What is the most unusual cartridge you shoot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

What is the most unusual cartridge you shoot?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 posted a great (and popular) topic on one's favorite cartridge for leverguns (http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20336). Here's a derivation on the theme:

(1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot?
(2) Why does it qualify for that designation?
(3) How does it perform?
(4) What does it cost per round on average?

This doesn't have to be your favorite cartridge - Mike covered that. More so, what is the odd-duck that you've come to love? :D

Mine?

(1) .45-120 Sharps
(2) Hasn't been commercially loaded in almost forever!
(3) Has an arc like an artillery piece, but a ton of fun to shoot.
(4) About $5 a round purchased and less than half of that reloaded.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is the most unusual cartridge you shoot?

Post by Kansas Ed »

I think everyone knows mine already..either the 40-72 or the 38-72. Both were Winchester chambered only, and both were dropped from the lineup in 1908. I'm guessing that ammo was dropped in the '30's. I've only seen ammo boxes for either that were two piece brown cardboard. And then there's the .35 Winchester, but it made the transition to European double rifles, and was loaded in the newer slip boxes.

Cost for either is about $2 per piece of brass (new Bertram) and about 10 cents a cast bullet. Figure powder and primer and you're approaching $3 a shot.

The 38-72 kills deer just fine, now I'll find out on the 40-72 this year. Oh yea, the .35WCF kills deer just fine too, and makes a bloody mess of coyotes.

Ed
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

45-70 AND 444 both paper patched
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The .358 Winchester!

Though cataloged constantly by Browning since the 1970's, the caliber was and still is a rare find. Thank goodness they are slowly becoming more common. Iver a 20 to 25 years, very few if any rifles chambered in .358 Win were made.

Furthermore there is only one factory load available for the .358 Win, Winchester's 200 grain Silvertip load. Since I've not bought factory ammo in over a dozen years, I've no idea what factory ammo cost.

The .358 Winchester is my favorite medium bore cartridge. it offers outstanding accuracy, and adequate power to take anything in North America (with the posssible exception of the bog bears). Brass is plentiful and cheap, unless you insist on a .358 Win headstamp rather than ,308 Win headstamps. There are lots of great bullet designs raning from 189 to 275 grins, and you can even load .357 pistol bullets for plinking, small game or varmints. And a wide range of powders will produce not just good velocities but gilt-edged accuracy.

While it is not a beanfield rifle cartridge, it is a perfectly adequate if not a superior choice for all Lower 48 hunting situations. i really don't understand why the .358 Winchester is not wildly popular with hunter.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

25-35 Win.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

40-65 wcf / .40 Marlin
It's not too unusual, but it is MY most unusual
Performs about like a 44 mag out of a trapper; Major Ned Roberts wrote that it has the best killing power of any levergun cartridge.
$0.60/shot PMC factory, about $0.35 reloaded.
Chad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.40-90 Sharps Bottleneck or SBN...

Can't buy loaded ammo. It can be made from .45 Basic by trimming unformed brass to 2-5/8" and forming a bottle neck to .40 caliber. When it was loaded by Sharps, it came in 330 grain and 370 paper patched versions, and had the flatest trajectory of any buffalo cartridge in it's day. I have molds in 330 grains, 350 grains, 370 and 400 grains; the 330 & 370 are flat points, the 350 is almost a spire, and the 400 is a long ogive round nose.

Brass is about $2 each from Bertram when they make a run... .45 Basic runs about the same.

(3) How does it perform?
The 350 crosses the screens 10 feet in front of the muzzle @ 1670fps with 85 grains of BP. It only uses a little over an 1 inch of rear sight elevation to go from 100 yards to 500 yards... but beyond that is a flat mystery to me. A year & ½ ago when I shot with Tutt at the Friends of Billy Dixon in CO... I never did figure out a rear sight setting for 1K yards, let alone the 1538yards for the indians!

Which reminds, me... has anyone heard from little doc recently?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Any of the Maynard cartridge's , the 40-60 was a civil war sniper round and still shot today in matches

Image..Image
Image......Image
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

32-40 Winchester and 38-55 Winchester

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

25-35 Win.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

360 Dan Wesson.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

(1) .45-75 Winchester Center Fire
(2) Hadn't been commercially loaded in almost forever!
(3) Mike Venturino said they'd never reproduce the gun for which it was created.
(4) $5+ a round purchased and less than half of that reloaded.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

32 H&R mag. It's fun to shoot and accurate out past 50 yards. I shoot 32 s&w long as light loads in the same Ruger revolver. Cheap to shoot, a pound of powder goes a long way.

As far as levergun cartridges . The 356 Win . It's one of the best levergun packages I have and it knocks deer down. I don't why it wasn't more popular.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

5.7 mm Johnson
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

I would have to say that the .32-20 wcf in my custom martini cadet rifle would be the most unusual and interesting cartridge/rifle combo I own. Starline cases, CCI-Br4 primers, Hornady 100 grain xtp jhp bullets and 12 grains of WW-296 powder produce 1850 ft/sec and is accurate to 200 yards. I have an original Winchester loading tool and bullet mould to complete the outfit. Cast bullets of 115 grains with 9 grains of original 2400 are good close hunting loads and are accurate to 100 yards.

A fun gun to shoot and hunt with, cheap to load, and, with custom stocks, 26" Green Mountain octagon barrel, rust blue job and hand checkering, it ain't hard to look at either.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
Last edited by thornblom on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

470 Nitro Express. Cost of factory ammo was about $15.00 per round, until Hornady came out with it in their Dangerous Game series. The Hornady stuff is a good deal cheaper.

With my home made cast bullets I can load a box of 20 for about $7.00. That's all my rifle has ever shot. Until I get lined out for a trip to Africa, which is prolly never, I doubt I'll buy any jacketed bullets or ammo for it.
NRA Life Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

For me, probably 30-30 Ackley Improved 40degree shoulder. You can't buy loaded ammo that I'm aware of - you must form your own and roll you own but you can shoot standard 30-30 ammo in the chamber and actually get decent accuracy out of the rifles.

Cartridge performs great - shoots accurately and pushes a 150 grian bullet to 2500 fps or more in a 20" carbine for excellent deer medicine and a little extended range for the old 30-30.

Other than that, I'd have to say the older revolver cartridges - 32 S&W, 38 S&W, 38 Colt.

Interesting just how many on the board do shoot "obsolete" cartridges.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

.35 WCF and .33WCF.

No factory loadings that I know of (though there is some custom ammo out there) .
Have not hunted with either rifle yet.
Both are accurate cartridge / rifle combinations.
Finding proper bullets has been the most difficult
part for the .33 WCF
Never really kept track of what they cost to reload.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

9.3 x 74R - mostly a continental round. 3.5 inches OAL, makes a nice sound going into the double rifle. 286 grain bullet generating 3500fpe. flat enough shooting to 200 yards, capable of taking most game on earth, somewhere between a .35 Wheellen and .375 H&H. It and the side by side that shoots it could quickly become my favorite rifle round. About $2.50 to $4.00 a round commercial. I will have to get back to you on reload ammo.

2nd choice would be .475 Linebaugh. A mini 45-70 in a terrific package. 300-440 grain bullets, 1000-1400fps. Capable of incredible penetration and easily carried all day in my custom freedom arms 93 in a cross draw holster. Depending on the ammo,$1- $2.50 on up a round factory, under a dollar, close to 60 cents (once you have the brass) reloaded. That does not count casting the bullets, but buying them at auction. you can also shoot the little cousin to this round, the .480 ruger through a .475 and they made a levergun in this round!!!
Last edited by rjohns94 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

(1) Probably the 38-40...then the 38-55 & 44-40
(2) 38-40 commercially loaded, Seen them for 60 to 70 bucks for box of 50 :shock:
(3) $1.40+ a round purchased, and a lot less that reloaded.

next round will be the 45-60 in a 76
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

mescalero1 wrote:5.7 mm Johnson
How'd I figure you'd have something cool like that? :mrgreen:
rjohns94 wrote:9.3 x 74R - mostly a continental round. 3.5 inches OAL, makes a nice sound going into the double rifle.
Kind of like loading an artillery tube? :lol: The .45-120 is the same way...shoomp-tunk, snap, click, snick, tink, BOOOOOOOOM

The .45-120 for the reasons YK mentioned and I'll have to think on the rest.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Another one for the .32 H&R. It may not be as rare as some of the cartridges you guys shoot but it's the best I got. Other than that, my reloads for 30/30, .357, and 22-250 aren't even close to unusual....LOL.

Loading the .32M with Titegroup for plinking and a healthy dose of Lil'Gun for more power.

The only cartridge I'd like to have that would be considered "unusual" would be the .218 Bee or .25-20 and the .17 fireball. Other than that I'm good.

LK
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot?
40-75-260 Bullard
The rifle is the real unigue part. the cartridge is really the 40-65 Win with a slightly bigger
(.413) diameter bullet. My particular rifle's bore runs .411 so 41 mag bullets work well for most
duties but cast bullets up to 400 grains are very usable. Hornadys 300 grain FP 405 Win bullet is
also a killer.
(3) How does it perform?
For many years the 40-65 was a well respected Elk cartridge although only Deer have fallen
to my rifle. I can tell no difference in killing power between the 40 Bullard and the 45/70
on Deer. Bigger game might be a different story. Bullet velocity runs from about 1800 fps for 180-210
pistol bullets to 1400 for 300 grain cast flat points. I try not to run this old gun to hard. The
Bullard rifle strength wise is roughly par (or above) a Win 1886.
Never figgered it out. Don't care.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

The most unusual cartridge I shoot is the .405 Winchester in my 1895.

Another would be the .348 Winchester but I don't consider that one unusual just old.

8)
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

0.577 Snider
Unusual because it bridged the gap between muzzleloaders and breechloaders. The Snider conversion was used on the British Army Enfield muzzleloading rifles after the Crimean War. Also unusual beause each one of my 3 Sniders needs a different combination of powder, wads, OAL and crimp to shoot well.
Cost? Magtech 24gauge brass shotshells at $20 for 25 are cut down, annealed and run into the sizing die.
Performance? Looks and behaves like a miniature artillery shell, but I wouldn't like to get in the way of one of those big, fat soft lead bullets.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

For a Levergun cartidge, it would be either the 38-72 (Browing 1895) or my 50AK, maybe add the 35win. Working on a 35/338ME and 375/338ME. Have the reamer and barrels, now to just get busy.
For other cartridges, maybe 445supermag, or 50bmg with cast boolits :shock: , or maybe 43mauser or as said before, the 9.3 x 74R. For wildcats, the 30/357max or the 44/284win.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Oh boy, take yer pick.

.32 S&W in a .32 S&W DA circa 1882

.50-70 in a 1872 vintage Roller

.22 BB cap the first (and continuously loaded since 1850 something) cartridge, out of a 1900 ish Stevens favorite .22 SMOOTHBORE.

OR, the rarest of em all, (at least in rifles) Cowboy .45 Special (about 100 leverguns exist that are modified to cycle it, including my two).
Certified gun nut
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

.33 WCF Winchester 1886. It has been in our family since about 1932, I shoot in Lever Action Silhouette.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

The bottlenecked 8mm Nambu for my late father's bring-back Japanese Type 14 pistol. Looks like a 7.63 Mauser or 7.62x25 Tokarev round, but MUCH weaker in the power dept.

It makes the list (IMO) because it's never been readily avalable in this country. Midway once offered brass, BELL also offered brass (IIRC), and Old Western Scrounger offered loaded cartridges for $40-$50 per 50. Back in the 60s and 70s, George Spence from MO used to manufacture 8mm cases from once-fired USGI 38 Spl brass, and offered loaded ammo for about $15-$20 per 50 but those tended to split when fired due to overexpansion ahead of the case head. The 38 Spl case was close, but a tad undersized.

Figuring that I found a box of OWS loads last year at a gun shop for $50 and bought them, my current cost is $1 per round. Since I don't have dies, my replacement cost is "who knows?"

As for performance, it's pretty anemic -- felt recoil is about like a 32 or 380 ACP. Dad said it didn't have a lot of stopping power when he was in combat in the SoPac in WWII, but as usual he would not elaborate. Still, I'd hate to be shot by it.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

.375 JDJ. It is handload-only for my G2 Contender and I can hunt any big game on the continent. I also load for a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. Waaay cool and if I get all squinty-eyed, I look like Quigley. Well, maybe not...
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff, I liked your highlighting, so I stole it...
7.62x39mm Russian (SKS) with a .30-30 Cast bullet -
173 gr. Lyman #311041 Flat Point w/ Gas Check (FP-GC), sized to .311
IMR 4895 23.0 gr (CAUTION - WORK UP TO THIS, ONLY FOR STRONG ACTIONS!!)
Winchester new brass
CCI 200 Lg Rifle Primers
C.O.A.L. 2.143 in. (note where bullet is crimped in photo below)
1704 FPS Est. Muzzle Velocity, 1,116 ft. lbs. ME (not yet chrono'd for my rifle)

1) This is a .30-30 hard cast bullet in a Russian carbine (my bore is in fact .311)
2) Cheap SKS rounds - either cast 'em or purchase .30 cal. commonly cast bullets for SKS!
3) So far, no leading due to hard cast lead and .30-30 velocity
4) You have a rapid firing .30-30 deer and hog rifle in a semi-auto carbine

Exact cost, using calculations of reloading costs BO (Before Obama)
I purchased the cast bullets, so this factors in the cost of purchased lead bullets, shipping, tax, and so on - and the cost of brand new Winchester brass, and my actual cost for powder (in a large lot) with shipping and Hazmat costs figured in on a large order:
$0.586 ea round, $11.72 for 20
Brass used 10 times (if the pressure stands it), cost drops down to:
$0.316 ea round, $5.64 for 20
Much, much cheaper if you cast your own and buy larger lots of powder

(3) How does it perform?
One ragged hole at 10 yards, shows promise for great accuracy at longer ranges; to be tested further and perhaps with small variations in powder load.
Bullets come out hot to the touch as with factory loads, but no apparent signs of pressure
Surprisingly, absolutely no leading (I stripped down the carbine to check)
Unbelievably soft shooting .30-30, as if that would be an issue, anyway!

I cannot claim any credit for this, Junior Doughty's, load. He is no longer at this forum, but is still at http://www.castbullet.com and probably still has his own website. His listed powder, however, was SURPLUS 4895.

I must apologize for the poor exposure of the bullets shown below; I merely snapped a quick offhand flash photo of part of my bullet board and cropped it for this posting.

Left to right:
Standard 7.62x39mm Russian 173 gr. SP (Factory or Handload; I disremember)
7.62x39mm Russian 173 gr. LFNFP GC (Junior's Handload - my "unusual" load)
.30-30 Win. 173 gr. LFNFP GC (Handload, Same boolit as above)
Standard .30-30 Win. 150 gr. R-P SP (Factory)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'm pretty conventionally unconventional, I reckon.

My "unusual" lineup consists of the .475 Linebaugh and the old .22 WRF.

Wish the WRF was reloadable, but it's still a hoot to shoot, and CCI still makes ammo for it, on occasion.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Wll John,

I've often referred to an SKS as being a .30-30 semi-auto.

You've made my semi-jest into the real thing.

I hope you enjoy chasing brass better than I do. :mrgreen:
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Many of the WCFs, excepting the .50 I haven't quite earned the sheckels to grab that one. I NEED about 25K to play with the big boys. :shock:

.25-20, .30, .32-40, .33, .38, .38-56, .40-65, .44, .45-75, .40-82, & .45-90.

Also 7mm, 7-30 Waters, .30-06, .35 Rem, .357, .38-55, & .45-70

I prob'ly forgot a few, but that's OK. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The 450 N.E. 3 1/4" is the only .458 to be specifically designed to perform with a 480 grain bullet. The velocity with a 24" barrel is 2150 fps. At one time this cartridge was THE go-to round for elephant, and other large and dangerous game. It set itself apart as a trend-setter in 1898 when Rigby introduced it. Later, the .45 caliber was banned in India and the manufacturers scrambled to take advantage of this situation to introduce a proprietary caliber. Every one of them, including 460's, 470's and 475's duplicate the 450 N.E. ballistics, although some used 500 grain bullets. The 450 N.E. 3 1/4" can use 500 grain bullets as well, and luckily most double guns will shoot the 500's to the same point of impact as the 480's with the same exact velocity. Another interesting fact, the older 450 BPE (Black Powder Express) was the same sized cartridge case with very similar ballistics. The older case was 11mm and could not handle the new nitro powder. The cases would expand and stick - not a good thing. The solution was to make the 450 N.E. case 17mm so it could handle the charge without the brass expanding. 450 BPE will work in a 450 NE but NOT the other way around. Recently, PH Ivan Carter has used a 450 N.E. 3 1/4" exclusively to shoot and or back-up nearly 100 elephant hunts with outstanding success. Likewise, it has been used more and more frequently by PH's including Mark Sullivan on buffalo, rhino, hippo and other game large or dangerous game with perfect performance. John Taylor wrote "If I could have just two rifles they would be a pair of 450's and if I were allowed another I would make it a trio". Hornady's cost $90 per 20 rounds, Kynoch cost $85 for 5 rounds. They can be reloaded for around $2.20 per round.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

9.3x72R

It's an "obsolete" European cartridge usually seen in Drillings.

(3) How does it perform?

I load it using .38-55 data. 200gr lead bullet over 18gr 2400 for around 1800fps - that or the same bullet over 66gr (case full) 3F... - a "boom" that rolls nicely. Accurate to minute of Hog at 100yds with the "sights" on my drilling.

S&B Loaded Ammo runs about $60/20. New cases run $1 each from Norma. Uses Large Rifle Primers. I had to have custom dies made by C4D, and a custom mold cut by Mountain molds. But once over the Die/Mold/Case hurdle, it's relatively cheap to shoot.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Probably would be my Taurus Model 217 Silhouette model handgun in .218 Bee That thing is very dead accurate.(ammo cost is about 75 cents each for store bought) but handload them cheaper with my own brass.Probably most accurate handgun I have! :)Will shoot .5 inch groups @ 25yds all day long! :)Right now she wears a Leupold 4X scope on her. The 45 gr Hornady @ 2000fps works well for mine!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

30-221 (variant of the .300 Whisper)
It is a .221 Fireball case necked up to .30 caliber.

The .300 Whisper was originally developed for military use in a silenced sniper rifle.
The 30-221 is strictly a handloading proposition.
No factory ammo is available.
There are a few AR-based rifles and barrels for the TC contender available off the shelf.
I had a Savage M112 bolt gun rebarreled for this cartridge for 100-200 yard target shooting.

(3) How does it perform?

the 30-221 is intended to fire a heavy (up to 250 gr ) bullet at subsonic velocities.
When ussed with a silencer, it is quieter than an air rifle.
Without the silencer, it is about the same loudness as standard velocity .22s fired from a rifle.
It is, however, capable of launching a 125 gr bullet at nearly 2400 fps.
I built my rifle with the intention of firing subsonic velocity cast bullets of 175 to 200 grs.

Cases are salvaged from 5.56 blanks, bullets are cast from range scrap.
Powder, primers, and gas checks run about 7-1/2 cents per round.

Jack
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

.356wcf. it turned the model 94 into a .348wcf. it has the ballistics to do what a 30-06 does out to 200 yards with a decient sized bullet. if hornandy would load it to it's light magnum specifacations, load it with a 180 grain gummy point and a 220 flat point, i think they would have a cartridge that would out perform the .338 marlin and be close on the heels of the .338 federal. AND IN A MODEL 94 PLATFORM, TO BOOT !. wish in one hand, - in the other. :(
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

1) 470 capstick.
2) Other than 'speciality' loaders, there is no factory ammo.
3) 500 grain .475 diameter bullet at 2360fps or a 600 grain .475 bullet at 2200 fps.
4) I bought 500 Bell cases when I got the gun -- they were $.80 a case then. So with a jacketed bullet cost is about $2.10 a shot, with cast 500 leads from a Lee mold its about $1.00 a shot. This is with new cases. Reloads much less.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

7.62x54R

Old, Russian, um...old?

(3) How does it perform?
Just like a .308 Win.

Just like a .308 Win.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Andrew wrote:(3) How does it perform?
Just like a .308 Win.
The 54R is more like a .30-06... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Mine is the wildcat 8mm X .30WCF ( .30-30 necked up to take a .323 cast bullet of 170 gr. ).

Fun to shoot

You can use standard .32 Win dies to reload.

No factory ammo available with proper head stamp.

Very accurate with selected loads.

:D :D :D
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

11.15 X 60

385gr cast .446 sized bullet

75grains of FFg

Brass @ $2.25 ea.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot?
.30-6-100

Why does it qualify for that designation?
.30 cal - 6 grs. smokeless - 100 gr. bullet

How does it perform?
like a .32-20

What does it cost per round on average?

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Mine is the wildcat 8mm X .30WCF ( .30-30 necked up to take a .323 cast bullet of 170 gr. ).

Fun to shoot

You can use standard .32 Win dies to reload.

No factory ammo available with proper head stamp.

Very accurate with selected loads.

:D :D :D
I heard that cartridge is a real barrel eater and accuracy goes to pot at about 1000 rds. :wink:
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Doc Hudson wrote:...I've often referred to an SKS as being a .30-30 semi-auto...I hope you enjoy chasing brass better than I do. :mrgreen:
Yup - the dang Viet Cong era Chinese made rifle spits brass everywhere!
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

45-85 Marlin
This is completely different from the 45-85 WCF(same as the 45-90)
or the 45-85 made for the colt lightning rifles. The 45-85 Marlin is basically the same as the 45-70 with 2 differences. It has 5 more
grains gunpowder & the bullet is 5 garins lighter. You can shoot
45-70 all day in a 45-85 Marlin(I have a 1895 Marlin deluxe chambered for the 45-85 Marlin. Most collectors have never heard
of it!
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

7.62x25 originaly 30 Mauser but 20% hotter an unreal pistol round 86 gr at 1670 fps or using 73 gr 32acp bullets get over 2000fps cheap mild corrosive ammo is easy to find < 3 cents per round fun fun fun. pistol cost me 120$ with 2 mags leather cleaning rod like new. the cz 52 pistol action is based on the german mg 42 machine gun. not a levergun but unusual.
creosote
Levergunner

Post by creosote »

A .41 Swiss Vertelli converted to centerfire. I use cut down .348 cases and
cast .429 swc bullets.with a full case of fffg the thirteen shot bolt gun is a fine shooter though quite heavy for such a small cartridge.
its fairly cheap in that no special dies are needed,just a .44mag sizing die.
creosote