Seeking advice on putting a "matte" finish on stainless guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Seeking advice on putting a "matte" finish on stainless guns

Post by AJMD429 »

With my recent 1894 CSS purchase, I've decided I finally need to deal with learning how to refinish a 'stainless' gun. In other words, I want to see if it is possible to do a 'matte' finish of some kind without handing my gun over to a local gunsmith for six months and paying half the cost of a new gun only to find out the job was seriously "Bubba'd" ( :? can you tell I've been burned a couple times...?).

I've seen small sand/bead blasting cabinets for sale, but I've also heard that with stainless, it isn't that hard to burnish the surface with fine grit paper, valve-grinding compound, or even a 'Scotch-brite' pad. Anyone ever redo a stainless gun on their own? I really do hate handing over guns to local 'smiths who can't even put on a scope base without it being misaligned, and I don't want to sent it out long distance and be without it for weeks.

Besides - I'm one of those guys who likes to do (and sometimes screw up) things himself... :? 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Seeking advice on putting a "matte" finish on stainless guns

Post by J Miller »

Myself, no I've not done that to a stainless gun. Never owned one actually.

However over on The Ruger Forum they talk about this a lot. Most of them use the Scotch Brite pads, or the various grits sanding pads you get at paint stores.

Some of their jobs rival the custom guys. Obviously a lot less expensive.

And yes I can tell you've been singed by bubbas that call themselves gunsmiths. I have too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The bead-blasted SBH I bought from CEB is absolutely beautiful....for something I wanted to kill the shine on, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the bucks for it....Remember the DeLorians? You cleaned the stainless panels on it with a scotchbrite pad :lol: Looked good, too, but it's still the color of stainless and kind of bright.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cheap way, Flap Wheel with Shaft these are made of a combination of cloth flaps or abrasive paper flaps and high performance A/O non-woven material. (goes right on the drill)Works Good. Good Luck!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You can get a cheapo bead blast cabinet from Harbor Freight for about a hundred bucks. I've got a stainless Taurus 357 that I've been thinking of blasting in mine. Those cabinets come in handy, not a bad thing to have in the shop anyway.
NRA Life Member
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

don't know just how unshiny you want.

check this thread out.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... hread=1293

just enough to break the glare.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my rossi I think was bead blasted. looks great to me. I have done this to SBH, SRH, and a colt .38 in the past, all with great results using a cheap cabinet.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I put new stainless barrels on bolt action rifles part time. When a customer wants a finish similar to the factory finishes I have to bead blast them (glass bead) but for anyone who really wants a finish that won't shine or glare (hunting rifle) I use sand and get a little more aggressive. Win 92
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wasn't looking for the mat finish you're talking about, but I did polish a Speed Six one time. It came out looking like a nickled piece. I'd thing bead blasting would be thte only way to go to get things uniform all over.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

http://www.longhunt.com/firearms/ruger-nv.shtml

I have a pair of NRV done by this gent. Excellent! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I bought a new sand/bead blaster a year ago, you are welcome to my old one if you want it.
Mack
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I would put a fire wire wheel on the grinder and put a "brushed' finish on the steel. It is non-reflective, but have a velvet look about it. I don't like the rougher bead blasted look.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Charles uses the same method I recomend. Works well, is fast and easy to do, and very easy to touch up.

Cat
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

This is not exactly an answer to your question but have you considered DuraCoat for a blackened finish? I have components to make a double rifle from NEW parts, but they are stainless and therefore won't take traditional bluing or blackening. I have researched a number of finishes and determined that DuraCoat is a nice black tone, weather resistant, tough, can be touched up easily or re-finished and fairly easy and inexpensive to apply. It is a two part process. If you consider putting a black matte finish on your stainless gun, this may be a good option for you.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Thats what I used for my Ithaca deerslayer.(HK BLUE/GRAY) its Exactly as Joe says!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hmmm...

1. What's a "fire wheel" - I do have a bench grinder...?

2. How difficult is bead blasting and if the item is a long part, do the cabinets have openings in the ends to pass it through or do you have to have a cabinet as big as your biggest gun part...?

Appearance-wise, I'm mostly after a more subdued look - kind of like the difference in a new, shiny brass-framed gun, vs. one with a normal patina of age.

Perfection-wise, at least at this point, I realize whatever I do may look silly, but so do I, and at least that way people will know my guns and I belong together... I wouldn't dare refinish a mint-condition Ruger No.1, or an antique with collector value, but my 'shooters' get dinged, scratched, and scuffed anyway, so little I can do wrong worries me.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:Hmmm...

1. What's a "fire wheel" - I do have a bench grinder...?
I believe that he meant that to read "fine wire wheel", as in not course wire.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doc,Here is what the Duracoat in SS looks like on an example of a Ruger 10/22 http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/DuraCoat/d ... s_1022.jpg

Dulls it up/no sanding etc.just spray er on and now you have this hardcore protective finish with touchup left over if ever needed!
86er was right on the money with this idea!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks really nice on that Ruger. I wouldn't mind doing that with an aluminum or blued-but-needs-refinished gun, but hopefully starting with stainless I can just do some sort of blasting, buffing or 'firewheeling' (?).

msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

There is nothing that you can screw up with sand that you can't fix with glass beads, if they are the same size. I am sure your marlin has a bead finish.