tang length Vs Peep site

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

tang length Vs Peep site

Post by eagles »

I have a custom ,new model 71 with the modern short tang . I wanted an aperature site and a gunsmith I used in Vegas put the marbles fold down one on the rifle but when I got it , the bolt of course does not clear the site when it is standing , error number one I also asked for a nice express set of leaf sites to be added when I did not want to use the aperature site . A very nice set was added but the closest V notch does NOT fold down so when the site is up you still see the v notch , second blunder . I really dont get it ,how a gunsmith could instal these things and not give a heads up they just wont work right . Anyway the first question is ( I now see the advantage in the old long tang model 71 ) is their a solution to allow a folding tang site on these newere models ? I had two ideas 1. have a longer base for the marbles site fabricated that would put it back far enough (stock would need to be altered ) or try and have somne one fabricate a long tang for the rifle (probably much harder ) OR does anyone make the BOLT peep site that I heard some of the old guns had that would fit my rifle (how did this work , was it ia flip up on the bolt ? ) Last question who could do the work that you recomend . I want some one who THINKS when they do the work and if something wont work TELL ME before they do it and i need to undo IT , again at my expense !!!!!!! Another item is on the long folding leaf site , the bottem base clears the barrel by about one eighth of an inch all the way from the dove tail , dont you think shimming that to fit flush with the barrel would have been far superior to allowing a gap I cant get out to clean or that might reslult in the site being bent if struck ? William
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: tang length Vs Peep site

Post by mod71alaska »

William,

There's a 2009 thread on the Forum from a Levergunner who has duplicated the Model 71 bolt and bolt peep. I wish I could provide a link to it for you. Perhaps you can find it through the search or someone can point you to it. Good luck!

PS: How 'bout some pics of your custom 71...sounds nice!!! Do you need a new (old stock) .348 neck sizing die? Check out my listing in the classifieds if you do.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

eagle,
Post a picture if you can so we may determine what happened.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there eagles - Try contacting "RANisbet" and see what he has to say. I believe he is the one involved with the Model 71 bolt peep sight. Hope this helps. Wind
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

WHO IS RANISBIT ?
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

RANisbet is a member of this forum. Might find him under the member section. I don't recall specifics but he is either selling sight specifications, drawings, sight parts, or complete sights. This is the way he spells his name by the way. Good luck. Wind
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Thanks !!!!
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Sent him an email but got no response of any kind ????
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

eagles wrote:Sent him an email but got no response of any kind ????
Don't forget it's summer. Check out his posts and you'll find his thread, which might help you initially until you hear back. Good luck!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Williams FP-71. Makes tang length a moot point. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Thanks , they will work but the way it bulges out form the side of the reciver, looks clunky , to me, anyway . The 71 has an elegance about it . The Bolt site looks very elegant and the tang site looks traditional lever I have a side mounted aperature on my model 95 405 but that is a duplication of an old site and does not look as much as a stuck on after thought I dont think .
trapdoor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trapdoor »

too much recoil in a 348 for a tang sight will get you in the hand for starters.
better off with a receiver sight. Makes it difficult to use barrel sights if you leave them on. I have a tang on a 30-30 M64 and recoil gets me in the web of my hand. If it was drilled for a receiver I would use one.
for whatever it is worth
Jeff
eagles
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eagles »

Thanks Jeff but I found the solution, although I think it is way overpriced . Frontier Americana of Fargo makes the bolt aperature site for the model 71 and can do the machine work to install it . You need to send them the bolt and firing pin . The bad news is the cost is $450 . I suppose their is a fair amount of machining to do it but that cost $150 and the site is $350 which is the steep part to me , but at least it is avaialble . My gun is not driled for a reciever site and won't get one if I can eventualky afford this . I never heard back from the Gentleman on this forum yet I was advised to email . I dont think that litttle site should be more than $150 plus instalation but when you have the only show in town !!!!