Rather OT: Goats as edible lawn mowers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Rather OT: Goats as edible lawn mowers?

Post by John in MS »

Hi, folks,
We live on 3/4 acre of lush grass that, due to slope, knee injury, etc. is getting much harder to mow. My wife had the idea that if we got a goat, it could keep the grass trimmed during the growing season (would be tethered in different areas periodically as needed). Then, at the end of our rather long growing season -- Bar-B-Q! :D

Questions, for those of you who are familiar with such critters -- any info or suggestions would be helpful. Would be curious to hear if this seems workable or not.

1. Would the goat do much damage to the lawn, whether by eating grass too close to the ground or otherwise? (Grass is zoysia.) I realize I'd need to keep it away from anything I didn't want eaten. One side of our yard is threatened by kudzoo -- incredibly fast-growing vines that quickly overtake everything in their path. Goat'd have lots to keep it busy over there!!

2. Would 3/4 acre be enough to sustain a goat for a spring/summer, and would other feed be needed in addition to grass?

3. I presume a female goat would be the better choice, and would assume that starting with a fairly young one would be reasonable? Or would you want a grown one in this situation?

4. Any tips on buying goats? Where to find them, what to look for, any particular type?
Roughly what do they cost?

Thanks very much,

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Hobie

Re: Rather OT: Goats as edible lawn mowers?

Post by Hobie »

I suppose that you should do some on-line research...

Female goat, young (to be tender later), and I think they are pretty clever sometimes. Use a chain, not a rope to tether her. You might have to augment the chow a bit and have a watering system. I was thinking sheep. I think of goats as browsers and sheep as grazers but maybe I'm really never seeing either as anything but dinner. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

As a teenager in Florida years ago I spent some months circling a 5 acre plot with a woven wire fence. Father bought a number of goats , male and female
and released them on the plot. Vines,weeds and brush were eaten out at a remarkable rate. Grass lastly was eaten down like it had been mowed. Not being a fan of goat meat Dad had no trouble selling to those so inclined. Goats to my way of thinking are the meanest critters (to each other) of any I've seen. A goat at a pile of oats will leave his pile to go butt another goat off its pile. A goat will go clear across a yard to butt another for no apparent reason. They are eating machines.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I could ask Miss Donna,
might take a couple days to get back to you.
Do you want me to follow through?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Phew, what is that smell?

Oh, that's right, you said goats, not sheep! :wink:
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

The billies smell, not so much the nannies.

Just don't have any bushes in the yard you want to keep (e.g. lilacs, they love 'em). They are also fond of hopping up on the hood of your car.

By the time fall rolls around, you will be so irritated at them you will enjoy pulling the trigger. :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:lol:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't know how hard this would be, but if you keep the goat alive and milk her, you could probably make some money off of it. Goat milk goes for big bucks from the organic crowd.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

For your intended purpose, I don't think a goat would be ideal. You would have to provide shade and shelter, which would mean a lot of moving and constant attention. A supplement food would be needed also. If you yard is not fenced, you stand to have problems from local dogs and coyotes if they are in your area.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They won't damage turf - it will just look 'mowed'.

Shelter needs are minimal - for a single goat or two just the equivalent of a very large dog house.

I'd not recommend just one; they are like horses and like companionship.

We have about an acre of wooded/grassy area and it supports a dozen goats easily; we supplement with alfalfa hay and/or grain since we often milk and show them and want them looking their best.

I wouldn't try to 'tether' one other than for brief periods while you're around; wild dogs could attack it. Steer panels or high-tensile fence are good for keeping them in.

Selling milk can be fraught with legal hassles and regulations nowdays; we quit doing it. A goat makes about enough for one family though, so you can use it yourself. It takes just a few minutes to milk one out (maybe 120 pulls on each teat), and you only need to pasteurize if your goat is unhealthy or you intend to store the milk for long periods. The milk will taste better than store-bought goat milk if you chill it as soon as you milk the animal, and if you don't keep bucks around.

Goats are like deer and don't have upper incisors, but they do 'nibble' on everything. They are 'browsers' rather than 'grazers' which is why they don't destroy the ground.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

We have a good number of these guys and they jump over our 4' fence with greatest of ease but, they do just nibble and don't eat much.

So, I do have to mow the lawn - but, it's not big and most of our yard is "rustic" and those guys do dress up our yard and are company for this guy -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Lot's of folks turn goats out in scrap yards and places like that... ruminates do a wonderful job...some even "edge"
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

John - if you don't want to fool with milking a goat 1-2 times daily (and who would), I would highly recommend to try and find a couple of just weaned wethers (neutered bucks) around 90 days old. Two because as was stated above, goats are social critters and prefer company. Your 3/4 acres will sufficiently feed the little guys, but I'll bet you'll find yourself supplementing feeding just for fun. If you choose to sell them later, the market for goat meat is best at 8-10 month old wethers at 50-75 pounds. Should bring somewhere around $1.25 - 1.45 per live weight pound, maybe more, in late winter/early spring. No smell issues to worry the old ladies in the neighborhood with neutered bucks. Another plus.

You can get by with a couple of 16' cattle panels with t-post supports as a pen, and if you're creative you'll learn how to move them around with ease. Do need some shelter as goats don't like to get rained on, and for best results they will need shade and fresh water supply. They will keep your lawn mowed and would make a good dent in the kudzu in a summer if you decided to let them have access to it.

To track some down, look for ads at the local farmers co-op or try Craigs List on line, the local Dandy Dime (or whatever denomination) publication, livestock section of newspaper classifieds or check on line for "goat breeders in MS". Lots of meat goat breeders in that state. If you decide to get a couple make sure the seller has dewormed them for internal parasites before bringing them on your place. In the SE US, goats are susceptable to an internal parasite called the barberpole worm. It's microscopic, harmless to people and other animals but sheep, and if not stopped can cause severe anemia and ultimate death in a goat herd.

Don't be shy, try it and you may be very pleasantly surprised how effective these little guys will be in keeping your yard mowed. Hope this helps. PM me if you want to call and visit about the info in this recommendation post.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Hi, folks,
WOW! Thanks very much for the great info!! I shared with the wife, and it looks like
we're likely to be tracking down a couple of goats before long. Glad to hear it is "doable."
Luckily we don't have problems with stray/local dogs and we can put them in a fenced-in yard when needed. Coyotes are rare here, but not totally un-heard-of.

Thanks again! It is always amazing how much the folks here at Leverguns know about
any given topic, and are always willing to help out. I sure appreciate it!

john
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've been wanting to the same thing(for about 3 years!). But I have some questions to add....

Will sheep and goats cross cattle grates in drives and entryways?

My property (4 acres) is fenced about 90% with only about 100 feet left to do in the front. This includes our driveway.

With the amount of land, grass and weeds I have I'm looking at about 4 young goats and 4-6 lambs for next sping.

Advantages/disadvantages of sheep vs goats? Besides their eating habits. Are goats as bad to fence as some people say?

LK
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

L_Kilkenny - Not partial at all to sheep. But to be honest, I've never fooled with them so I'm no expert.

Most goat folks expect to run 5-7 momma does and kids per acre. They are pretty easy on the land and if rotated among paddocks of 1/2 -1 acre every couple of weeks or so, internal parasite issues are mitigated.

Not much in the way of problem eating habits with goats. They are natural browsers and prefer to eat head high or higher. That's really not a problem, as long as they are fenced away from your landscaping, since they have to eat something and will not turn down grazing any grass/weeds/brush available. Fencing for goats is a problem if you depend on 3 to 5 strand barb wire. I highly recommend 4"x4" woven wire (sheep and goat fencing). Though not inexpensive, it is highly effective if attached to t-posts at no more than 6'-8' spacing. 16' heavy guage welded wire panels, what we call "cattle panels", are a good substitute for pens and other uses of separation. These are highly portable and easily erected and dismantled as needed. Some raisers depend on electric fencing and report good results, but that a whole 'nother subject.

Oh and yes, I think goats might cross your cattle grates (guards) quite handily. About the only thing they will not cross, if they can possibly avoid it, is deep or running water! They don't like to get their feet wet, ...go figure!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

Cabrito is good eatin'. Just don't give them names.
Happy Trails!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

roundup wrote:Cabrito is good eatin'. Just don't give them names.

True statement on both counts!! Difficult to eat or sell a family pet.

If you have a big mess of them, however, it leads to having some definite favorites, ...and others that you'll pull the plug on at the very first opportunity! :lol:
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

I have a friend who’s a painter and had a goat given to him by an owner anxious to get rid of him… His name was “Buck”. Buck had a taste for eating everything you didn’t want him to eat and ignored all of the things you’d expect he’d have enjoyed.

Buck had a “thing” for Benson & Hedges cigarette butts – but wouldn’t give a second sniff to a Marlboro Menthol Butt…

One time Buck ate a gallon of Habernero Salsa and looked “Chinese” (and had “snot” flowing out of his eyes for almost 2 days) – but he was still happy none-the-less. The worst disaster was when Buck drank 5 quarts of old motor oil from my friend’s truck – that messed up his bathroom habits for 3 or 4 days - but no other ill effects were evident.

If you decide to “get a goat” – you best have a real sense of humor and are slow to anger. Goats are strange sorts of creatures. That said, my friend (and I) both shed some tears (and held an Irish wake) for Buck when he finally died. My friend had rescued Buck from a 10-foot chain and gave him a couple acres to roam on and a junk car that he loved standing on top of.

Silly as it sounds – I won’t ever forget Buck. He’d head-butt at the dogs but was always friendly to me and his rescuer..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Back about the time my second child was born, my wife and I decided to get a pair of goats to do just what you suggest, mow the grasssy field out behind the house. So we bought a pair of pygmy nubian nannies and a apair of cable screw in the ground tethers, and one rubber water bowl. I'd stake the tethers out each morning so that the water bowl was exactly in the middle of where the goats could reach if they walked towards each other. By each evening they would each mow a nice pretty circle in the grass. When I put them away each night, I would do so by pouring a pound or so of grain in a feed bowl, unhooking the tethers and they would follow me back to the barn where I would place the grain bowl on the ground.
Back then I had a real gentle choc lab, and the goats loved me but head butted the dog unmerciliosly. When I took all 3 of them for walks, the goats would run ahead 30 yards, turn around and run back to me for as long as I cared to walk. They loved those walks. Goat poop is one of the few poops that can be applied immediately on things as it won't burn lawns, veggies, etc. Katie and Molly, thats what we called them. After a while a guy I know with chemical sensitivities begged me to sell them to him as he couldn't drink regular milk. The wife and I miss them, they had a lot of personalities.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nubian goats are sort of obsessive compulsive - if you dare to try to milk or feed them out of order, they sort of panic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "