OT - Wolves and Elk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

OT - Wolves and Elk

Post by jkbrea »

Some other threads talked about the wolf problems in the Rockies, (I'd gladly trade our predators in CA. for wolves. :wink: ) A friend I hunt with in Wyoming sent this site to me. It has very graphic photos so careful who you show it to. I don't live there, (yet), but I've seen first hand the major reduction in elk and moose. Last year I didn't even hear any bugling in our regular 2 week hunt where usually they keep you up all night. Also, no moose, where the usual calf count was 90+, it went to 4 according to a G&F warden. All because of those non-native wolves.

http://www.saveelk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Wolves and Elk

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty sad....
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Time for the 3 S's.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

J Miller wrote:Time for the 3 S's.

Joe

Agreed! :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

NVGs and Suppressors.... :? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Wisconsin reintroduced Elk in north part in the mid 90's. The DNR was very happy as the herd reached over 300. Then a few years ago the wolves found they were mighty tastey. Now the herd is down to around 100 head and the wolve packs have grown. That has to be an interesting DNR meeting betwwen the guy who is pro wolves and the one who is pro elk.

Also in August you can start training dogs for running bear. Every week now it's been reported that at least 2 bear dogs a week are killed by wolves. But the problem is I talked to a gal who told me she reported seeing a wolve come into her yard and snag her weiner dog. He was no bear dog and that's not how they are reporting it. They make in sound like these dogs are intruding in to wolf territory instead of wolves coming into are yards.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Fact is: Wolves eat! Every time they have the opportunity, 52 weeks a year, with no time off and no vacations...

AND -- as so succinctly brought out -- they do NOT just kill to eat. They KILL...!!! Eating becomes sort of a coincidental by-product for a pack of wolves...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

A pack of wolves is no different than a pack of the neighborhood dogs, they chase maim kill sometimes eat sometimes not its the chase thats important and stock thats in a fence and slower than game is easy to catch, the rule of easy is involved. The rule of lead & copper solves both problems. danny