OT- Holsters and holster wear.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Holsters and holster wear.

Post by 336A »

Since I received my first quality leather holster (Simply Rugged) for my M10 I've been thinking about holster wear. I understand that holster wear is a fact of life, and that about the only thing that a person can do to minimize it is to get a proper fitting holster. I was told by someone elsewhere that the biggest cause of holster wear is a loose fitting holster which allows the sidearm to move about in the hlster as you move. Has anyone here that has used variuos types of holsters over the years found this to be true? Do holsters such as the Simply Rugged which hold the pistol tight show less wear than say a Tom Three person or other style of holster?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT- Holsters and holster wear.

Post by J Miller »

Many summers ago when I carried a short gun on the job I bought Safariland lined thumb break holsters. They were very good products. My Mdl 25-5 has lived it's entire life in the holster I bought for it in early 83. It was and is a pretty tight holster yet all the high spots are white now.
Here's a pic of it:
J Miller's 25-5 b.JPG
And here's where it lives:
Safariland Mdl.29.JPG
Honestly I don't think there is such a thing as a gun carried in a holster that does not have finish wear. I've used Safariland, and several others, and no matter how good they are, they cause wear. The worst is the generic type as used by Hunter. YUCK!

My opinion is simply if you're gonna holster it, ignore the wear.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Fit is an important issue in regard to finish wear. Also, spend a few extra bucks for a lined, silicon treated holster and you'll be about as safe as you can be, although some holster wear is inevitable, eventually.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm not familiar with the simply rugged make, but a properly fitted Threepersons rig should be tight. Keith felt a holster should hold the gun upside down with no strap, even with some shaking, but come loose with a pop when jerked intentionally. I find this to be a good system. They stretch and wear over time, and loosen some, but you can tighten them with a tightly tied or laced deerskin thong in the upper welt where it pinches the frame under the trigger guard.

I've also found that the fine dust that absolutely infiltrates everything in Wyoming is very abrasive, and hard on a gun finish. It impregnates into the leather and works like sandpaper over time. Oh well. That's life. Couple of my older carry guns have a LOT of blue gone. I don't worry about it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Keith felt a holster should hold the gun upside down with no strap, even with some shaking, but come loose with a pop when jerked intentionally. I find this to be a good system.
Malamute this exactly how the the Simply Rugged Sourgh Dough pancake holster works. I know that I could stand on my head and my M10 will stay put. Thanks for the replies folks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Malamute wrote:I'm not familiar with the simply rugged make, but a properly fitted Threepersons rig should be tight. Keith felt a holster should hold the gun upside down with no strap, even with some shaking, but come loose with a pop when jerked intentionally. I find this to be a good system. They stretch and wear over time, and loosen some, but you can tighten them with a tightly tied or laced deerskin thong in the upper welt where it pinches the frame under the trigger guard.

I've also found that the fine dust that absolutely infiltrates everything in Wyoming is very abrasive, and hard on a gun finish. It impregnates into the leather and works like sandpaper over time. Oh well. That's life. Couple of my older carry guns have a LOT of blue gone. I don't worry about it.

I missed that comment by Keith. Was it in Sixguns or where? It sounds very good and I'd like a holster for my 4 3/4" SA like that.

The dust in AZ does the same exact thing. I used to take a vacuum sweeper with the skinny crevice tool and vacuum out my holsters on a weekly basis, or when ever I came back in from the desert.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Quite frankly, a little honest wear on the finish doesn't bother me. I buy six-guns to shoot, not for investment. If they ain't closet queens they are going to get wear. Accept it as a fact of life.

I've used lined holsters and unlined holsters for years. I really can't tell any difference about holster-wear.

The most important thing is to buy good quality gunleather. Holsters made for your specific gun and molded to fit. The one-size fits nothing generic holsters are cheaper, but they are really over-priced.

If your Sourdough manages to get loose, just soak it in alcohol until the leather is saturated, no bubbles coming from the leather. Spray down your revolver with a good water-displacing lubricant and jam it in the holster. Press the leather against the gun so that it form fits. Leave the revolver in the holster until it dries and it should be as tight as the day Rob shipped it. Don't bother trying this with a lined holster.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

+ 1 Doc.....I love a little holster wear on my pistols. I also like a little sweat and oil on my holsters!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I have committed the unpardonable sin among "manly men" who tote SA's, and have used the unmentionable material: Nylon! Yep, and that's when I ususually hear the sound of repulsed cricketts on a forum.. after I state that. :mrgreen: I've used Uncle Mike's sidekick holsters since the 80's and they have not worn much blue at all off my pistols that I can percieve. All they have really done is to finish the polishing job that the factory started. I've not toted them every day, but alot, and they still look really good. I've had the Uncle Mikes nylong belt going on forever and it still works nice too. You never hear much about them anymore as a serious rig but I think highly of them myself. Have to get a photo for those who have not seen them but here is one my most used pistols that I have toted everywhere since 88 or 89:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

C. Cash wrote:I've used Uncle Mike's sidekick holsters since the 80's and they have not worn much blue at all off my pistols that I can percieve. All they have really done is to finish the polishing job that the factory started. I've not toted them every day, but alot, and they still look really good.
Pretty much the same here; nylon doesn't wear my blued guns much at all. My 'totin' guns are usually stainless anyway, so tradition is already out the door long before the leather-vs.nylon debate.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

AJMD429 wrote:
C. Cash wrote:I've used Uncle Mike's sidekick holsters since the 80's and they have not worn much blue at all off my pistols that I can percieve. All they have really done is to finish the polishing job that the factory started. I've not toted them every day, but alot, and they still look really good.
Pretty much the same here; nylon doesn't wear my blued guns much at all. My 'totin' guns are usually stainless anyway, so tradition is already out the door long before the leather-vs.nylon debate.
As I have understand it, the ones for SA's are a copy of the Tom Three Persons style rig except the Nylon material. It doesn't make one look important at a BBQ, but they work well and feel nice. Have one on my only stainless gun, a Security Six as well. :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Chris,
I've been fed a line of bull.
I was told they wear more than a leather holster.
I do trust and believe you, but I seriously believed that they did cause more wear.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

mescalero1 wrote:Chris,
I've been fed a line of bull.
I was told they wear more than a leather holster.
I do trust and believe you, but I seriously believed that they did cause more wear.
Hey Mescalero,
In my experience, they just don't wear a gun much at all. Maybe a lined leather holster is about as good but I've not tried them. Now, I'm just your average Joe and not an outfitter that has his pistol banged around on every day on a horse or in camp, or a competitive shooter that continually holsters and unholsters his/her gun. But I pack one of my pistols at least once a week, usually more...and almost always it's the Super Blackhawk in my Day pack....it goes everywhere with me except to places where it's illegal, and I continually take it out of it's holster to load/unload(kids), wipe down(often humid here), shoot it as much as I can, play with it, clean...etc. Definitely no wear problems in my experience with it or the scores of others that I've used since the mid 80's. As AJMD states....noticed very little if any at all, which I find pretty astonishing from the amount of use they've seen. I've been through 3 Single Sixes and this is my second SBH...all the same.

336A, I have a tight fitting Hunter brand leather holster for a Taurus 38 that I was given, and it fairly quickly took much of the blue off the cylinder chamber walls. Probably, quality of blue has a good bit to do with it as well but a loose fitting holster cannot be good. Just thinking out loud.
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Just goes to show, that gun shop talk is just that , talk.
Real life experience is what matters, and I stayed away from them on the strength of gun shop talk.
BAD on me.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I own a lot of tools, some of which are guns.
All things wear away, including us.
However I do agree, 336A, that a snug holster is just better. I'd rather have a router or laser case that keeps the tools still and protected in my truck, or as I carry them through a job site.
I hope to to order myself a Simply Rugged holster one day for my HiPower.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

homefront wrote:I own a lot of tools, some of which are guns.
All things wear away, including us.

Some folks just prefer to have that "new" look. I just enjoy looking at a fine gun with a nicely done blueing job...it gives me pleasure, but also love the wear on the family heirlooms as they tell a story. Reportedly, Elmer Keith had his famous No. 5 reblued several times so maybe some of us OCD's are in good company? :wink: :mrgreen:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Just wish I had not worn quite so much :roll:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Get a stainless steel gun like I did. Drop it on the cement so it bounces on both sides like I did. Then you won't care - that is the real solution. Leather won't wear through steel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Just from my experience, I have no use for lined holsters, especially split roughout. With a little age and use the liners have a tendency to stretch and loosen actually making insertion and drawing much more of an effort, certainly nothing you would bet your life on. Since I am always out in dusty country, another issue I have is that the roughout lining gathers dust and grit in its pores then uses that to sand the bluing off you treasured handgun as you move about. After a couple of early holsters with closed bottoms (toes), I now prefer either an open toe or one with at least a quarter inch gap in the welt at the toe. After a couple of dusty spills and time spent digging and shaking dirt out of the holster, I found it easier to let excess grit pass on through of its own accord. A quality design, of heavy leather, tightly boned to fit is always the right choice.