Question for Kirk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Question for Kirk

Post by hondo1892 »

Kirk do you get unburned powder with 5744 in your 45-60 loads. I loaded some up with 22 grains for my Uberti 1876 and had unburned powder. Do you use magnum primers or standard? It's not a lot of powder for that size case.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Question for Kirk

Post by KirkD »

Hondo, it so happened that I just got back from the range with my '76, so I took a peek down the muzzle. My load is 26.2 grains under a 318 grain cast GC bullet for 1,337 fps, an E.S. of 9 fps, and an S.D. of 4 fps. I counted about 20 kernels in the first roughly 6 or 7" of barrel down from the muzzle. The number of kernels decreased as I looked down the barrel toward the chamber. Maybe there was a total of 60 kernels, roughly. These do not matter to me, as long as I don't have kernels falling out of the chamber and gumming up my action, which I don't have. My load is very accurate, and has excellent burning consistency judging by the very low E.S., so I'm happy. I use either Winchester large rifle primers or Winchester Magnum primers, whichever happens to be handy. Today, it was the Magnum primers. Your load of 22 grains is very mild.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I go through 10-14 pounds of it a year in a dozen different calibers. Its the nature of the beast. Magnum primers do not help. Apply a solid crimp.--------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys. Kirk I started with the 22 grs because that was the recomended starting load. I didn't have enough cases to do as many different loads as I would like. I plan to do load some up with heavier charges this next time around. I hope to get my order of brass from Jamison soon.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

hondo1892 wrote:Thanks guys. Kirk I started with the 22 grs because that was the recomended starting load. I didn't have enough cases to do as many different loads as I would like. I plan to do load some up with heavier charges this next time around. I hope to get my order of brass from Jamison soon.
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering, have you ever tried Jamison brass? The local gun shop has 100rds loaded by some outfit I cant remember the name of and he wants to sell these but he wants $135 for them. I have been using cut-down remington 45-70 brass but was thinking it would be nice to have 45-60 brass that was marked appropriately.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Question for Kirk (xmp5744)

Post by Old No7 »

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so...

Here's some pix of loads from my .38-55 Winch High Wall (which has a "lever"... :D ) using xmp5744 and sr4759:
38-55 Fouling xmp5744.jpg
Cleanliness is next to Godliness is another saying, but in my rifle -- your mileage may vary -- it's also next to better accuracy!!!
38-55 Fouling sr4759.jpg
Both loads use WLR primers and the same 245gr RNFP bullet.

So, you can guess which powder I'm using... :wink:

Either way, good luck and tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I know this is different but the most accurate load in my 6 1/2" 44 spl uses 12.5 gr of 2400 and it always left unburned kernels in the barrel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Morgan Jamison is selling there new batch of brass at $1.28. It used to be cheaper but with metal prices going up and the Obama factor they have went way up.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Kirk what is your starting load for sr4759 for the 45-60? I seen that you have used it befor but I couldn't find it with any of my searches.