Sorta OT -- Levers if you count the Trapdoor latch . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Sorta OT -- Levers if you count the Trapdoor latch . . .

Post by Noah Zark »

This is how I've been spending range time this spring:

I picked up the H&R Officers Model Trapdoor (top) in early May at a firehall show for $500, and I posted here before that I got the H&R Trapdoor Musket (bottom) at another show back in March for $600. I've been playing with both at the range using light loads with Unique powder under bullets ranging from 350 gr cast flat nose to old Lyman 535 gr Postell cast bullets bought back in the 80s.

The "sweet spot" loads seem to range from 13.5 gr of Unique for the light bullets to 12-12.5 grs for the 535 gr Postells. Recoil is non-existant, sorta like that of an AR15. Using the above light loads, both H&Rs will chase empty 20 oz soda bottles around the 100 yd berm with ease, and with a most satisfying "THUMP" echoing back to the benches. One sunny morning the light was just right and I could see the 535 gr Postells arcing way up and back down as they went downrange. Way cool. The H&Rs do attract the attention of other shooters, too, about like when I take a Garand or an 1886 in 45-70.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Sorta OT -- Levers if you count the Trapdoor latch . . .

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice lookin' shooters!
I only got to shoot a Trapdoor Musket once, a black powder load at 200 yds. A great experience for me as we don't see too many Trapdoors over here.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

game keeper wrote:Nice lookin' shooters!
I only got to shoot a Trapdoor Musket once, a black powder load at 200 yds. A great experience for me as we don't see too many Trapdoors over here.
Probably see a lot of Winchesters, no doubt. :wink: :D

Seriously, shooting Trapdoors is a hoot, black powder or not. I've fired them before, but always belonging to someone else. Late last year I decided it was time to shell out for a Trapdoor, and I looked at originals, new Italian repros, and a few used H&Rs. I decided for the H&Rs because they appeared to be well-made, had decent reputations for accuracy, and if you keep after the trapsoor latch screws and watch the lever-to-lever shaft fit, H&Rs are good to go, IMO.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nice rifles Noah! Do not know much about the H&Rs, but I do have a passle of originals..all are a hoot to shoot. My low power smokeless is 29 grains of H4198 behing the 405gr LFN's, pretty much duplicates the original 1250 -1300fps out of the rifle. 'Bout 27.5 grains with the 535 Postell. Still work'n on the BP stuff. Kinda cool to watch the bullet go down range though, you can really see it on sunny, humid days leaves a vapor trail.