OT--Colt Bisley 38-40 Flat Top Target

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT--Colt Bisley 38-40 Flat Top Target

Post by Sixgun »

Guys, I don't know yet, but I GOTTA find a way to come up with some semi-serious money. This Colt Bisley Flat Top Target in 38-40 just came in from an estate. (another one from the woodwork :D ). The call came in last night and I drove the 5 miles to the gunshop in 3 seconds. I even brought a box of ammo and fired 18 rounds in Tom's indoor range.

First time in my life I ever had one of these rare babies in my hand. Only 976 Bisley Targets were made and only 98 in 38-40. This particular one has very little to none original (protected areas only) finish but the mechanics are excellent. Shoots good and has excellent lock-up. 100% original including the numbered grips. (missing the flat sight blade--easy find) --all made in 1907.

Its mine if I want it. Tom will give me several weeks to think about it. Watch the classified in the next few days--some goodies are gonna go.------------Sixgun

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT--Colt Bisley 38-40 Flat Top Target

Post by Kansas Ed »

Sixgun wrote:Guys, I don't know yet, but I GOTTA find a way to come up with some semi-serious money. ... I drove the 5 miles to the gunshop in 3 seconds.
I suggest you sell the F-18 first. That baby has to be eating all of your financial resources.. :lol:

Ed
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sweet!

That's a keeper!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Kansas Ed wrote:
I suggest you sell the F-18 first. That baby has to be eating all of your financial resources.. :lol:

Ed

Ed, I sold the F-18 a few years back. Too hard to land in "suburbia". Picked up a nice Apache--still has the 20mm chain guns :D

Ha, did you ever notice, the older you get and the more guns you accumulate, it really takes something special to "bite" you. This Colt has bit me bad, as would a 50 Express 1886.--I NEED it. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I totally understand the "need" part, brother.
Old Law Dawg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

so, trying not to be rude here, just how much dinero,wampum,sheckels
are we talking here? ball park of course, new car? addition to house? third wife? :lol:

and if one were to acquire such a piece would he leave the finish alone as a collector?
or refinish some or all of it?

oh yeah, can i have it? :lol:

nice catch, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That would be a real nice addition to anyones gun collection!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

pokey wrote:so, trying not to be rude here, just how much dinero,wampum,sheckels
are we talking here? ball park of course, new car? addition to house? third wife? :lol:

and if one were to acquire such a piece would he leave the finish alone as a collector?
or refinish some or all of it?

oh yeah, can i have it? :lol:

nice catch, pokey
Pokey,
Yea, come take it! --malon labe--- :D Its very very hard to price a gun like this. The Blue Book don't mean a whole lot on rare guns, although it does give a close approximate. Its because when someone has a rare gun to sell, he looks at it as "How many are out there?" or "The ones that are out there, are they for sale?" "How good is the economy at present?" or "Go Find One" :D , which is my favorite. Sometimes money is irrelevent. (To a rich guy :D )

The book has it at around $5-6000 but I have seen regular plain jane Colt SA's sell for almost that much. :o We will research it as best we can, and then figure out that we are long term buddies, and in the end, flip a coin. Will probably come up with something in that vicinity.-----------Sixgun

Oh, the finish! It would be a sin to do more than just shoot it and keep it mechanically right.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Wow! Gotta find a way to make that deal happen. ALMOST can't go wrong with that one. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very sweet. very nice. Colt bisley is on my need to have list. I would do what I had to do to get that one.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Oh, the finish! It would be a sin to do more than just shoot it and keep it mechanically right.
Darn straight Sixgun. We're pulling for you, and will live vicariously through you if you get this baby. Good luck brother!!! :D
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

That's a beauty Sixgun, I'm sure the entire Leverguns cheering section will be behind ya on this one. (although some of us are jealous!) :wink:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Your not going to be sleeping at night till you sort this out.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I GOTTA find a way to come up with some semi-serious money.]

THAT is exactly why the Good Lord invented plastic !

GET THAT PUPPY ! !- Worry about paying it off later. Life's too short.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pete44ru wrote:
THAT is exactly why the Good Lord invented plastic !

Plastic?
Never used it in my life. :D While I am a disiplined person when it comes to money, my wife is the worst there has ever been. I figure if I get plastic, she will too and then drastic things will happen in the Sixgun homestead. So far that thinking has worked for 37 years.

Guys,
Well, its been two days since fondling the Colt and so far I have slept a good 8 hours a night. Ha! Not much ever did keep me from sleeping. :D I shot a decent match today and now I'm headed down to Toms for a period of negotiating.

I know the first thing he is going to say to me. He will say, "How much money you have in your pocket?" I will say, "Oh buddy, 'bout $600." He will reply, "You are in a weak position for negotiating"------------------Sixgun
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Go get 'em Dude!!

$600 is about all that old worn out junker is worth!! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Whad'ya got that "has to go"? :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike D. wrote:Whad'ya got that "has to go"? :)
Mike, I don't think you would interested in some of my possible "sale items". Its stuff that does not interest me. A Ruger 32 mag with 9 and 1/2" barrel. ($500) An early Hi Standard Model "A" that is like new (made in 1940) with the original box. ($1,000) A factory engraved Ithaca 12 ga. double made in 1918 that is 95% ($1,800)and possibly an octagon barreled Marlin 1893 "Blackpowder" in 32-40 that is 95%. That one has an original Lyman #1 tang sight. ($2,000)

I'm just a little on the lazy side as to taking pictures and posting etc. I'm gonna wait until the "negotiating" is over with. -----------Sixgun
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

I just checked my books and you are right, there were only 98 Bisley targets made in 38-40. What a fantastic old revolver, I would love to own it.

By the way, what is the SN? I hope you are aware that any Colts made before 1900 should only be fired with Black Powder. Colt did not factory warranty the SAA for Smokeless powder until 1900. All earlier guns should only be fired with BP.

Go for the gusto and grab that puppy.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Just give the man the money. With Obamacare right around the corner, your not going to be able to live a long life.
Then all those marvelous firearms will be MINE!!!!! :mrgreen:
Hale OBAMA!!! :lol: :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Sixgun jr wrote:Just give the man the money. With Obamacare right around the corner, your not going to be able to live a long life.
Then all those marvelous firearms will be MINE!!!!! :mrgreen:
Hale OBAMA!!! :lol: :lol:
Boys,
Look at the monster I have created. I have a surprise for this fine young man. I am going to leave him a Mossberg .22 bolt action. The rest are going to the "United Negro College Fund" :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

When pigs fly!!!!!!!!!!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Just go for it, would love to have had the opportunity myself, buy now worry later, I do it all the time. Just have to keep working for a living is all. Should have been retired a few years ago, but my appetite for fine guns just keeps me working longer. Thats my vice.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET