Black Cat Thickett wonderings.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Black Cat Thickett wonderings.

Post by RKrodle »

Went up to our (86er, CRS, Jim and myself) Black Cat Thicket hunting property this evening to check the hog feeders. We’ve been having a big problem with coons eating the corn. I set out some traps and thinned out a few of the coons but for the last few days there has been nothing in the traps. I decided to walk on further to check another feeder and stopped by the pond on the way. I saw our resident wood duck hens and the one duckling, also for the first time saw a beaver there. There is a lot of old sign of beavers but as yet we hadn’t seen one. I also caught a glimpse of something moving away from the water on the far side but couldn’t tell what it was. The pond is heavily wooded on all sides with just one small clearing were I was standing. Feeling good about all that I had seen I continued on to the second feeder. As I came up on a small rise about 20 yards from it I see something moving under it. I realize it a coon and throw my Winchester 94 Trapper up to my shoulder and squeeze the trigger. The 250gr XTP pushed by a big dose of H110 whacked the coon hard but it was still moving, I send a second shot screaming at the struggling coon and then all is still. I move over closer to inspect it and find my first shot was a little far back and I had gut shot it. The XTP traveling at 1700 fps was devastating having blown a huge hole, the second shot exited out the side of its head and there simply was nothing left of it. I disposed of the carcass and turn to leave, as I’m walking back by the pond I hear a strange noise and creep up the bank and look over to see another coon followed closely by three young ones crossing a dead tree laying in the pond. I take aim and dropped the lead coon from about 50 to 55 yards, the younger ones reverse direction on the log and head back the way they came. I aim and drop the lead coon and the second in line, the third one goes into the water and after three shots I manage to take him also. All in all I managed to reduce the coon population by five. It’s a good start and will help the young wood ducks to survive also. I was curious how the XTPs would work at the speeds I running them in the trapper. I was pleased with them on the coons, simply devastating, but I think they’re moving to fast to be useful on anything bigger. I believe I will need to move up the XTP MAG for a heavier constructed bullet. I may also try some of Swifts 265gr bullets as I believe they will hold up quite well at these speeds on heavier animals such as hogs.
Ricky

DWWC
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Black Cat Thickett wonderings.

Post by rjohns94 »

Great post and conclusions. Awesome - 5 coons in one day. Only time I ever came close to that was on possums in an apple tree, got 4 that day
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Have you given any thought to the 240gr XTP Mags? I had excellent results on a 200# hog using 27.5gr of H110 with the 240 XTP Mag @ 1900fps. Will post pix later this evening.

Great story.

ETA: Pix!

The hog in question

The bullets (as recovered from a dirt embankment)

250gr XTP was at 1600fps, 240gr XTP MAG was at 1900fps. Distance was 50 yds.

PM me with an email address if you'd like the more graphic photos of the internal damage.
Last edited by cnjarvis on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Saw a coon in the backyard this afternoon. He's been stealing tomatos for the last week or so. Got to figure out a way of taking him quietly, as the neighbors would object to me doing so with a firearm...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Boy, have I got a job for you!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Saw a coon in the backyard this afternoon. He's been stealing tomatos for the last week or so. Got to figure out a way of taking him quietly, as the neighbors would object to me doing so with a firearm...

Just make sure you use a broadhead and plenty of a bow. Dont want no NINJA COONS trapsing the neighborhood with an arrow with target points in him!

As you can tell thats a voice of experiance! NOT MINE THANKFULLY, my best friend!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Stay on their tales Ricky! It is getting to be hog hunting time followed closely by deer hunting. We can't afford to feed the varmint population when we're trying to assess the resident big game. It sounds like good shooting! Ever since you got a real gun your marksmanship has notably improved! :)
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

86er wrote:...real gun...
:D :D :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Saw a coon in the backyard this afternoon. He's been stealing tomatos for the last week or so. Got to figure out a way of taking him quietly, as the neighbors would object to me doing so with a firearm...
BTDT...

180gr pure lead .357 - HP if you can manage it - driven to about 500fps from a 20" gun. About 100ftlbs IIRC.

With the gun zeroed at 100yds with OEM ammo those cat-sneeze loads will roll a 'coon to POA at 25yds... and make less noise than coughing.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

86er wrote: Ever since you got a real gun your marksmanship has notably improved! :)
Hey Ricky, 2 shots?
So whachur' sayin' is dat yur 45 Trapper is barely addy-quate for killin' coons :wink:

Muss be some big 'uns in yor neck of da woodz.

But this does sound like a good test medium for some Nasti-Nose HP testing.

- Brian
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

BrianSH wrote:
86er wrote: Ever since you got a real gun your marksmanship has notably improved! :)
Hey Ricky, 2 shots?
So whachur' sayin' is dat yur 45 Trapper is barely addy-quate for killin' coons :wink:

- Brian
BTDT too. I shot one twice, center mass, with a Win 94 Carbine in 45 colt w/ 250gr LRNFP's at point blank range. The durned thing just sat there and looked at me as if to say "what the heck do you want?". It took a head shot to seal the deal. Those coons are TOUGH.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

BrianSH wrote:
Hey Ricky, 2 shots?

But this does sound like a good test medium for some Nasti-Nose HP testing.

- Brian
:D Hey they're Texas coons you know, I didn't want to mention how big they are here for all the disbelief it would cause. But, they are the reason we don't have bears around here :D .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rjohns94 wrote:Great post and conclusions. Awesome - 5 coons in one day. Only time I ever came close to that was on possums in an apple tree, got 4 that day
Actually it was all in less then about 5 minutes. That's the first time I've run across that many in one area. Our game cams are showing we have a real problem.
mescalero1 wrote:Boy, have I got a job for you!
Have Gun, Will Travel :lol:
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Ricky - good show! :)
sounds like a good place to use my new 9422 mag. Or maybe the .357 with 125 gr hollow points. Those are effective on close range varmints too.

When our move to Farmersville is done, I will have a short drive there sort of like you do today.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Kid -- Go to your neighbors and tell them that you've seen coons stealing tomatos out of your garden and that means they are probably in their gardens too. Tell em you'll be glad to get rid of the coons and that you'll use nothing more powerful than a .22LR. The .22LR has accounted for probably more coons than any other round on the palnet.

Anyway, maybe your neighbors will relent if they know or think their gardens are in jeopardy.

If the neighbors say no, look into one of those .308 or 9mm airguns by Quackenbush.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Good luck on getting a Quackenbush before Universal Entropic Heat Death...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat story Ricky! Hogs are the one thing we don't have up here in Pa. (other than game farms :cry: )
We sure do have a lot of coons though, but good for me, they mostly inhabit the city areas. :D ---------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

On the hunt back in April, BrianSH used his .45 RedHawk on a coon. It took 2 shots, and his big hog only took 3. Those Texas coons are amazingly tough. I have some 325 grain hard lead bullets in .452 if Ricky wants to try them on the coons. Might finally get the bullet to go all the way through. :roll:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote:On the hunt back in April, BrianSH used his .45 RedHawk on a coon. It took 2 shots, and his big hog only took 3. Those Texas coons are amazingly tough. I have some 325 grain hard lead bullets in .452 if Ricky wants to try them on the coons. Might finally get the bullet to go all the way through. :roll:

You can't shoot 'em in the head----I hear they are like concrete. You have to go for body shots--------------------Sixgun
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

sixgun are ya'll talkin bout the same coons?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Nice shooting and story. I have a big ground hog living under my shed out back and have tried to trap him but he won't bite. Too bad I live in the city otherwise I'd wack him with my marlin 1894.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JerryB wrote:sixgun are ya'll talkin bout the same coons?
I think :? 4 legged :?:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Use a "Gobbler Guillotine" broadhead; it'll kill him and quarter him in one shot!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Modoc ED wrote:
Kid -- Go to your neighbors and tell them that you've seen coons stealing tomatos out of your garden and that means they are probably in their gardens too. Tell em you'll be glad to get rid of the coons and that you'll use nothing more powerful than a .22LR. The .22LR has accounted for probably more coons than any other round on the palnet.

Anyway, maybe your neighbors will relent if they know or think their gardens are in jeopardy.

If the neighbors say no, look into one of those .308 or 9mm airguns by Quackenbush.
If the neighbors have any African ancestry, you might be careful how you word that; I've had to quell a near riot or two when some idiot overheard me talking about coon hunting and mistook my intentions.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1