OT - Colt SAA question - 44 sp / 44-40 Convertible

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Colt SAA question - 44 sp / 44-40 Convertible

Post by 71fan »

I have a Colt SAA question...

I "need" a Colt SAA. I don't have one. I've known this for quite a while, but I've been pre-occupied with leverguns and single shot rifles. I think it's about time to fill the gap. I'm looking at all options - 1st gen through 3rd gen. I will shoot and carry it, so an unturned revolver in the box means little to me.
So here it is. I saw this auction, and I like the package, but I'm not sure how it would shoot: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =131023274

How does it work with two different groove diameters? Would you just load .429s or .430s in the 44-40 cases? Or do you shoot a bullet that will bump up a few thousandths? Any information, opinions, or advice is greatly apprecitated, as usual.

TIA
Last edited by 71fan on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Colt SAA question - 44 sp / 44-40 Convertable

Post by rangerider7 »

I will just put in my 2 cents. The late seventies and early eighties were not the greatest years for the third generation Colt SAA quality wise. At least that is what I have heard and read. Second with very much shooting the nickle will flake. Taken these things into account, it still seems like a great combo. The stag grips alone are worth 200.00. Both calibers are great to shoot. Someone will come on that has greater knowledge than me to help I'm sure.

P.S. Take a look at this website http://www.bar-w.com/saa-generations.html
"That'll Be The Day"
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Colt SAA question - 44 sp / 44-40 Convertible

Post by blackhawk44 »

While I personally don't care much for nickel, that's a decent price in anybody's book. Just be prepared for the two loads to have two different points of impact. My two cylindered Sheriff's model is point of aim with the Special cylinder and low with the WCF. Rather than velocity, that is the difference between 250gr bullets vs. 200gr. I also think that you will find that most Colt and Winchester WCF chambers won't accept a bullet larger than .428". I have several Colts and came upon a "deal" in the early '80's on a 7.5" 3rd Gen. Its action and trigger were terrible, but with the most minor home tuning it became as good as any one I own. It is as accurate as any of the other five .44 specials I own. Luck to you.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I appreciate both of your comments - thank you! Interesting about the nickel I guess given the choice I'd prefer a blued/cased one, but if the right nickel one can around I wouldn't mind. The flaking is a concern though.

I visited the web link - thank you, it's a good reference tool.

I guess if you buy a convertible, you just have to know your gun and figure out what it likes to be fed for each cylinder.

The one I linked is still far from the reserve. It's been listed a few times previously and went as high as 1350 without making reserve. Once I get above 1500 I think I'd prefer to cough up a bit more and get a first or second gen gun.
Chad
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

That's the spirit. Get you a couple of 1st generations in 44 special and 44-40 made after 1900. They will grow in value and be fun to shoot too. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Maybe the plating technology is better today than 100 years ago? In the 80's I had a couple nickel 3rd gen 44 spls. One I carried and shot quite a bit, with black and smokeless, including Keiths old heavy 44 spl loads. It never flaked any nickel. A nickel Smith 29 I had years ago didnt flake any either. Hoppes No 9 will loosen nickel plating tho, if soaked too long, as will some other copper removing solvents. Nickel is plated over a layer of copper plating.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Just size the bullets for the bore, and make sure your chambers are the correct diameter.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1