Look Mom! Best Offhand Group!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Look Mom! Best Offhand Group!

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, so it's only from 50 feet, but it's my weekly offhand practice at the indoor range. Ten shots, one flyer.
Group01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Look Mom! Best Offhand Group!

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Nice shoot'n!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet!

Don't you hate the "one flyer"? It so often occurs that I'm tempted to deliberately let one loose each string just to get it over with! :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

........but you didn't say if it was a rifle, handgun, iron sights or scope? :wink: I shoot a lot of indoor rimfire also. "Aim small, shoot small" is good silhouette practice.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

mighty fine!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Don't worry about the flier. Seldom have I bought a box of shells that did not contain at least one round like that. Even careful handloading can't prevent an occasional flier round from sneaking through.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

TO HECK WITH THE FLIER. LOOK VERY CLOSELY AT YOUR GROUP AS IT IS TELLING YOU VERY CLEARLY TWO OTHER THINGS. SEE 'EM ?? OH NOOOOOO....I AIN'TGONNATELL YOU....SEE 'EM.....??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

WHAT Terry, WHAT! Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

Nice shooting El Chivo!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very Good shooting there!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Well, horizontal stringing is many times a breathing issue and sometimes are caused by a bit of canting of the rifle, not uniform from shot to shot.issue.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

COSteve wrote:Well, horizontal stringing is many times a breathing issue and sometimes are caused by a bit of canting of the rifle, not uniform from shot to shot.issue.
THERE ARE TWO DISTINCTLY SEPERATE GROUPS. ONE IS ABOVE THE OTHER. THIS IS CAUSED BY HAVING TWO DIFFERENT LET-OFFS ON THE TRIGGER, ONE HIGH, ONE LOW.
THE HORIZONTAL SPREAD HAS BEEN COVERED BY STEVE AND YOU CAN PROBABLY ADD PUSH AND/OR PULL LEFT/RIGHT ON THE TRIGGER. FINGER POSITION ON THE TRIGGER CAN ALSO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I can't tell the sequence of shots, but I don't think the two sub-groups necessarily went together chronologically. I could well have alternated shots between the two strings.

I had already fired 20 shots, and was getting tired. Marlin 39 and scope. What I was doing was, when the rifle weaves out, weave back in, and try to time the trigger pull for when the target is centered (or about to be centered). In other words, when getting tired, there's no way for me to hold the rifle rock steady. It's a matter of timing the trigger pull. I was getting used to the trigger and lucky this time, that's all.

There's also my state of mind, I was very nervous about an upcoming meeting at work! So I was in some sort of a zone, though not a pleasant one. I mention this because my best silhouette rounds have been shot on days when I have had virtually no sleep the night before. Kind of dulls the senses and, in that zone, you can just shoot, and not be all twitchy.

Well, we'll see, but likely never to come again. It was fun, I just had to post it. I'll send it to Mom later.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo, Dude thats fantastic shooting.(offhand)very nice!
With a group that good,no comment but GOOD! :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

El Chi - that is the same theory I used to shoot this group with my K22 as you can see a loooong time ago. I read it in a book I bought on pistol marksmanship when I bought the pistol more than 40 years ago.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...