Strange evening at the range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Strange evening at the range

Post by jnyork »

At this evenings silhouette shoot, we are banging away when we see this doe pronghorn off to the right about 30 yards up the hill, slowly grazing her way downrange with THREE little fawns in tow. Pronghorns regularly have twins but three is a little bit unusual. Anyway, next thing she does is wander out into the line of fire at about the 50 yard line. I walked out there to shoo her off, she just stood there watching me until I got within about 30 feet of her three kids, then they all meandered back up the hill again. About 30 minutes later, back into the line of fire at about the 150 yard line, one of the guys drove out there and ran them off again, but they never did get really spooked, they are so used to gunfire and humans. Anyway, nice to get such a close view of the fawns. We had to run a buck out same way last week.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strange evening at the range

Post by awp101 »

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have had sheep do that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I can understand sheep doing that as they don't have brains enough to get out of the sun, but pronghorns are usually pretty spooky.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

strange behavior for sure. reminds me of the deer on the golf courses in Monterey Ca. Huge coastal mulelies letting you get within feet of them as you play your shot. I guess they get used to people, but shooting, not seen that.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For the first four or five years, I hunted deer from my range house, just sitting at the bench, reading a book, with my .44 Mag revolver or 12 gauge shotgun close at hand. I didn't have to wear camo, since the building was brown wood - I just wore my Carharts... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Then the season starts, and they disappear! That's what white-tails in Carolina do anyway. :?

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Animals must know what a loaded rifle smells like. I can run around all day with a gun, but as soon as I decide to load and shoot, the animals disappear!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Not uncommon for deer to step out on our range as shooting is going on. One day during a trap shoot there was a doe and fawn out about 75 yd. and every once in a while a stray pellet would hit her and she would kick at it like a bee was after her. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We used to have to chase the Elk off the range before you could sight in your hunting rifle. Still see droppings and tracks on the range but no Elk for several years. :D