Powder for the .25-35

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Powder for the .25-35

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Anyone have any favorites for loading this nice old levergun cartridge with the Hornady 117-grain RN? I was wondering if Re10 would work, but Alliant is nearly worthless for load data.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Powder for the .25-35

Post by J Miller »

Perhaps the purchase of a Hornady loading manual would help. Powder manufactures are notoriously conservative and limited on their data.
Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, and several others make their own data manuals that cover more cartridges with better data than the powder manufacturers.

As for the 25-35, I've no experience with it. Sadly ............ :cry:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a .25-35 and have come to prefer the 117 gr. RN by Hornady. I have used BL-C(2) and IMR 3031 to get about 2100-2200 fps. This seems adequate.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I use a different jacketed bullet, but the same weight within about two or three grains. My best groups came from 26.1 grains of IMR-4064, and a CCI-BR primer.

BTW: My rifle HATED that Hornady bullet...I tried over 20 different loads with that one and finally moved on to a different bullet. Rifle shot fine when I changed bullets. So don't get discouraged if you can't find a nice load for that rifle/bullet combo.

Ed
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks guys. I have most of the manuals, including the latest Hornady. My barrel is 26 inches, so I am hoping to get close to 2500 with the 117. Hope it shoots well as it is a good design for a tubular magazine.