Wyoming history trivia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Wyoming history trivia

Post by jnyork »

The tiny village of Meeteetse Wyoming, population about 350, lies on the Greybull river which passes through a beatiful little ranch and farming valley south of Cody. It is an old town, dating to the late 1800's and very much showing its age. Nothing much there now except a few small stores and some old houses, with a few exceptions. It is a gateway to some of the best hunting and fishing areas in the state.

On a recent RV trip, my wife and I pulled into a turnout on the north edge of town to water the horses and found this little marker. Upon reading it, I got to thinking about how things must have been during the depression years here in this remote spot, and how elated and full of civic pride the local residents must have been to know that an internationally famous hero of the day would soon be their neighbor. How anguished and full of sadness, then, they must have been to hear of her loss and what that loss must have meant to their community. Just a tiny piece of history almost lost now in the mists of time.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wyoming history trivia

Post by JerryB »

Now that is interesting. Sure is pretty country, we came through there two years ago on the way back to Arkansaw.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Interesting story. Sad in a way for the community, but on the other hand, if it HAD become a touristy place and trendy place for famous people to move, it wouldn't have much character now. I guess that's the perpetual tradeoff - growth and loss of character, or character retention and deterioration... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

AJMD429 wrote:Interesting story. Sad in a way for the community, but on the other hand, if it HAD become a touristy place and trendy place for famous people to move, it wouldn't have much character now. I guess that's the perpetual tradeoff - growth and loss of character, or character retention and deterioration... :(
Sadly the northwest corner of the state has becom a touristy place and trendy place for famous people, (and alot of not so famous) people to move to. :o :(
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yup...

Amelia's cabin was/is located just up-river from the old mining town of Kirwin, a fistful of miles upstream from Meeteetse. She often stayed at the Double-D Ranch, then owned by Carl Dunrud. The Dunruds were building the cabin for her.

The cabin was only 4 logs high, and was left unfinished after news of Earhart's disappearance.

Just spent a few days in the area with our local scout troop, camped on the Wood River. Saw a beautiful healthy Black Bear at the down-river end of Kirwin, Friday evening.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Yep, Buffalo Bill Cody's museum in Cody is a great place but Cody, Wyoming missing one small thing. Buffalo Bill!

Yep, Buffalo Bill isn't there. Based upon his stated wishes, he was buried in Golden, CO on top of Lookout Mountain overlooking Denver upon his death in 1917. The site was selected by Cody, himself, who had visited this Denver Mountain Park and admired the stunning view of mountains and plains.

From their website:

"When Cody was buried atop Lookout Mountain on June 3, 1917, close to 10,000 people traveled by foot, horseback, or early motorized vehicles to attend the ceremony. To dispel the myth that the body of Cody had been stolen between the time of death January and his burial in June, his wife, Louisa, ordered that the casket be opened for viewing.

The cause for delay came from many directions: first was the weather, which at that time of year made travel to the mountain summit overlooking Golden, Colorado difficult to navigate. Next was the arduous task of blasting a hole in the rocky outcropping that would host the gravesite. Due to Cody’s stature throughout the world, there was also a desire to allow time for his friends and colleagues to travel from outlying areas. But perhaps the most compelling reason was that people desired to acknowledge Cody’s role as an “unofficial US Ambassador” by having him laid to rest on a day with patriotic significance. June 3, 1917 was “Flag Day,” a day for Americans to display their flags and celebrate love of country.

The controversy of his burial location was ignited by an earlier document in which Cody stated that he wanted to be buried near Cody, Wyoming. It was a deathbed statement to his wife and his priest, however, the reminded them of his desire to be buried on “Mt. Lookout.” Nonetheless, people from not only Cody, but also North Platte, Nebraska and Rochester, New York, were claiming to have a stake in where the great plainsman was buried. Rumors of liberating the body were rampant. Thus Louisa’s decision to open the casket at the grave site so that everyone present could see who was about to be buried."
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
b nichols
Levergunner

Post by b nichols »

most of my relatives on my mothers side are buried in Meeteese.
Sims, and Todds
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wish I could get back there...

Hell, I'd be willing to take a Gooberment job (well, State anyway...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"Yep, Buffalo Bill isn't there. Based upon his stated wishes, he was buried in Golden, CO on top of Lookout Mountain overlooking Denver upon his death in 1917. The site was selected by Cody, himself, who had visited this Denver Mountain Park and admired the stunning view of mountains and plains."

Not quite...

Buffalo Bill had arranged to have himself buried on Spirit (Cedar) Mountain, just West of his namesake town, in a spot that overlooks the growing city.

Unfortunately, for him, and for his town, he died in Denver, while visiting his sister, and arranging finances for his floundering Wild West Show. Denverites, seeing a chance to capitalize on the turn of events, pursuaded Bill's widow to let them have him, and to bury him there, thumbing their collective noses at Cody's town in the Rockies in the process. The introduction of $10,000 cash and an undisclosed amount of debt forgiveness sweetened the deal and Cody was planted on Lookout Mountain. So there he remains, to this day (some say...) but definitely AGAINST his wishes...

To ensure the permanence of Cody's residency in/on the hill, 1,000 yards of concrete was poured over his final resting place.

BTW: "The tiny village of Meeteetse Wyoming, population about 350..." Tiny Village...??? That's a pretty good-sized town around here, Pard.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Buck Elliott wrote:Buffalo Bill had arranged to have himself buried on Spirit (Cedar) Mountain, just West of his namesake town, in a spot that overlooks the growing city.

Unfortunately, for him, and for his town, he died in Denver, while visiting his sister, and arranging finances for his floundering Wild West Show. Denverites, seeing a chance to capitalize on the turn of events, pursuaded Bill's widow to let them have him, and to bury him there, thumbing their collective noses at Cody's town in the Rockies in the process. The introduction of $10,000 cash and an undisclosed amount of debt forgiveness sweetened the deal and Cody was planted on Lookout Mountain. So there he remains, to this day (some say...) but definitely AGAINST his wishes...

To ensure the permanence of Cody's residency in/on the hill, 1,000 yards of concrete was poured over his final resting place.
Interesting story ginned up by the good folks in Wyoming but not supported by the facts. Bill had an earlier will that mentioned his burial on Spirit Mountain but his friends, his wife, and doctor certified that his dying wish was to be buried on Lookout Mountain, CO.

As that is considered prima facie evidence of a change in his will, it is now a legally established fact even if Wyoming would like to believe differently. In addition, in the years that followed his death Louisa, Cody's sister, repeated in her book, Memories, that he'd had a change of heart and wanted to be buried on Lookout Mountain in Colorado.

As for the protection of the grave, after Cody's wife died in 1921 and she was buried next to Bill, a few yards of concrete and iron bits were placed over the vault to seal it (not 1,000 yds). That same year, after numerous claims were made by the citizens of Cody, WY that Buffalo Bill's body should be moved, the Colorado National Guard placed a tank at the grave site in response to threats of removing his remains.

The friendly competition remains to this day and as recently as 1948, the Cody branch of the American Legion offered a reward for the 'return' of Cody's body to Wyoming.
Steve
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hmmmm wonder whether more Colorado people go see the concrete slab west of Denver, or go to the town of Cody Wyo, to visit the Buffalo Bill History Center, and fish in Buffalo Bill Reservoir. :P
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Been to both.
Steve
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

BTW: "The tiny village of Meeteetse Wyoming, population about 350..." Tiny Village...??? That's a pretty good-sized town around here, Pard.

Buck

I have more population than that on my street.. Gawd I hate it here.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jkbrea wrote:BTW: "The tiny village of Meeteetse Wyoming, population about 350..." Tiny Village...??? That's a pretty good-sized town around here, Pard.

Buck

I have more population than that on my street.. Gawd I hate it here.
We have several good real estate agents here. :D
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

jnyork wrote:
Yeah... but it's the JOBS that are hard to come by... :cry:
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

OI phones in... wrote:
jnyork wrote:
Not if you have a warm body, able to communicate and can pass a drug test by testing clean, opposed to how many you have in your blood stream.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:
OI phones in... wrote:
jnyork wrote:
Not if you have a warm body, able to communicate and can pass a drug test by testing clean, opposed to how many you have in your blood stream.
Perhaps, but none of that, nor an overpriced piece of paper called a "degree", has helped this 41/yo white guy much...

But then, I've also been "stupid" enough to put my wife's health before my career asperations.

Ah well.

I may be broke, but I can at least live with myself.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well don't know what to tell ya. It's pretty hard not to get a job in most of the state. Hell McD's in Gillette pays 13$ for burger flippers. Guess it depends on if a person wants to work or wants to gripe I spoze. Haul truck drivers in the mines start at 20$, and laborers in the gas fields start at 15 or so. Haliburton pays water truck drivers 30$ at Rock Springs.
Even the new WalMart distribution center in Cheyenne is starting folks at 13.50.
But it's sort of hard to get those jobs sittin and wishin in Illiandana
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don ..........
Ummm, is that a hint???? :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Don McDowell wrote:Well don't know what to tell ya. It's pretty hard not to get a job in most of the state. Hell McD's in Gillette pays 13$ for burger flippers. Guess it depends on if a person wants to work or wants to gripe I spoze. Haul truck drivers in the mines start at 20$, and laborers in the gas fields start at 15 or so. Haliburton pays water truck drivers 30$ at Rock Springs.
Even the new WalMart distribution center in Cheyenne is starting folks at 13.50.
Thank you for being so knowledgeable about my financial situation and general attitude toward work. :roll:

Maybe you have some pointers about how to sell a house in an area with no buyers, or how to be a sole provider with a disabled spouse on $13.50/hr too.

It's also interesting to note that none of the 6 job search engines I have running pop up anything like the CDL jobs you mention... that I'm not qualified for anyway because I don't have depth perception.

But hey, you know best.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

COSteve wrote:Been to both.
Yea Steve, my son and I have traveled to both places. I threw some 44-40 empties on his grave.

Nobody but ole Bill himself knew where he wanted to be planted. Cash does weird things to survivors. I bet if he could wake up and take a look around, he would say, "Take me back to Cody". Not that there's anything wrong with Denver, there's just too many people for Bill.

Jnyork,
Thanks for the neat pics and story. That is a very nice area. The town of Jackson seems awfully pricey to me.--------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sixgun wrote:[ many people for Bill.

. The town of Jackson seems awfully pricey to me.--------Sixgun
It does to everyone else as well, Sixgun, the billionaires ran the millionaires out of the valley years ago. Hardly anyone who lives in Wyoming goes up there.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

J Miller wrote:Don ..........
Ummm, is that a hint???? :lol:

Joe
:D Well I guess it could be Joe :mrgreen:
With everything that's going on around the state now, from building new prisons, and needing all types of help once they get it done, to all the stuff with the energy boom, to the growth that Cheyenne is seeing with the Walmart, and Lowes distribution centers, and other stuff going on down there to the just plain ordinary burger flipper and store help and other service industry jobs available in the boom areas, any body that sits and whines cuz he/she can't find a job here isn't looking nor trying very dang hard.
And that don't even touch the way things a jumpin in the western Dakota's and eastern Montana with all the oil field stuff going on, new pipelines being built,wind farms and transmission lines in all the Rocky Mtn Region.......
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Then maybe you could steer us to some better job search engines or some actual names & hiring departments...

And, FWIW, I just applied/interviewed (on Saturday) for WDOC/Torrington... but there are several thousand qualified people competing for the same 385 jobs...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Old Ironsights wrote:Then maybe you could steer us to some better job search engines or some actual names & hiring departments...

And, FWIW, I just applied/interviewed for WDOC/Torrington... but there are several thousand qualified people competing for the same 385 jobs...
They're gonna hire somebody (or 385 somebodies...) and you only need ONE job...
Regards

Buck

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Casper paper has several pages of job ads in the Saturday and Sunday papers. Wyoming Job Service has an office in every town.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Then maybe you could steer us to some better job search engines or some actual names & hiring departments...

And, FWIW, I just applied/interviewed for WDOC/Torrington... but there are several thousand qualified people competing for the same 385 jobs...
They're gonna hire somebody (or 385 somebodies...) and you only need ONE job...
Well, that IS why I applied/interviewed. It's all up to Cheyenne now.
Casper paper has several pages of job ads in the Saturday and Sunday papers. Wyoming Job Service has an office in every town.
That's better than Chicago. It's down to less than 4 pages - 2 of which are dedicated to Medical and most of the space is taken up with multi-column display ads.

Job Source (as with most other agencies) won't talk to you until you live there.

I guess I could declare bankruptcy, divorce my wife, sell all but 2 guns and move up there to live on Unemployment/welfare untill I got a job. :roll: But that's really not my style. So I have to do what I can from here.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Job Source (as with most other agencies) won't talk to you until you live there.
That is the brick wall we've run into on lots of occasions. Need a job when we get there as well as a house. Need someplace to stay to get the job. Can't get a place to stay without a job. Catch 22.

If we had a place to stay for a while as we got jobs and got established that would be great. If we had lots of money that would be easy. We don't, it isn't.
Jobs are there, I am here, HOBIE can you put in a "bang head" smiley?

Don, not sitting and whining, we're actually trying to figure out just how to get there with ... nothing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe bring a tent, camp in the campgrounds until you find a job, it won't take long if you go to Casper or Gillette, might take a little longer at some of the other towns but there's jobs a plenty out there, and a great lot of them are not listed with job service or any of the other places, they got signs out on the road sayin help wanted, papers are full of jobs.
If you're serious about coming out I'll connect you with a friend of mine thats hr person in one of the gas field business.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don McDowell wrote:Joe bring a tent, camp in the campgrounds until you find a job, it won't take long if you go to Casper or Gillette, might take a little longer at some of the other towns but there's jobs a plenty out there, and a great lot of them are not listed with job service or any of the other places, they got signs out on the road sayin help wanted, papers are full of jobs.
If you're serious about coming out I'll connect you with a friend of mine thats hr person in one of the gas field business.
Don,
Thanks for the offer, will confer with SWMBO. There's lots of things I have that I could part with, she is not one of them.
Besides I still have to get there and my Pathfinder does not run for free.

Joe
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:We are all brothers-in-arms here - literally. I may not agree with everyone here - and I certainly know my overly opinionated rants probably rub others the wrong way. But despite that, I'm not going to throw stones at fellow gun-rights supporters - we need all of them we can get. Calling someone out by their last name on this very public forum is just not kosher; nor is wishing them ill. That could have been handled, if one desired, via a PM. Don, you have your last name in your user name - your choice, and obviously you don't feel that crime or the government (possibly the same thing in the future) is something you need to worry about. Not all of us have the luxury of living in such a safe place, and calling someone out by name who doesn't simply exposes them to danger.
I was mulling over what to say along the same lines - you put it very well.

We can't all be 'optimists', and sometimes the things that beat us down in life seem all-too-easy to 'solve' by those who haven't walked in our shoes.

A forum should be a place we can take our shoes off, relax, and if needed, vent our frusturations without an attack. Ideally, fellow forumites should actually provide some encouragement and positive support when we're 'down'.

Some are 'down' more than others, and some people just have lives that have never gone well through no fault of their own. I see it all the time with people's health, or their family's health. To us 'outsiders' all the solutions seem so simple, but they seldom are. Positive suggestions can help, and can sometimes lend the perspective that only an 'outsider' will have, and that can be a GOOD thing - but ridicule is seldom a helpful motivator.

We'll see more of the 'beat down by life' symptoms as our government tears down the economy and takes away the freedoms we once had, combined with the frusturation of knowing our fellow citizens voted FOR all this out of their own self-interest.

Anyway, good post Ysabel...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ysabel Kid wrote:We are all brothers-in-arms here - literally. I may not agree with everyone here - and I certainly know my overly opinionated rants probably rub others the wrong way. But despite that, I'm not going to throw stones at fellow gun-rights supporters - we need all of them we can get. Calling someone out by their last name on this very public forum is just not kosher; nor is wishing them ill. That could have been handled, if one desired, via a PM. Don, you have your last name in your user name - your choice, and obviously you don't feel that crime or the government (possibly the same thing in the future) is something you need to worry about. Not all of us have the luxury of living in such a safe place, and calling someone out by name who doesn't simply exposes them to danger.
Well we're not all brothers in arms here. I can no more tolerate the anti governement anarchy stuff that you man spouts and oozes any more than I can stomache the bullspit the Democrats are trying to stuff down our throats, either one or both if they are left to have their ways will be the end of this country as we know it.
If that young man is so darned passionate and truly believes in the drivel he puts forth then he by god ought to be man enough and sure enough of hisself to put his name on it. But he doesn't. Coward by any other name as near as I can tell.
Now back to what happened here. First he said he wanted to come to Wy but can't because there's no jobs, well that's just plain wrong. Then he went on the tyrade about how he's stuck with his house, and can't afford to come out here, and starts an attack on me for something I never said or even thought. Then he turns around and tells us he has applied/interviewed. :roll: :?:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My last post on the subject:
Don McDowell wrote:... If that young man is so darned passionate and truly believes in the drivel he puts forth then he by god ought to be man enough and sure enough of hisself to put his name on it. But he doesn't. Coward by any other name as near as I can tell.
So anyone using a Handle on these forums is a Coward?

Lovely. :roll:

Maybe the guys writing about Limited Government under Psudeonyms in The Federalist Papers were Cowards too.
Don McDowell wrote:... Now back to what happened here. First he said he wanted to come to Wy but can't because there's no jobs, well that's just plain wrong. Then he went on the tyrade about how he's stuck with his house, and can't afford to come out here, and starts an attack on me for something I never said or even thought. Then he turns around and tells us he has applied/interviewed. :roll: :?:
As for my applying to and interviewing with WDOC - Clue: They had a Recruiting Team in Chicago (Tinley Park) last weekend. They had one in Michigan the week before.

But hey, what do I know? I'm not a 3rd generation anything. I actually have to LOOK for employment. It wasn't handed to me.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Old Ironsights wrote:But hey, what do I know? I'm not a 3rd generation anything. I actually have to LOOK for employment. It wasn't handed to me.
:D Nothing was handed to me either youngun.We put this outfit together on our, own. Carol and I worked and scrounged and did what we needed to do to get this deal put toghether, and hang on to it. We're still paying the mortgage and the operating loans and all the rest. Nobody nowhere at no time handed me anything but a bunch of grief.

No not everybody that uses a handle is a coward, but if you so strongly believe in the filth you put forth, then by god be a man about it and put your name to it.

Have heart tho Marx junior , I do find you to be somewhat of a useful idiot, as everytime I see the filth and drivel and trouble you want to stir up, and the low state of affairs you're usually entangled in, I get prouder and prouder of our kids who are the same age and older than you, and the success they have made of their lives. :D And make note that we handed them nothing either, they did it on their own. :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gentlemen,

Quite a bit of drift in this topic. Not all of it up to our usual standards. Disagree, argue, but let's not result to ad hominem attacks.

If I may, let me remind all of you that one can learn from what the "other" side says. Sometimes it pays to just sit and listen. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I don't think of myself a an historical piece but - my dad was the first white child born in Torrington, Wyoming - all before him were American Indians. He was born there November 27, 1900.

His dad - my Grandpa King, was the railroad station agent always at the very west end of the railroad and, when they opened a new segment of railroad, he went to the west end. He was one tough guy but - he and I had a very close relationship after he retired from the railroad and went into banking and ranching (Herefords) in the Sandhills of western Nebraska in partnership with dad - he always took me everywhere in his pickup so I could shoot rabbits and prairie dogs. When he figured his model T pickup was worn out, he gave it to me as my toy - how many five year old kids get a plaything like that ? :D

When dad was born, they were living in a couple of boxcars and dad had three older sisters - dunno who did the obstetric work. Whenever, I mention what a tough guy he was, my wife reminds me his wife - Grandma King - must have been plenty tough also - she's right.

In later years when we would drive a couple of hundred miles for the annual rodeo in Torrington, it would be announced over the PA system he was there and he was recognized by all - that really annoyed my mother because she didn't want to be associated with the oldest anything in public - :roll:

:mrgreen:

She was two years younger.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Have not been following this thread but saw where Don said there was work up there.
So if I hooked up my travel trailer to one of my trucks and drove up there, I could find work?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Neat story OJ , thanks for sharing.
Theres alot of interesting history floating around between the North Platte and the Cheyenne River that mostly gets overlooked by all but a few interested folks.
Did you come up for the big 100 th anniversary in Torrington a couple years ago?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

OJ wrote:I don't think of myself a an historical piece but - my dad was the first white child born in Torrington, Wyoming - all before him were American Indians. He was born there November 27, 1900.

His dad - my Grandpa King, was the railroad station agent always at the very west end of the railroad and, when they opened a new segment of railroad, he went to the west end. He was one tough guy but - he and I had a very close relationship after he retired from the railroad and went into banking and ranching (Herefords) in the Sandhills of western Nebraska in partnership with dad - he always took me everywhere in his pickup so I could shoot rabbits and prairie dogs. When he figured his model T pickup was worn out, he gave it to me as my toy - how many five year old kids get a plaything like that ? :D

When dad was born, they were living in a couple of boxcars and dad had three older sisters - dunno who did the obstetric work. Whenever, I mention what a tough guy he was, my wife reminds me his wife - Grandma King - must have been plenty tough also - she's right.

In later years when we would drive a couple of hundred miles for the annual rodeo in Torrington, it would be announced over the PA system he was there and he was recognized by all - that really annoyed my mother because she didn't want to be associated with the oldest anything in public - :roll:

She was two years younger.
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Interesting piece of history.

It was my good fortune to be sent on a six week exchange exercise in Alberta in '78. Four of us hired a car and took a quick trip down into Montana and Wyoming and travelled through some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. We passed through Cody.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

mescalero1 wrote:Have not been following this thread but saw where Don said there was work up there.
So if I hooked up my travel trailer to one of my trucks and drove up there, I could find work?
Google Casper Star Tribune. 141 jobs listed in todays edition.
Cheyenne Tribune Eagle, the Gillette paper and the Rock Springs paper all have job openings listed.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thank you
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

becha
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Thanks, guys - no, I missed the 100th anniversary in Torrington but, I guess, if it was after the year 2000, my dad was born before it was recognized as a town. We went there often about rodeo time - my dad and I both grew up as cowboys and "worked" rodeos in our younger days.

We lived in Grant county (auto licenses were numbered inversely to the number of autos licensed - we were 92 out of 93 counties) about 70 miles north and a little west of North Platte. I was almost 16 when my folks moved to the city of Denver. I had even put two years in the Nebraska School of Agriculture - never expected to end up as a general and cardiovascular surgeon after serving in two wars - and such.

I've had a great trip and, it's not over yet by a long shot - though I've aged a few years.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER