Trapper Upgrade

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Trapper Upgrade

Post by JimT »

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trapper Upgrade

Post by JReed »

Cool. What sort of scope is she wearing?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Did you remove the bluing, or has it just rubbed off already? Did it take long to get used to 'seeing' through the scout scope setup? Sorry for the ignorant question, but I've never even looked through one. Nothing like a free rifle to tinker with. Thanks
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The scope is an NcStar 2x - 7x Long eye relief with multi coated lenses - variable power magnification - illuminated reticle. Includes one inch aluminum weaver style rings and lens caps.
(on their site it's NcStar PISTOLERO 2-7X32E PISTOL SCOPE PLEX RETICLE SEPB2732B)

The receiver of the rifle is "case colored" and does not show in the photos very well .. bluing is not worn off - yet :D

The Scout scope setup is the fastest to "learn" for those of us who did not grow up on scopes. You keep both eyes open, looking at the target, bring the rifle up and the crosshairs seem to align themselves on the target. I shoot with both eyes open all the time... normally keep the scope on 2X.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I thought that was the Trapper you got because it was gritty after your friend had it reblued, and you had to clean the bluing salts out of it. Sorry about that. It looked like case colors, but I thought it was the reblued one. Oh well.

Maybe I'll have to try a scout setup. My 44-year-old eyes are starting to act their age.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have one of their fixed 4 powers on 308 H&R good scopes for the money.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Which scout mount did you use and where did you get it? It looks like a Burris to me and they don't make them any more. I'd love to get my hands on one for my post 64 model 94.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Brian in FL wrote:Which scout mount did you use and where did you get it? It looks like a Burris to me and they don't make them any more. I'd love to get my hands on one for my post 64 model 94.
I am not sure what it is. I had Nonneman do it and he got the mount and set it up. I know that whatever he got is still in production because it was just a couple days ago.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

edwardyoung wrote:I thought that was the Trapper you got because it was gritty after your friend had it reblued, and you had to clean the bluing salts out of it. Sorry about that. It looked like case colors, but I thought it was the reblued one. Oh well.

Maybe I'll have to try a scout setup. My 44-year-old eyes are starting to act their age.
No .. you were correct .. this is the gun that was "reblued" .. but it did not take on the receiver .. made it "mottled" looking .. it never did turn "blue" like the barrel etc. I am the one who described it wrong .. it's not actually 'case colored' .. but looks that way.

Sorry for the mixup ...
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Put the same scope on my 30-30 Win scout mount. Haven't sighted it in yet. Did you have to shim the scope any or did have enough adjustment?
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

I just e-mailed Nonneman to find out the info on the scout scope mount.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

BenT wrote:Put the same scope on my 30-30 Win scout mount. Haven't sighted it in yet. Did you have to shim the scope any or did have enough adjustment?
I have not shot it since I got it from Nonneman so I will have to get back to you on that. (He did it last week .. I just got it today)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, it is darn cool even if the handle is too far forward to balance the load correctly... :wink: :mrgreen:

I know my day is coming when the iron and open sighted guns go to pasture and scopes are used all the time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

BenT wrote:Put the same scope on my 30-30 Win scout mount. Haven't sighted it in yet. Did you have to shim the scope any or did have enough adjustment?

Ben - I sighted the Trapper in today .. plenty of adjustment both ways ... no need to shim. The first shot at 25 yards was 6" high and maybe 1" left so the bore-sight was pretty close. No problem getting it dialed in.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very nice set up Jim.

It would be nice to know who's mount that is. I'm 55 and can still use the irons, but that day is coming, I'm sure (I hope!).

Just two nights ago I was looking at the NcStar scopes for just this purpose. If we're lucky, getting old happens to all of us.

Cat