has an aluminum reciever.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:Are all of the Auto-Ord/Kahrs aluminum or do they build both?
Both. Mine is STEEL! :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Here is Jeff's article. http://www.gunblast.com/Thompson1927A1.htm

They don't sound particularly accurate to me, and the steel ones with loaded magazines are about 13 lbs. Don't think I would want to be carrying that while woods-walking. The aluminum ones are far lighter and less expensive if I remember right.

I wish it was possible to get one of these!!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

CowboyTutt wrote:I wish it was possible to get one of these!!

-Tutt
American 180. I'd like one as well! :mrgreen:

2nd and YK, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware they made a lightweight version.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

What's an American 180? This is actually a prototype built by Dick Casull in 22 Magnum. One collector did tell me Dick sold the rights to a small company and they made a few but they did not always work reliably. I have not confirmed that however. I'd appreciate any knowledge on the subject.

-Tutt

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

My mistake CT, I forgot the drum of the 180 sits on TOP of the weapon. DOH!

The American 180:
http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg62-e.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American-180

-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Interesting. I like it! Dick's is not for sale and not sure it ever could be. Not sure it even has a serial number and it would be very hard to put a price on. Thanks for educating me about the A-180!

-Tutt

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

No sweat CT! I read somewhere (Small Arms Review maybe?) the manufacturer tried to get a contract with the CIA and possibly some South American govts by mounting 4-180s with the 275rd drum on an ultra-light to be used for drug interdiction work.

E&L Manufacturing (IIRC) has a version of the 180 but I do not recall if they make a semi-auto version. They may have also been the ones that bought the Tippmann Arms miniature MG tooling. How about a half scale Ma Duece in .22LR? :mrgreen:

Is the drum on that .22 Mag machined? It sure looks like it... :shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Is the drum on that .22 Mag machined? It sure looks like it...
Dick is the originator of the Freedom Arms single action revolver. I'm sure I don't need to talk about their quality. I'm sure that everything on his 22 Mag full auto machine gun was custom made in his approximately 1.5 million dollar machine shop.

I just returned from my second trip to Dick's with Mic McPherson and David Torkelson less than a week ago. If I can finish another article first, I may start on my Dick Casull one. I have plenty of things to write about, but need to make the time. Its always easier to escape on my Harley for a getaway instead!

-Tutt