Went hunting with the 38-40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Went hunting with the 38-40

Post by Gobblerforge »

The other day I got the urge go shoot something. The weather had been hot for days but that day a cooler breeze blew. All the chores were done for the day and my time was free so it was all about me. So I picked up the 1892 Winchester in 38wcf and went to the neighbor's down the road. Now I'm loaded down with 180 grains of flat nosed lead going a earth shattering [notice I didn't say sound shattering] 1000fps which is just what she likes. It was a sunny day so I was working down hill, down the shady side of a path to an open lane real slow and I stopped every step or two to glass. Squatted down, to scan under a branch in front of me, I see a woodchuck across the clearing less than 50 yards, sitting up looking at me. Busted. As slowly as I could, and since I was squatted anyhow, I sit back to the hill and get my elbow on my knee. Slowly I flip up the lyman 2a with a medium disc in and bring the hammer back. Sitting in the shade, the sights are crisp and the target is lit, and all goes quiet in the world.............. Boom............. The echo rolls down the valley. Sweet. The shot felt good and the binoculars show a small round brown butt with a twitching tail. Eventually I make it to the scene of the event to find a dime sized hole in the dead center of the chest. No doubt the heart is gone. Perfect. The rest of the hunt produced nothing but I had a good feeling about it all. The 38-40 had proven itself once again as more than enough to do the job on even the toughest Ohio groundhog. I love the old caliber. The Winchester has proven once again to be a mear extension of my eye and mind in delivering it's lethal round to what ever foe. It made the hunt and the day just that much better.
Hmmmmmm. I need to work up a load for that 303 Savage............................ :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Went hunting with the 38-40

Post by Sixgun »

Yep, There's something about hunting with the old cartridges in an old original gun. :D Personally, I would not hunt that much if it wasn't for the old guns I use. There's so much satisfaction and a nice nostalgic feeling busting a meat source with the same tools that were used a hundred years ago.

I believe the archers and muzzleloader enthusiasts feel the same way.

The 38-40 is also my favorite pistol calibered gun (along with the 32-20) for woods loafing. When having the need to bust a crow or a nasty fox out back at distance, I leave the 22-250 tucked away and grab a 218 Bee or 219 Zipper.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yeah, yeah, gobbler - Next time, you GOTTA try for a carom shot, richocheting the slug off a rock, and try for dead-center ! ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(BTW - I'm envious)

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Neat story! Makes me want to take the old '73 .44 W.C.F. out after groundhogs with a magazine loaded with original W.R.A. CO. .44 W.C.F. headstamped black powder cartridges. :mrgreen:

Regarding the .303, way back when, factory loaded .303 Miniature cartridges were available. There were two versions: 1.) 100 gr. lead and 2.) 100 gr metal patched as in the pic below. The metal patched Miniature had a velocity of 1,400 f.p.s. and was said to be accurate to 200 yards. Powder charge was 8 grs. of Infallible (Today's Unique is a very close replacement.)

The same loadings were also available for the .30-30. Today, I find that the 110 RN .30 Carbine bullet or the Speer 110 gr. h.p. over either 8 grs. of Unique or 231 shoots very well. Like stepping back in time........:mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Excellent, Gobblerforge! You just turned my 21st century laptop into a time machine. That could have been an entry in a hunter's journal back in 1892! Thank you! :)
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I can see the fun of trying ricochet shots. But I have to do it on targets. On a live critter I prefer to harvest quickly and certainly as in that I feel I owe that to the game. I've worked my whole life trying to perfect it. However. I have played with various methods of ricochets and wounding shots on purpose in make believe at range sessions just in case it was a bad guy scenario. Sometimes just getting them leaking is good enough. Perhaps just to get them thinking about something else. Put the bullet where it can do the most good.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gobbleforge,
Great description of a perfect day, let alone shot! Like John, makes me wanna go chase that skunk I ran across in my pasture a few nights ago! Although I'll have to use my BP reloads! :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice story, Gobbler. I still need to order a candle holder from you.
Old Law Dawg
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

w30wcf.
Nice cartridge box. I have a few myself. New is expensive so reloading is the only choice. Personally I prefer to reload. I'll keep your load recommendations in case I have issues with my IMR4227. I haven't had the gun very long and haven't done much shooting with it.
Kim.
Thanks and anytime on the candle holder. We can talk when your ready.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Sixgun wrote:Yep, There's something about hunting with the old cartridges in an old original gun. :D Personally, I would not hunt that much if it wasn't for the old guns I use. There's so much satisfaction and a nice nostalgic feeling busting a meat source with the same tools that were used a hundred years ago.

I believe the archers and muzzleloader enthusiasts feel the same way.

The 38-40 is also my favorite pistol calibered gun (along with the 32-20) for woods loafing. When having the need to bust a crow or a nasty fox out back at distance, I leave the 22-250 tucked away and grab a 218 Bee or 219 Zipper.--------------Sixgun
Me too!! I have taken two deer with my '92 in 38-40. One whitetail and one Mule Deer. This fall, I plan on using one of my '73's in that caliber, or maybe if the shot is inside 50 I'll use the SAA in 38-40. Yep...I gots 4 guns in that caliber...and Yep, it's my favorite caliber.

Ed
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hard to beat wandering the woods and fields with '92. My 32-20s and the 44-40 I have
have accounted for a pile of woodchucks and other critters.

John,
those 30-30 loads sound like fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great story and with my favorite round..
Where's the pics?
we want to see your shoot'n iron!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

That sounds like a trip back in time with an old friend. Wish I was there. 1886.