Lever gun for Moose/Elk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Lever gun for Moose/Elk

Post by Marlin32 »

Need some input. Plan on a moose hunt (at least within next couple of years) elk is always a possibility, caribou could be in the mix as well.

I have a thousand choices for a good "moose" gun in bolt action, BUT I would really rather have a lever.

I am thinking of the Marlin 336ER in 356. I already own a Browning BLR in .308
I am concerned that most of the levers are fairly light weight, and recoil may be a limiting factor for me.

What are the thoughts on a good big game lever gun??
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever gun for Moose/Elk

Post by 86er »

I book and guide moose hunts in ME, New Brunswick and Quebec. I've been present for many moose kills and with that insight I think your 356 caliber Marlin rifle is fine with the right bullets. The 308 has been great on moose too, especially with some of the great 200 grain bullets out there. The same rifle could easily be used for elk and caribou under similar conditions - heavy woods, good cover, relatively close shooting. Our caribou hunts take place at End-Of-Road, Canada. In the early season Aug-Oct the shots are normally 150 yds +. When Nov-Dec rolls around there is an abundance of caribou (they stay there so the congregation builds) and the shots are more like 75-125 yds. Again, the 356 or 308 would be great. In the early season you'd pick your range and may have to work harder or pass up some bulls. Later, it would work for just about opportunity. We book elk hunts but I don't guide them too often. Again, in early season and in certain terrain you would be fine. Moreso with elk than moose or caribou you have to be willing to sacrifice some potential shots and take more of a risk of not filling your tag if you choose to use the 356 and maybe the 308 depending on how it is loaded. If you could narrow down your hunting area, method of hunting and motivation, we could be analytical about what the pros and cons of using a 356 or a 308 are for you.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I wouldn’t hesitate to use my 99 in .308 win. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've hunted elk, and almost ran into a moose up in Ontario once... and wouldn't dream of giving you any advice on cartridge or bullet selection. But... I do know that best place to shoot either!

As close to the tailgate of yer p/u as possible! :twisted: :lol: :D :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Your blr in 308 will take all three of those animals just fine and within that cal you can adjust your bullet weight to fit the animal and the distance you might be shooting. danny
Your right Griff, on the uphill side of the road. :mrgreen:
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've owned two 336ERs, just sold one, and I don't think they are the "everything" big game rifle. I like the ER for the novelty of owning it but it just doesn't do it for me. I did shoot a desert mule deer with my rifle, a deer out at 225-yards but that was about as far as I was comfortable shooting the rifle. I'm going elk hunting in a couple of weeks and didn't even consider carrying the rifle. I'm taking my 444 Marlin.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

If a 308 is upto it surely a 30/30 will do it getting a little closer,no?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Find the 165 gr bullet that your blr likes the best and never look back. Unless of course you just want to buy a new rifle......

6x6 bull blr 308 165 gr hornady bt interloc,245 yds.

lil rag horn 5x5 same rifle and load 204 yds.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nath wrote:If a 308 is upto it surely a 30/30 will do it getting a little closer,no?

Nath.
absolutley :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:D First class :D Why go around making lots of noise spoiling the scene hey :D

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Hey Don, I like the front end of that John "Deere" near your "Elk". Is that a 3010, 3020, 4010 or 4020? It could be others but the height makes it look to be one of them.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:) That's the neighbor kid , his elk he shot with his granma's 30-30 and his 4020.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I would not hesitate to use my Mod 71 , .348Winchester for any of the game mentioned.

8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I wouldn't hesitate to use your .308 on any N.A. antlered game - but a new/different rifle, like the very ample .356 Win or the new Marlin .338MX is always nice, too. :P :P

IIRC, a fellow levergunner from Alaska posted some pics of a humongous 65" Alaskan Moose he shot with his .30-30 - just his lastest, in a string of however many Meeses.

I can tell you, I was impressed - with both his accumen, and the demonstration of his rifle's capability.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Ranch Dog wrote:I've owned two 336ERs, just sold one, and I don't think they are the "everything" big game rifle. I like the ER for the novelty of owning it but it just doesn't do it for me. I did shoot a desert mule deer with my rifle, a deer out at 225-yards but that was about as far as I was comfortable shooting the rifle. I'm going elk hunting in a couple of weeks and didn't even consider carrying the rifle. I'm taking my 444 Marlin.
Hmmm...

.444 Marlin better at 225+ yards...?

Only in your sweetest dreams, Pard.

Unless you own a .444 unlike any I have ever encountered.

I echo the sentiments anent the M-71/.348.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I think you would be set with either the 356 or the 308. I'm a big fan of the 348, 356, and 358 guns. I don't have but would like to get a 356, maybe in a 94 Bigbore. If your concerned about recoil I would probably go with the 308 and a 165 to 180gr bullet.
Ricky

DWWC
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks gentlemen.

I too have thought about a .348.

I am set with BLR 308 if it happens I don't buy another gun, BUT knowing me like I do, I am probably going to buy a new rifle, regardless if I take it on hunt (at least 1st one)

I am comfortable and confident in shooting the BLR, that is probably bigger issue than caliber.

But am just checking for opinions. Lots of experience on this site, would be remiss if I didn't tap into it.

Thanks again.
southernutah
Levergunner

Post by southernutah »

if you are looking at a 71 might as well go the 95 in 30-06. I didn't like the 71 I had that well. Go another BLR in a bigger bullet. Everyone has there own good ideas and they will all work. Just put together a 94AE in 444 for backup to my Encore in 300 win mag.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Pete44ru; I can't believe the search worked but I found the link to the Hunter from Alaska.last Year about this time He posted pic's and a story of His 21'st moose killed. The pic's wont work but the story is still there. I have His '07&08 Moose hunt pic's on the beer fridge in the garage.quite a testement to the 30-30.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ilit=moose
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

southernutah wrote:if you are looking at a 71 might as well go the 95 in 30-06. I didn't like the 71 I had that well. Go another BLR in a bigger bullet. Everyone has there own good ideas and they will all work. Just put together a 94AE in 444 for backup to my Encore in 300 win mag.
"Different strokes," I reckon...

Never did get used to the '95 myself, but maybe could if that's all I had to hunt with.

'86s & 71s just work a bunch better for this old hand. (and their guts don't threaten to fall out every time you crank the go-lever on 'em...)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I am an avid Model 71 guy and also recommend it, but with the following caveats:
- Buy one that is not a collctor gun. It will be much less expensive but will still hold its value.
- Consider one that was drilled for a scope (Reduces value significantly) and possibly one with a recoil pad (Add another reduction in price). (Realistic price for drilled and padded, around $1000)
- Consider using a custom scope mount that allows you to install the scope in "Scout" configuration, that is, forward of bolt and centered over the barrel.
moosemike
Levergunner

Post by moosemike »

Go with the Marlin 338MX. I'll be trying for my third moose this year in Vermont and the 30-30 will probably see some action. I've already taken one bull with it.
"Said I didn't have a use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it"